(This is going to be a messy post, sorry for that)
So, to build a second floor, you do it in segments, you draw the first segment first, and the second segment second, like the picture below:
(yes, the second segment is drawn over the fist one, I am aware of that. The picture shows them separately.)
I was thinking, what if the roofs worked the same, and if I could tweak the tweakables (offsett, orientation, material, colour) of the roof on each segment individually, like this:
This house is not currently possible without slabs, but in my proposed roof tool, it is.
Here I gave the two segments two different orientations, but I could also do other things like having the two have different roof offset values:
Maybe it is a good idea to have this be a separate option, to preserve the wonderful simplicity and easy-to-use-ness of the current roof tool.
This is how you would go about making a roof with this system:
- pick the option for a complex roof
- draw the segments individually for the side or from its support, whether those are walls or not.
- tweak the segments them separately
You don’t have to have walls for this, so you could also do something like this:
- I propose an extra tool to make roofs in the building editor: complex roofs
- These roofs are drawn in segments like the second floor foundation is, can be tweaked individually and do not require walls.
- With it, you could build something like this: