Heartlings are being OK

So I have been enjoying this alpha, however my hearthling’s are always OK.

They have beds, shelter, cooked meals, most have trait appropriate jobs, still not happy.

Here’s where I have a few problems:

1. One Negative outweighs Many Positive
Most of them have their dream job, they have cooked meals,… but the bed is placed in a shared room, so that’s a minor negative so they stay OK.

2. The Bed Logic
No bed to sleep on is –
A bed outside is -
A bed that is shared is -
A bed that is assigned in a shared room is -
A bed in a cramped space is -

I feel that this doesn’t leave me any middle ground. Sleeping in the open is worse then sleeping in a shared room, but they are treated the same. (Besides maybe some heartlings prefer a shared room over their own room)

Also if you had no bed before, and I assign you a bed, shouldn’t I receive a bonus for improving your situation. I would be very happy if I got a bed when I had none, but over time, once I got used to the bed I may want more space, where I was previously happy just for having one even if it was a shared one.

3. Negative Bonus I can’t influence
Certain heartlings have the tired negative bonus. Problem is I can’t influence this. They have beds, It’s up to them to use them. If they don’t, well they automatically get tired. But I as a player cannot control or protect against this.

1 Like

A comfy bed is +, so that can help.

2 Likes

if i remember correctly that is the intended result, sure they’ll have their really good days and really bad days, but in general they’ll sit on being content.

i’ll page @Brackhar for confirmation and perhaps some further input

2 Likes

Different bonuses have different positive and minuses associated with them. It’s true that it’s possible for one negative to outweigh a bunch of positives, but that highly depends on what is involved. For example, it’s intended that being at 10% health or dying of hunger is hugely negative, regardless of how comfy your bed is our how spacious your room is. However, in general a lot of the day to day effects have much closer values; you can check the number of +'s and -'s for an estimate of their effect.

I’ll check the math on the bed stuff, but I’m pretty sure I set it up so that sleeping in a shared room is better than sleeping outside. We made a conscious decision not to expose the numbers directly in the UI, but as your feedback is showing maybe that was a mistake.

As for sleeping, there is an edge case that can cause a problem with the tired thought. We want to refactor a bit how sleepiness works at some point in the future, and in the process we should be able to clear that up. The intended implementation is that a hearthling should only get that thought after the point where they should have gone to bed, but have not yet (due to no bed being available).

6 Likes

Yeah, the math works out as favorable. Here is the hierarchy with numbers:

"slept_on_ground": {
           "happiness_delta": -6,
        },
        "slept_in_shared_bed": {
           "happiness_delta": -2,
       },
        "slept_in_shared_room": {
           "happiness_delta": -2,
        },
        "slept_outside": {
            "happiness_delta": -3,
        },
        "slept_in_comfy_bed": {
           "happiness_delta": 5,
        }

This results in the following intended hierarchy:

Sleeping outside and on ground: -9
Sleeping on ground inside: -6
Sleeping on a shared bed outside: -5
Sleeping in a shared bed inside a shared room: -4
Sleeping in a shared bed in your own room: -2
Sleeping in your own bed: 0
Sleeping in a comfy bed outside: 0
Sleeping in a shared comfy bed in a shared room: 1
Sleeping in a shared comfy bed in your own room: 3
Sleeping in your own comfy bed: 5

I think that covers all of the permutations…

4 Likes

@Brackhar :glum: Sorry, but one that is missing is the one I saw all the time recently when playing Rayya’s Children - “Sleeping in your own bed outside”. Some of the roofs don’t count as such and so the hearthlings have a negative for sleeping outside in their own bed, even though they are really inside and in their own room.

Yeah, that’s a bug we need to resolve. :frowning:

i would love to see a “doesn’t like sleeping alone” and a “likes sleeping alone” personality trait maybe as a THIRD trait rather than out right replacing another trait that could be important like a crafting trait or something.

2 Likes