Eco - Minecraft for Education xD

Mhmm, but @Geoffers747 was referring to a Minecraft mod that had such things.

1 Like

Ah yeah that seems kind of strange. You would need some serious time to damage the climate in Minecraft.

1 Like

Not sure how’d you’d even go about it TBH. A surface are of, say, 1,275,000,000,000,000 square kilometres. Now add an atmosphere of, oh, say 10km (7-18km for the troposphere IRL). That’s such a ridiculous volume… I mean, maybe you could freeze society at its modern population but Victorian-era industry worldwide for a few hundred thousand years… yeah okay that might have an effect :stuck_out_tongue: .

Well if you are using some of the industrial mods you could rip up huge amounts of Mincraft and burn the coal and such. I know a few people who could set up a system that systematically could mine out the world without them needing to do anything afterwards.

This is what I was referring to http://www.theguardian.com/environment/green-living-blog/2011/oct/25/climate-change-strikes-minecraft

So Eco have a kickstarter now if anybody is interrested:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1037798999/eco-global-survival-game/updates

2 Likes

haha, i was just thinking of this game the other day, but i couldn’t remember its name.

it looks kinda cool, or at least the concept is cool, i’m not sure about the game itself.

1 Like

I think it looks very promising :slight_smile:

I forgot all about it untill somebody mentioned it while discussing herds on the Oort Online forum :slight_smile:

1 Like

if i had money i would probably support this as an alpha backer, but i dont have money… :laughing:

2 Likes

It does look promising!
I smell a Stonehearth server rising…

1 Like

Dang, if only Eco would be as successful as Stonehearth on Kickstarter! They have 11 days left, and look at their money goal chart:

150k: You basically get to make your own nations
450k: Larger worlds? Large scale conflict?
700k: Space travel? New planets to discover?

2 Likes

It is probably going to reach the “new biome” stretch goal and possibly further, Armello pushed a good 100.000 AUD beause people really wanted to reach the stretch goals.

2 Likes

That’s not quite what it is if you read the posts. It’s a package that includes

• the idea of “owning” land, either by the government or players, including buying/selling/renting
  • taxes for said land that is used for government projects

You get to make your own government (in various types) already without this stretch goal.

I also think that this is more of a picture than anything, I doubt that 700k would really be space - but who knows! They did mention that on Steam that it’s where they might want to head for end game stuff. As for reaching them, Stonehearth pushed on those stretch goals the last few days pretty hard.

Personally, I’m undecided whether to support this game with a developer tier pledge or not. I’ve got burnt on Kickstarter too many times, it’s quite a bunch of money for a game. But then again, if what they say is true, then it would be quite an unique experience - something I thought Stonehearth might could provide, but did not.

Overall, I think I like the game idea a lot and at the same time I don’t think it can work. It’s a mix of various things, not just game design: It’s fine and dandy to have a world and maybe even economy, but to have a thriving (or even surviving) world, you will need to put in some sociology too. But that’s what I think makes it a really interesting concept, unlike Minecraft - where you can just mine whatever you want in whatever quantities you want and the worst that can happen is that there’s a hole in the landscape - player have a real impact on the environment and therefore on themselves. It takes the whole population to keep going, to stay alive. Just one guy acting out could kill everyone.

Also, I love statistics and graphs and all that - and here it would be pretty much required to do it (according to the blog, the idea is that laws have a vote during which a discussion is held using data from the server - so you can “lobby” for or against a law).

I think I really like the idea and I really want to give it a chance but I’m just a tad undecided - maybe because I don’t know too many people that would like to play something like this either. Depending on the balancing and features, you will need a solid group of people that would be your core community… Players that care for the server more than just two weeks.

3 Likes

Well, I don’t think everyone would “die”, but the world would be very crappy. I guess that’s why they have the laws, I saw a screenshot with a law that made it so you could only chop ten trees a day.

Count me in good sir! I’ll build, survive, and thrive with you until a meteorite destroys our planet! I really like the idea that this game has, and honestly, I’ve never really supported anything on Kickstarter…

1 Like

Even if it does not work out as a game i can see it become a quite solid educational tool. :smile:

2 Likes

I’ve read two different stories on that. One was that if the ecosystem collapses, everyone is killed (perma death → ban from the server), the other was that you can’t die because of starvation. In any case, once your environment is dead, it’s to be assumed that you can’t really do anything anymore, so you might as well abandon the world.

3 Likes

It has got that problem where the things that are fun are totally separate from the things that are educational.
Kids will want to build houses, not keep track of the atmosphere readings and such. They’ll probably find a way to play around without ever touching the educational bits.

1 Like

Not if you use it as an active part of the classes instead of just letting them play. Setting goals and regularly talking about progress and how the world is doing would work just fine.

Also this part would bot be possible if you just kill animals and cut down trees the world is going to start dying quite fast.

2 Likes

That’s one of my fears too, that because it’s “educational” means it might be dumbed down. However, I think it’s interesting to see it from an educational point of view.

The game is designed to be played by 4 or more players, which means in a class you could have four to six worlds. They would need to figure out how to keep both themselves and their planet alive, which could be a good lesson in teamwork and sustainability. I doubt they’re going to use the data the game provides too much (or maybe just a subset of it). If they really manage to keep the balance in a way that you can’t just play around but really need to care for your surroundings, I doubt it’s possible to work around it.

In the very least, at the end of the project, you could see who cared about their planet and who didn’t, based on the data that’s provided.

That said, I’ve pledged the game today. Let’s see what I can do with this beauty.

1 Like

Some people think that Eco is just Environmentalists propaganda :frowning:

2 Likes