None of that is part of water simulation, it’s the way the water can be used in the game. I think when Max is talking about simulation, he means, the water can do all those wonderful fluid-y things, like making waterfalls and changing levels when poured from one container to another, while looking nice and not bugging the game out. That said, I definitely feel the water is under-utilized, and I hope Radiant puts effort into making it somehow matter to the gameplay. @SirAstrix, the things you mentioned specifically are moddable already, so they’re not part of the simulation; but I do agree that it is Radiant who should take the first step to make the water utilized by the base game.
Of the list of things you mentioned, I’d say this is the most difficult one. 80% of modding Stonehearth is just linking JSON files, the remaining 20% is Lua. Now, 80% of Lua is just linking game functions with one another, or writing new functions that utilize the game’s API in an interesting way. The remaining 20% of Lua is stuff that needs math. There are tons of modellers; there are some coders; there are very, very few people who can both do code and the kind of math that’s needed for destructible buildings, water, pathfinding, etc. THIS is where I want Radiant to focus their efforts as much as they can, because it’s the hardest part of changing Stonehearth. I’m certain all the other things are coming soon. Town events in particular, we already have the sandstorm, so they could just build off of that to add new interesting events.
I am personally completely against closing off more parts of the game for higher performance. There are very few things you can close off without cutting off huge swathes of mod possibility. Even the pathfinder was pushing it, I was salty about it in my other reply. In this case, I think Radiant made the right call, because the pathfinder was so crucially important to smooth gameplay. If you were to C+±ize the Task Scheduler, the next most performance-intensive thing as far as I am aware, you would pretty much limit every profession mod to what the existing professions can do. That’s a huge no-no for me, I don’t want this game to be limited to adding armours and campaigns. If you feel differently, that the base game as it is is fine, and moddability is of secondary importance in Stonehearth to you, we will have to agree to disagree.
My ideal solution to this is Team Radiant uses their math superbrains to optimize the existing Task Scheduler lua code, to make it performant without closing it off. Thankfully for me, it appears this is exactly what they are about to do.
To be fair, Max may either be following company policy to keep things vague, or he’s just not part of management and does not yet know what the final decision on those particular issues will be. The former may be related to the latter. A lot of Stonehearth is untrodden ground, and I respect the need to make prototypes before releasing a polished public product.
Radiant have said many times that features aren’t ending. I’m honestly at a loss as to what is making you think that way. It’s been stated in this thread, it’s written on the Roadmap, it’s been talked about in the Desktop Tuesdays… updates are not stopping, content is not stopping. Radiant is addressing the worst pain points one by one. Worst pain point was building, that’s why it was getting all the mixed reviews on Steam. They’re almost done addressing that. Second worst paint point is performance, people talk about things slowing to a crawl at 25, 30 hearthlings. Lots of mention on Steam of that, plenty of mention of that on these forums. That’s what they’re about to re-focus on. Does it not make sense that after they do this, they’re gonna go back to making content? They’re addressing people’s complaints first, before giving people more things to praise. That’s literally the right way to do it.
I respect you calling things out on an admittedly usually overly positive forum, but I do feel in this case you are off base. This point has been addressed repeatedly, and there’s nothing more Radiant can say without being either being fortune tellers or bald faced liars.
Lua is an interpreted language. Code is executed the way it is written in Lua files, I don’t think it’s compiled to machine language. They used to have Lua JIT (Just-In-Time), which I think compiles files on the fly as they are requested, but for whatever reason, this function has been turned off a while back.