Hearthlings keep emptying and reflling backpacks

What Happened

I selected many items to loot/steal
The hearthlings would fill up their backpacks with the items marked to loot/steal
Once their backpack is filled the hearthling would empty their backpack wherever they are standing
Then they would start picking up nearby items and repeat.

How to replicate (For me at least)

Find/make at least 3 items nearby one another
Select the loot command
Highlight the group of items all at once
The hearthling(s) will do as said above

Error Code

release-453 (x64)stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:60: bad unit transition “start_thinking” from “finished” in action fill the backpack with ground itemsstack traceback:
radiant/modules/common.luac:32: in function <radiant/modules/common.luac:32>
[C]: in function 'error’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:60: in function '_unknown_transition’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:85: in function '_start_thinking’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:217: in function '_do_slow_thinking’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:275: in function '_fn’
radiant/controllers/timer_controller.luac:32: in function 'fire’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:9: in function <radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:9>
[C]: in function 'xpcall’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:9: in function 'set_now’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:20: in function 'increment_now’
radiant/modules/timer.luac:6: in function 'self’
radiant/modules/events.luac:80: in function <radiant/modules/events.luac:78>
[C]: in function 'xpcall’
radiant/modules/events.luac:78: in function 'trigger’
radiant/modules/events.luac:97: in function '_update’
radiant/server.luac:19: in function <radiant/server.luac:17>

Side notes

The only way I have been able to avoid this is not using the loot command, but for me that causes
a problem because after a day or so the Hearthlings seem to forget or ignore the items left on the ground\

I am currently using Stonehearth 0.11.0 (release 453) x64 build

3 Likes

I have noticed that they do this when there is nowhere to put the stuff they are picking up.

1 Like

Seeing same issues. After two successful Goblin Camp looting sprees with my hearthlings the third (second with wolves) had 5-7 loot items I have 6 hearthlings grouped in the camp area. Each item is dropped by one hearthling, then another hearthling walks to the same location as the first, picks it up, drops it, and the cycle continues. I have several stockpiles with plenty of room, space does not seem to be an issue.

I tried to destroy/remove the items placed on the ground but either I cannot select them quickly enough, or they are not actually being “placed” as the next hearthling has already begun the pickup process.

Do hearthlings have an “ownership” system for items in their backpacks? Looted items are not hearthling created, but many are “craftable” items (stuffed animals, armor, weapons, metal ingots). I don’t know enough about the game’s logic, but it seemed like a possibility.

1 Like

Also ran into this bug, it’s really irritating because while they seem to prioritise crafting and mining over faffing with their inventories, they won’t build anything, so I’m having to throw beds into caves just to keep my morale up, hope this gets caught in the next bugsweep.

1 Like

Thanks for the bug reports. This is a tough one to fix, but we will have a solution for Alpha 12. It generally occurs when they cannot find a path to storage either because there is no path, or because there are a lot of hearthlings (> 15) and the CPU cannot keep up with the pathfinding.

2 Likes