Game won't start (fullscreen)

Tried to launch StoneHearth for the first time in a few months and it won’t launch, steam starts to run the game, the taskbar icon pops up but then immediately closes and nothing happens.

I have removed AVG from my computer.
I have updated to the newest version of AMD Drivers.
I have used the 3 Comand Prompt suggestions;
netsh advfirewall reset
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset
I have tried the latest build from the betas in steam.
I have validated StoneHearth’s steam files.
I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling StoneHearth.
I do not have any mods enabled or installed.
I am now opted out of all betas in steam.

Some system info.

I am officially stumped, please help?
Thanks.
edit
Since I figured out the issue had nothing to do with steam I’ve removed it from the title to save on confusion, this is my last edit and I’m leaving the thread as solved, for anyone else experiencing this issue it was fullscreen mode causing the crash for me.

Unfortunately, we weren’t able to reproduce this issue, even though it has been reported several times.

It can affect any game on Steam.

Did you try rebooting your computer?

Did you try running the Stonehearth.exe while logged out of Steam?

I’ve had to reboot several times during my troubleshooting.
I’ve just exited steam and tried again the same result.
I’ll try rebooting one more time.
edit
Just rebooted, launched without starting steam, same issue.

Could you check if the stonehearth.log was generated?
It should be in the same folder than the exe.

If you see a crash.zip or crash.dmp in that folder that corresponds with the time when it crashed, could you upload it too?

There was no log but here’s the DMP
crash.dmp (66.7 KB)
edit
Stonehearth A19 Legacy doesn’t launch either.

I am going to tell you to try and do something strange.
Unhook all peripherals from your pc. So webcams, racing steering wheels, other odd USB-attached stuff.
Then try the game again. (for me it was my webcam causing crashing crash on startup)

This isn’t specific to Stonehearth, but more any game in general:

• Try running the game from a different drive, say if you are on primary drive try secondary or vice versa.
  • Run steam and/or the game as admin (right click exe).
  • Go into the stonehearth dir, into the x64 folder and try running the exe in that folder
  • Windows update

Have you made any hardware changes to your pc since last playing?

1 Like

I have this 'problem, where I boot up my StoneHearth from steam, and it takes several minutes before it actually boots up, but I don’t think that’s the case with you

I think this could be a number of things that could happen to any game as well but here are a few things you could try:

• Do you have the game on an old HDD? it might need defragmenting (file explorer > right click drive > properties > tools > defragment)
  • Try sticking the game on an SSD if it is available
  • Could just be the number of mods you are using
  • Could also be having a lot of building templates

What kind of specs are you using? Other applications running in the background etc, chrome is one hell of a memory hog…

My D: is 0% fragmented.
I have no SSD.
Cannot run from the C: as it’s pretty much full.
No mods, very few templates.
I’ve tried running the .exe in compatibility and admin.
No hardware changes.
No external hardware connected other than monitor, headset, mouse and keyboard.
Tried launching from a clean reboot with no background apps running, not even steam.

As for my specs;

That sounds like the case i had before and it was caused between Windows Defender and Stonehearth with AVG or Avast it was almost instant

Hmm, I’ll have to look into it. Thanks!

1 Like

Alright I’ve managed to get the game working again.

I had to uninstall it and remove all of the files out of the SteamApps/common/StoneHearth folder.
It could have been something to do with old building templates or perhaps the Animations folder or possibly the saves, hard to know which since I just nuked them all.
Re-installed the game and now it launches fine.
edit
Nevermind it launched once, I changed the graphics setting and tried to relaunch, same issue except now it’s running constantly in the background with no icon or window. Have to use Task manager to end the process.
Really starting to pull my hair out on this.
I get the feeling that something stored inside the SteamApps/common/Stonehearth folder is causing the crash.

Alright I think I may have found the issue but it will require some testing, I think the issue is down to fullscreen mode.
I changed in the user_settings.json
"renderer" : {
"enable_fullscreen" : false,
Launched the game and everything launched fine.
I changed the settings in-game to fullscreen and closed it down, tried to relaunch, it crashed.
"enable_fullscreen" : true, was changed back to "enable_fullscreen" : false,
Launched the game again and it worked fine.

This seems to be the issue.