Make roofs an area tool?

I frequently come into situations where I want to raise one part of a building but not the rest, but keep roofs on the entire top. Or times when I find it’s easier to use “free-standing” walls for some reason, and can’t use roofs at all. It’d be really nice if I could just click and drag an area to say “this is a roof. Put a roof here”.

8 Likes

sims…

That and possibly having a slab roof bit. Also adjustable walls in height… yeah… Some kind of roof tool would be nice. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Always goog to search for topic before adding them. :slight_smile:

Instead, I revive this one here, because I wish there was exactly this. Plus an option to have the roof slope on only one side (hope it gets clear what I try to say with it).

2 Likes

One trick which can sometimes work is to use a floor tool to create a single room, then surround it with “normal” walls, put a roof on that, and then build your next room’s footprint as a separate area of floor with its own separate wall section, and so on until you have all your separate floors and roofs.

The downside is, of course, that you can only make your different roof levels with a vertical gap the same size as a normal wall height. Of course, if you don’t mind having a taller-than average building you can raise the roof level on the lower sections; potentially even enough to get an extra floor inside if you erase the floor level and build an internal floor a couple of levels down (so your two-story building actually has three floor levels inside – the original foundation, a floor built 2/3 of the way up the first layer of wall, and another floor built 1/3 of the way up the second layer of wall, so each floor has 3 or 4 blocks of head room.)

Apparently there’s also a trick with blocking off part of a roof in order to create different roof sections, which would allow you to have different roof offsets on those two sections (e.g. maybe have the middle bit higher than the surrounding roof area)… it’s worth doing a search on how other people did that. It may be out of date, of course, but it’s here somewhere lol.

2 Likes

i dont understand what you mean but if you mean placing stuff on the roof you can already do that