Kickstarter pledge levels and discussion

On the steam forums there was a discussion about the amount of copies you get when pre-ordering the $30 package.
I was convinced that you get 2 copies of the game (1 beta that gets converted to full version + 1 full version), But after reading the pre-order page it is really unclear. You can read it both ways, either 1 or 2 copies.
@Tom @Ponder @sdee

This is correct for backers of the kickstarter.

My understanding is that the two copies of the game for $30 was exclusive to the kickstarter + Paypal pledges. Now that these have ended and orders are now placed through the Humble Bundle, $30 will get you 1 copy of the game; beta access > release.

1 Like

The reward tiers on KS were exclusively for us early enthusiasts. The latecomers have to pay - oh they have to pay so dearly MUAHAHA!

2 Likes

This is correct for backers of the kickstarter.

My understanding is that the two copies of the game for $30 was
exclusive to the kickstarter + Paypal pledges. Now that these have
ended and orders are now placed through the Humble Bundle, $30 will
get you 1 copy of the game; beta access > release.

That is the whole problem right? It is not very clear if it is 1 or 2 copies. I can read it in both ways. Especially since they offered 2 copies for the same amount of money earlier I think that it should be stated specifically if it is 1 copy or 2 copies.

[quote=ā€œMiturion, post:4, topic:2572, full:trueā€]That is the whole problem right? It is not very clear if it is 1 or 2 copies. I can read it in both ways. Especially since they offered 2 copies for the same amount of money earlier I think that it should be stated specifically if it is 1 copy or 2 copies.
[/quote]

I believe the shop explanation is pretty straight forward and understandable if you fully read it.
To quote from the buying page

Let me point out: your beta copy automatically updates to the release version. You donā€™t need to buy the game again.

I donā€™t know if it really needs any more clarification?

3 Likes

I put ā€˜my understandingā€™ as I was 99% sure and didnā€™t want to fully commit. Itā€™s my fault really :tongue:

When you pre-ordered with the kickstarter/ during the kickstarter period you were pledging money and receiving the respective tier for your pledge. In this instance $30 granted 1 person access to the beta, and 2 people access to the full game (as shown in my post above).

Once the kickstarter and paypal period ended these tiers went away and were replaced by the ability to purchase using the humble bundle.

A quick read of the website tell us that:

ā€œWeā€™re offering two pre-order packages.ā€

These are the $15 'Release pre-order which

ā€œis simply a pre-order for the fully released game.ā€

And the $30 Beta pre-order which gives you access to the beta and will be updated to the release version upon release of the game:

ā€œWhen the game releases, your beta copy automatically updates to the release version. You donā€™t need to buy the game again.ā€

There is no offer of two copies of the game through the humble bundle, thereā€™s nothing on the pre-order page that suggests that, the little blurb in the humble bundle pre-order box simple says

ā€œPre-order now and get Stonehearth + Beta on releaseā€

The two copies for $30 was a kickstarter reward tier and ended when the kickstarter pledging period did.

1 Like

I just say that you can read it wrong. Which is the case cause I think the opposite of you :smile:
I actually dont care which one is true, it just should be clear on the store page.

It says:

Stonehearth + Beta Access

So you get Stonehearth (full release version = copy 1) + Beta acces (which gets converted to full release version = copy 2)
It is also weird. Why would you say ā€œbeta gets converted to full versionā€ if you already say you get full version?
We got a full 50 % discount during kickstarter and the $15 one did not get even 1% discount.
Plus since you got 2 copy for the same amount of money once, it is even more important to say the amount of copies you get.

Stonehearth + Beta Access to me is you get a copy of Stonehearth with access to the beta.

Stonehearth = copy 1
Beta Access = copy 1

I assume because people might be wondering what happens to the beta once the game is released? This way you just say that weā€™ll be updating the game constantly, and you wonā€™t need to do anything come release of the full version except update your game.

Well, the $15 tier did get the kickstarter rewards etc. itā€™s just the way it is I suppose.

Well, the 2 copies I would say were a Kickstarter reward, and the FAQ at the bottom of the page does deal with this:

"FAQ

Q: Do these pre-orders come with the rewards from the Kickstarters?

A: Nope. Sorry, but our Kickstarter has ended."

thats a very common phrasing now with the minecrafted adopted indie development cycleā€¦ effectively, you release a game in beta state, and continue funding through release (with those who make the beta pledge continually receiving updates up to release, and for the life of the project)ā€¦

its just another way of saying, ā€œpay now, and continue to enjoy the game as it evolves over time, without having to pay anything furtherā€ā€¦

You guys totally dont get the point. It has no use to put up reasons, I know you can read it that way. The point is it can be read otherwise. I did and others did.
They just need to say it explicitly on the storepage to be clear to everyone. Not much work. It would be a shame if it upsets even 1 buyer who has the same view as I already explained above.

Could you send me a link to the steam discussion so I can read through it please?

I understand and get your point, I really do, without reading the discussions it is perhaps difficult to pinpoint where confusion has arisen - I would tentatively say that those people who have come from the kickstarter page or seen the buddy goal image, might think that perhaps the $30 humble bundle offers the same thing as the Kickstarter.

Maybe they do, my argument was that I feel the message is clear, and as @SteveAdamo mentioned above, the message they are getting across is that you pay for this, get access to the beta and every update we produce, which then becomes a full release version of the game upon release.

Perhaps they need to move the FAQ bit up the page to the info about the Beta Tier just saying something like

ā€œPlease note, purchasing the $30 pre-order will gain you access to the Stonehearth Beta, all subsequent updates, and the full release version of the game in 2014.ā€

Hopefully that would clear up any confusion on the matter, as we donā€™t want people confused now do we! :smile:

1 Like

i completely understand the pointā€¦ there is the potential for confusion on the buyers behalfā€¦ and perhaps some more explicit verbiage could be added to the pre-order pageā€¦

im fairly certain though, that a good portion of folks who are familiar with the KS model, understand that the campaigns typically offer exclusive offers to early backersā€¦ the only people who might be confused by the whole thing, would be those who are possibly new to KS, had stumbled upon the campaign (post closure) and then been directed to the current pre-order pageā€¦

someone who had just arrived at the pre-order page directly wouldnt have any issue, as they would see they can purchase beta access, and be done with itā€¦ its those who have also seen the campaign, and for some reason think that there is a one-to-one correlation between both offeringsā€¦

1 Like

You say you understand the point but I dont think you got the message :smile:. You still have the viewpoint of someone who thinks it is only 1 copy. Not of the one thinking it are 2 copies. Storepage is not explicit enough to clarify that.

ā€œPlease note, purchasing the $30 pre-order will gain you access to the
Stonehearth Beta, all subsequent updates, and the full release version
of the game in 2014.ā€

This is just the same message as it is now. I can still read this as 2 copies. It should be something like: "Unlike kickstarter packages this results in only 1 copy of Stonehearth.

You dont need discussions cause I tell you the problem :wink: . But if you wanna read they are in the steam discussions of the stonehearth greenlight-page somewhere.
I think people come to the kickstarter because almost all the youtube videos link to it, even greenlight links to it.

@SteveAdamo
The extra reward from the kickstarter $30 is a pet. I rarely, if at all, see kickstarter games double price after kickstarter ends. And also some kickstarters are actually not cheaper in money than after the kickstarter. And it is not an online game where they have a limited amount of server capacity so those limit beta-acces by higher price. So I doubt that there is something as ā€œbeing familiar to kickstarter modelā€ :blush:

I understand how somebody might assume the beta is upgraded to a copy as well as getting a full release - but as @SteveAdamo and I have both said, I think this would only occur when people have stumbled across the kickstarter and make a connection between the $30 kickstarter tier, and the $30 Humble Bundle tier.

I would have to disagree that my suggestion still reads as offering two full games. But on a serious note is English your native language? Something might be getting lost in translation here if it isnā€™t, which then would definitely be a cause for clarification.

Perhaps taking on board your suggestion:

Please note, by purchasing the $30 tier you will receive one copy of Stonehearth. This copy includes the beta, all subsequent updates, and the full release in 2014."

Well, the rewards for the $30 tier from the Kickstarter are 2 copies of the game, as well as the pet.

Some arenā€™t, some are, I havenā€™t followed enough to comment on this too much, but I think the point @SteveAdamo was making was that there is an incentive to back during a Kickstarter campaign, as you are usually getting more for your money.

1 Like

English is not my native language, but it is good enough, especially reading. I am sure nothing gets lost in translation. :blush:

You can read and/+ as an addition (as in math addition). To clarify:
ā€œPlease note, purchasing the $30 pre-order will gain you access to the Stonehearth Beta, all subsequent updates (beta ā†’ full release version = copy 1), and (math +) the full release version of the game in 2014 (copy 2).ā€

Anyway. Although I think my clarification is clearer, yours is more ā€˜official company message-talkā€™ :smile: I would leave the ā€˜andā€™ by full release out.

Please note, by purchasing the $30 tier you will receive one copy of
Stonehearth. This copy includes the beta and all subsequent updates resulting in one full release version in 2014."

1 Like

Well itā€™s good to know nothingā€™s getting lost in translation! :smile:

The only issue with your clarification is [quote=ā€œMiturion, post:15, topic:2572ā€]
This copy includes the beta and all subsequent updates resulting in one full release version in 2014."
[/quote]

Theyā€™ll be updating the game post-release for (hopefully) many many moons.

A bit off topic but, @Geoffers747 how do you did you create the spoilers on the post?

i didnt see any spoilers in this threadā€¦ but you can just use standard BBCode on discourseā€¦ so this is a spoiler! you can just use the [ spoiler] [/ spoiler] tags, without the leading spacesā€¦ :smile:

1 Like

Well that can be in another sentence. Dont have to cram it all in one sentence :smile:

ok well the expand and contract function, which i normally use for spoilers. but ill remember that one too! :smiley: