How to support joint translation efforts?

The only other Dutch person I know of on the forums is @Yangzhoui (feel no obligation to help, I was merely using you as a point) so I think that might be the reason behind such few takers :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Haha ok! Didnā€™t knew that :slight_smile: And donā€™t worry Iā€™m still up for the translating job! Although my coding is horribleā€¦ so if I likeā€¦ have to code the translations in. I might need some help! (but if it is just a matter of replacing a bit of texts in the code I will be fine.)

Iā€™d also help translating stonehearth and itā€™s also german :wink:

I am really happy to be helping but it is quite sad that I am the only Romanian around here.
Also i see that Mr. Pirate knows a little of my language.

@Creep_Ro1 But only a little bitā€¦ . :disappointed:.

@PownToK @voxel_pirate Iā€™d also be willing to help with French Translations! :smiley:

EDIT: @bastiweb Just thought Iā€™d let you know that Iā€™m volunteering for french, considering you have the holy list of whoā€™s doing which languageā€¦ :wink:

I do have some questions regarding translating though, in some games, like sims, or simcity when they translate the game from English to Dutch they also translate names of towns etc. Which isā€¦ in my opinion pretty lame! So Iā€™m curious. Is it a must to translate the lets sayā€¦ the tribe names to a Dutch version? Or could I leave the names as they are and just focus on text and job names?

@Ghost I could not imagine who can tell you what to translate. So I guess you can leave names as they are, or change themā€¦ or whatever you feel would fit best.

Agree with @voxel_pirate in that Iā€™m not sure, I mean if you had a Dutch person playing who spoke no English, would they understand what it was, or would they need to understand what it is?

On the other hand translating from English to a Germanic or Latin language is going to be a lot easier than if you were translating it into Arabic or some of the Asian languages; as we all share some similarities it will be easier to grasp what is meant perhaps?

A Dutch person with no knowledge of the English language is pretty unthinkable, we get English on elementary (around the age of 8 I believe) and all the shows etc are in English. But still, letā€™s say a person canā€™tā€¦

In my opinionā€¦ A name is a nameā€¦ especially of charactersā€¦ so these shouldnā€™t be changedā€¦ But I can understand that something named like ā€œSunvalleyā€ or whatever could be translated to " Zonnevallei" or somethingā€¦ Well like you saidā€¦ Itā€™s going to be my choice haha!

Iā€™ll just try my best to make it work! :smiley:

Well they might be from one of the African Dutch-speaking countries?

And I do see the slight dilemma, it would be nice if @Tom or @sdee had an opinion on thisā€¦

ghost if you need some help with the dutch translation just say so, i am dutch myself so i could be of use

hey there @sweetpallyd! any chance weā€™ll see some new models, or additions to your dwarven set? :smiley:

I thought as much! But had to make the point if you know what I mean.

I would probably share that sentiment ā€¦ but then the game is in English, I suppose itā€™s a weird one, and where our languages share similar origins it perhaps doesnā€™t matter as much.

I suppose if youā€™re doing a full translation though you would translate the name ā€¦? I suppose if no word for that exists in the other language then perhaps keep the English.

I know this is a bit of a weak example, and yes I have used google translate ā€¦ so ā€¦ (according to Google) in Dutch, France is Frankrijk? Yes? If you were for example, translating a Dutch game into English, and left it as Frankrijk, I would then call that place Frankrijk ā€¦ if this makes sense at all?

Man this example is so bad. Ha.

1 Like

Well thereā€™s another factor, because itā€™s not quite English. As weā€™ve seen from the months, they are using a sort of middle English style language and I quite like it and hope they implement it for place names as well. Personally Iā€™d agree, Iā€™d call things by their original name and would prefer no translation but Iā€™m interested to hear other opinions on this.

The best part of having a multinational community like this is that we can rely on the expertise of our native guides. :wink: My heuristic: translate names if you think the game (book, story, etc) will be more playable as a result. Since ā€œplayableā€ depends on the perspective of the consumer, thatā€™s where the judgement of the native guide comes in.

Examples: All the names (including Phoenix Wright) in Ace Attorney are puns, so translating them from Japanese to English makes sense. But all the names in say, Dynasty Warriors are proper names of famous historical characters, so even though they might mean something in Chinese (the way Cooper means barrel-maker in English) it makes sense to leave them as they are.

(Edit: It makes sense to leave them as they are because to the target audience, theyā€™re more recognizable as they are than translated.)

So, whatā€™s right for Stonehearth? Letā€™s try a litmus test. Open question to all of you cultural ambassadors: would it make sense to translate ā€œBurlyhandsā€ to your native languages?

P.S. I know weā€™re not active on this thread, but everyone at the office is excited that we have so many volunteers representing so many different languages. Thanks guys!

5 Likes

Hmm ā€¦ wouldnā€™t leaving it as ā€˜Burlyhandsā€™ when translating mean that its meaning is lost? As in, rather than it being a name that holds a certain meaning, it then just becomes a name?

But then it is a name ā€¦ and now this comment is redundant.

Edit: A personā€™s name should remain the same, unless as @Smokestacks has said, there is a specific meaning that would be lost in translation? ā€¦ Also a place name would remain the same if there was no native word for that place?

So where England or London will have a word in other languages perhaps, a specific English town might not and as such would retain itā€™s English name? Does that make sense?

1 Like

I think also, if names deliberately have a meaning then you must translate to keep the meaning. However if itā€™s just a name then yes, leave it as is.

Name of place need to be translated when they are usefull to understand a background. e.g. Think about a place
like Dead Valley: (la vallƩe de la mort in French), this place is very dangerous and have a high risk of death for beings.
So player need to be warn of this danger and an appropriate name is very crucial to give this information to the player.
For other placeā€™s names, e.g Sunrise Mountain, I think it is not an issue or a necessity to not translate it. No essential data in this name.

PS: Enfin un petit FranƧais qui se montre pour apporter un soutien Ơ la version franƧaise. ^^ @Cookie

2 Likes

That is a tough one because on one hand (that pun was not intended) leaving it ā€œBurlyhandsā€ does neither sound good when read through German eyes nor has any other relevant meaning other than maybe being recognized as some weird English name.
On the other hand (jeez sorry) there is no proper good sounding translation because burly means so many different things in German. Our language is quite technical so descriptive attributes are abundant and quite detailed in their meaning, there are 7 translations for burly, each descriptive of quite different details.
So we could translate him as ā€œStrammhandā€ which would preserve ā€œBurlyā€, but we also could name him ā€œStarkhandā€ which sounds way more cool but rather does mean ā€œStronghandā€ in English.

I do like the make more with less approach of the English language, but as I am rather acquainted with English I donā€™t know how less anglophile Germans view the matter.

1 Like