Engine Error & Weird Combat Behavior

Summary:
Not exactly sure where this bug came from. Although I was in middle of combat after using the defend command; by which things got very weird for most of that session. During combat the first time I got:

release-559 (x64)
(1820419 Dazzan Rybb) (stonehearth:combat:heal) bad frame transition to “unit_not_ready” from “running”
stack traceback:
[C]: in function ‘fn’
stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.lua:322: in function ‘private_msg’
stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.lua:515: in function ‘_dispatch_messages’
stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.lua:379: in function <stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.lua:360>
[C]: in function ‘suspend’
stonehearth/ai/actions/run_effect_action.lua:66: in function <stonehearth/ai/actions/run_effect_action.lua:38>
[C]: ?
[C]: in function ‘execute’
…tonehearth/ai/actions/combat/execute_heal_action.lua:108: in function <…tonehearth/ai/actions/combat/execute_heal_action.lua:68>

[C]: in function ‘run’
stonehearth/components/ai/ai_component.lua:541: in function <stonehearth/components/ai/ai_component.lua:525>
[C]: in function ‘xpcall’
radiant/modules/common.lua:257: in function ‘xpcall’
stonehearth/components/ai/ai_component.lua:525: in function ‘_thread_main’
stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.lua:249: in function <stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.lua:246>
[C]: in function ‘xpcall’
radiant/modules/common.lua:257: in function ‘xpcall’
stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.lua:246: in function ‘f’
radiant/lib/env.lua:15: in function <radiant/lib/env.lua:14>

After that error is when things got weird. When finished with the combat, and even during that specific one I couldn’t individually command my units. As in they would not attack from the hearthling level when set to attack specific enemies or even going to location and attack along way. I figured the individual was bugged, so I tried the global for the unit (red flag group commands) and chose attack location, and then they just run off; they were not hungry, or sleepy then.

I ended up getting the same error later in that session as well although got a second page two of it. I will attach a log file. After that I gave command to attack and 2 of my hearthlings dropped to ground and went to sleep, in the middle of combat. My other hearthlings run in terror (workers) while the only 2 that were attacking happen to be the archer somewhat glitching out due to line of sight and my footman. Practically chasing the kobold archer through my town scaring the citizens.

My troops did eventually take care of the stray kobold both times, but shouldn’t they take care of the combat happening before dropping to the ground to sleep? I mean it was in their face a few inches away.

Steps to reproduce:

1. be in combat after using the guard area command in a single session.
  2. use individual and other commands.
  3. See results.

Expected Results:
To at least take care of business that was ordered when guard flag is changed, or to follow Hearthling level commands first before going back to guard commands; when guard is present.
Actual Results:
They acted as if guard was still active and do guard area even when told another command; whether individual or group. Also will sleep rather than fight what is in front of them.

Notes:
A reload did reset the fact the guard was no longer active, and things went somewhat back to normal. The only thing that didn’t was the sleeping part when told to attack to location/specific mob.
Tendency to run off more now with that patch. I don’t mind that they do that, but while there is still an enemy face to face with them, that is a problem; Not to mention almost inside my town.

If needing a save file… I do have one, but it is not at instance this happens. Besides I don’t think it would matter since things seem to roughly go back to normal on reload anyway. Just ask if it is truly needed and I will setup and post one. :slight_smile: (I keep a lot of backups at times.)

Attachments:
stonehearth.log (852.3 KB)

Version Number and Mods in use:
A16 (599) hotfixed
System Information:
NE56R48u (model number)

3 Likes

Summary:
Just got hit up by a stone golem, the step up from the mini guys. One of my soldiers engaged, but was starting to lose, so I selected my second soldier and sent her after it. Immediately got a crash notice. Game did not stop working; in fact, seemed to carry on as normal.
Steps to reproduce:
Uncertain. Wasn’t expecting a UI crash in the first place; not sure what I did to the UI to make it so unhappy.

Expected Results:
Continued basic gameplay.
Actual Results:
Received a startling notice that the game wasn’t working as planned.
Notes:
Running Win10
Attachments:
Here is the complete copy of the crash report.
release-559 (x64)
(984033 Orsa Pounder) (stonehearth:combat:heal) bad frame transition to “unit_not_ready” from "running"
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'fn’
stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.lua:322: in function 'private_msg’
stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.lua:515: in function '_dispatch_messages’
stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.lua:379: in function <stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.lua:360>
[C]: in function 'suspend’
stonehearth/ai/actions/run_effect_action.lua:66: in function <stonehearth/ai/actions/run_effect_action.lua:38>
…tonehearth/ai/actions/combat/execute_heal_action.lua:108: in function <…tonehearth/ai/actions/combat/execute_heal_action.lua:68>

[C]: in function 'run’
stonehearth/components/ai/ai_component.lua:541: in function <stonehearth/components/ai/ai_component.lua:525>
[C]: in function 'xpcall’
radiant/modules/common.lua:257: in function 'xpcall’
stonehearth/components/ai/ai_component.lua:525: in function '_thread_main’
stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.lua:249: in function <stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.lua:246>
stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.lua:246: in function 'f’
Version Number and Mods in use:
No mods. A16 v559, as suggested in the above paste.
System Information:
Win10, recently upgraded. Using a GeForce GT 720.

Hello @Magekind :slight_smile:
Orsa Pounder was your cleric?

This error is not a crash / UI crash. It’s an error that comes from the game when something goes wrong to tell you that there is a bug or some unexpected situation (a crash would be when the game closes on its own. If the UI breaks, hitting F5 might solve it).

Somehow the healing action was interrupted in an uncontrolled manner, I think.
Thanks for reporting this. I don’t know who to ping =S maybe @yshan

Also, do you happen to have a savefile where this error is reproducible, @Magekind ?

Edit: merged with @Tamorr report, they have the same error.

1 Like

Well, I could certainly give it an effort. And yes, Pounder is my cleric. I’ll fire the save up again, and see if things run down the same. If so, I’ll give you a detailed walkthrough of error duplication. If not… I’m not sure.

Another one. Data as follows.

release-559 (x64)
(984033 Orsa Pounder) (stonehearth:combat:heal) bad frame transition to “unit_not_ready” from "running"
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'fn’
stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.lua:322: in function 'private_msg’
stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.lua:515: in function '_dispatch_messages’
[C]: in function 'suspend’

[C]: in function 'run’
stonehearth/components/ai/ai_component.lua:525: in function '_thread_main’
stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.lua:246: in function 'f’

I saved immediately before the combat when I realized it might be duplicatable. The battle in the save goes well, the cleric comes up to the characters afterward and lands a heal, and the message appears.

1 Like