Glassworks [1.2.2]

wow wow wow :smiley: that’s amazing something many waited to use :smiley:

1 Like

Shut up and take my money. It’s so cool

2 Likes

This is really a great mod!
I found a few things that you might want to take a look at:

The cooling shelf seem to accept finnished products from other classes aswell.

The outfit for the glasssmith has some issues aswell:

But all in all this is such a cool project you have made @DaniAngione! I love the whole cool down function and i took this picture during a thunderstorm where i waited for my first glass to cool down:

Thank you! :merry: :heartpulse:

5 Likes

Heya! Thanks for the reports :slight_smile:

Yep, I’ve seen it happen last night as well. It seems to start happening after the latest updates (A24+) when they optimized the inventory things. Annealing Forges are basically Output Bins and apparently the new inventory is overriding the filters IF they have “All” selected. I think I can bypass this by making them Input Bins instead, just like the Glory Hole furnaces :slight_smile:

Well, that’s unusual. I have two glassmiths on my test game (one of each gender) and their outfits seem okay :thinking: I’ll take a look, hopefully just re-exporting the model should be fine

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

2 Likes

8 Likes

Alright, good news!

I just figured out the female Glassmith’s uniform weirdness. It is probably the same issue that happened here:

As for the other issues, I’ll try what I said…
Also found a couple of bad bounding boxes/model origins in some glassware and will be fixing that too…

Aaaaand probably add something that I completely forgot: our Glassmith needs a wall sign too, right? :smiley:

I should push a fix soon™

EDIT
New version uploaded
All things should be smoother now.

Please note that any annealing forges that are already placed should probably be rebuilt for the changes to take effect!

5 Likes

Boy, do I know that feel. My current Miner mod screenshot is crap, it’s literally me running a test on them in my microworld. Not that I had any better ideas… Now that I’m working on my next mod, the only changes I make to the miner are bug fixes.

Very nice mod, I’ll try it once I actually have time to play the game :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hey there! I love your mod, it’s awesome. How long is Annealing supposed to take? Mine has been hot for days and it’s still “too hot”. I did not have this issue in the forest world while playing but I am having it in the dessert…

1 Like

Hmmm, this does sound like an issue. Different items have different times but none of them is over a day, so something is definitely wrong. Would you mind sharing a bit of information?
Which item is it, can you cool any other items or all of them are failing to cool?

All of them were failing to cool. (Amber and Green glass panes and some flower pots.) I don’t know a lot about programming but I’d say it had something to do with timing in general as my poor glass blower left a glob of molten glass on the ground for a few hours and it did not cool either…

Thanks for the report :slight_smile:
I made a quick test game in the desert and my stuff seems to be cooling down normally, however…

So maybe it’s a different issue unrelated to the biome?
Might I ask if you were using any other mods (and which ones)?
And if possible, I could also try taking a look at your savegame :blush:

1 Like

Thinking it could have to do with Yangz Yings? It adds a painters profession along with several other new items. It is the only “new” mod since I had working annealing… Or at least the only “new” one that messes with anything beyond adding new decor (settlement decor) and a couple of building templates (redsong templates)… will test shortly. Sorry for the delayed reply.
FYI mods I already had upon successfully playing with your beautiful mod include the box o’ vox set, stonehearth cafe, box of many (locks and clothings) and primitive armor :slight_smile:

^.^ I love playing with lots of mods, lag or no it’s just so much more fun!

1 Like

Hmmm maybe… I’ll try it out when I can :blush:

And thank you! Yes, I love mods as well ^.^ and now I’m really enjoying making them! :blush:

… or at least trying to! :smile:

You’re mod is absolutely one of the best, in considered construction and implementation. It ads a personalization dynamic that I love just a ridiculous amount ^.^ You did good, and you support it, which is also great lol

1 Like

Curious idea. You may want yo consider the desert biome to slow down the cooling process unless the workshop is underground or in a well-insulated room because of the desert heat.

2 Likes

I know it sounds weird, but in glassmaking terms “cooling” glass is around ~460ºC (something around 860ºF), that is why it is done in a kiln or forge with controlled temperature.

I decided to make it like an open shelf with heat coming from below in my mod for the pleasure (and cuteness!) of watching the red hot glass become usable! It looks cool and it is a way for you to see when things are ready - but in real life the annealing (cooling) process is done in enclosed kilns and forges.

The idea IS to slow down cooling. If it cools down too fast, the internal parts of the glass will still be fluid while the external parts will already be solid, which will result in a mixed, non smooth molecular structure that will result with the glass shattering or being improper for use. The idea of slowing down the cooling by “cooling” in hot temperatures is to make sure that the glass will solidify all at once - internal parts and external parts simultaneously - that way making sure the viscosity of the glass is kept equal on all parts and preventing that piece from becoming cullet - or glass garbage :stuck_out_tongue:

That is why when you let something cool down outside of the annealing forge in my mod, the item breaks - because it actually cooled down too fast :slight_smile:

So, all in all, the desert temperature (or any external temperature for that matter) wouldn’t make a difference for the annealing process since it is meant to be slow and way hotter than any desert anyway :slight_smile:

4 Likes

When you learn more about a trade craft from a videogame than any real life learning material

3 Likes

It was quite fun studying glass to do this mod, to be honest!

I set out to do a simple thing (melt sand, profit) and found out that it is SO MUCH MORE than that. The huge experience and culture around glassmaking (around anything, really) is so interesting and cool that I couldn’t resist, I had to include it somehow.

So I ended up doing quite the “curation” on glass to pick what I could include (and how I could include) that it is kinda sad how much was left out of it. I didn’t want to make it even more complex, though. But it was a nice experience that I plan to share on the second post of this thread (that I left reserved) - all I learned about different ways of making glass, forest glass (wood ash) X soda-lime glass, crown glass X sheet glass, the different metals and chemicals used for coloring it, etc…

Hopefully soon I’ll have time to write about it!

6 Likes

RULE OF COOL BEFORE ALL <3

2 Likes

AHAH! I have discovered the error! Somehow the core mod had become unsubscribed and I was trying to run without it. It is now fixed and I’ve learned my lesson… much chagrin to be had on my part. But I love love love your mod!

2 Likes