[Dev Blog] Introducing the Weaver

Yeah, this is what I was getting at. You just said it better. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Itā€™s a gift :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Anyone else notice the mini door stuck inside the regular door after it was placed? Just thought Iā€™d point that out and with thatā€¦ I canā€™t wait for Alpha 4 someone make time go faster!!

2 Likes

[quote=ā€œGeoffers747, post:20, topic:6698ā€]Hopefully ā€¦ Iā€™m sure it wouldnā€™t be too hard to make your ā€˜bestā€™ units have priority for gear! It certainly makes sense.

@Tom any word?[/quote]
Iā€™d like to see something a little more complex personally. Particularly WRT mods and customised gear. For example, you craft a steel chestpiece, which just gives bonus armour. Both swordsman Brutus McHamfist and archer Lewis Egolas will want it - fine. But supposing you create a steel chestpiece of +3 bow accuracy - you wouldnā€™t want Brutus picking that one up.

At least in terms of military units & upgrades, I can see it working out better if the player has to fiddle around manually a bit. Itā€™s not like there wonā€™t be far fewer soldiers compared to civilians in the game after all, so a bit more micro here shouldnā€™t hurt much.

1 Like

good point @Telerosā€¦ and there is a fine line weā€™re dancing around hereā€¦ we know the team wants to avoid an excessive amount of micromanagement, but situations like this need some sort of solution (which Iā€™m sure the team is considering/has already considered)ā€¦

I believe timber & stone uses a unit toggle, where some units will always grab the best gear, while others will grab whatever is availableā€¦

perhaps our units will just continually ā€œshuffleā€ the gear as and when itā€™s available? newbie drops his armor so that Brutus can grab it?

1 Like

Re: gear

Weā€™re pretty sure we can make your units smart enough to grab crafted gear on their own. Eventually, we will probably add the ability to assign units to squads and assign a gear to the squad, but thatā€™s pretty far down the road.

Hereā€™s how the system works now.

• Each class is tagged with a set of roles. For instance, the footman has tags: melee_fighter, combat
  • Each piece of gear is tagged with the roles that it is useful for. A sword is tagged with ā€œmelee_fighterā€. Armor is tagged with ā€œcombatā€. The worker suit is tagged with ā€œworker_profession,ā€ which indicates that itā€™s applicable only for that specific profession
  • Each profession (worker, carpenter, footman, etc) is also tagged with a set of roles.
  • Every piece of gear has a ā€œpower levelā€ rating. If you play WoW, this is exactly like iLevel. Better gear has a higher rating.

When a new piece of gear is crafted, everyone checks to see if that piece of gear is usable by them (according to the role tags on both the gear and the unitā€™s profession). If thereā€™s a match AND the piece of gear is an upgrade (according to the power level rating), the unit will try to grab that piece of gear and equip it. If multiple units all want to upgrade, one of them randomly (more or less) wins.

Itā€™s pretty straightforward to enhance this with a lot of the decision-making you would do as a human being when assigning gear. So this way you can just craft a bunch of gear and your town will get better, without you having to micro manage exactly who gets what.

And like I said, eventually we will add some kind of micro-management UI for those of you who really want that level of detail. But that will come once the game is much more fleshed out, with a lot more classes, mining, advanced scenarios, etc.

5 Likes

Iā€™m really loving what Iā€™m seeing! I canā€™t wait until Alpha 4 is officially debugged and launched. So many new and amazing features!

Now this solves one of three of my issues. Now to wait for mining and the smith and Iā€™m thinking and my next step is. . . .

Oh and some freetime would be useful as well. lol

You just gave me the idea of a Celtic settlement! Canā€™t wait to snigger awkwardly at my half dressed citizens!

1 Like

I love how my concerns over gear assignment, if they could really be labeled as such, sort of boiled away after reading this commentā€¦ sure, I may want to earmark that special piece of armor for Brutusā€¦ but who cares if he doesnā€™t get it, just make some more! :smile:

and thanks for the additional insight into the profession :arrow_right: gear processā€¦ :+1:

1 Like

@Tom just keep in mind that there might be units with very poor gear and others with less poor gear. In such a case the ā€œiLevelā€ with the poorest gear should have priority to be upgradedā€¦ but you already thought about, didnā€™t you :wink:.

That should work fine IMHO. Worst case scenario:

1. You make Awesome Breastplate of Awesomeness.
  2. Put Brutus McHamfist into his own squad of one.
  3. Assign breastplate to his squad.
  4. Once heā€™s equipped it, reassign Brutus to his old squad.

For the rest of your post @Tom, I think thisā€™ll sum up my responseā€¦

:smiley:

1 Like

Will armor be crafted as a set, or will you have to craft individual pieces such as boots, helmet .etc further down the the development stage, or will it stay just as it is with the weaver?

1 Like

based on some early blog posts/prototype images, we know the intent was to allow for units having individual inventory piecesā€¦

not sure how this may have changed however, given the latest on crafting gearā€¦

edit: hereā€™s the old quote on inventory slots (still looking for the image):

We will have individual slots for gear, but probably less slots than you see in an MMO, where there are like 13 gear slots! Something like: head, body, hands, feet, main hand, offhand. So you will be able to craft and mix-n-match gear.

edit #2: better yet, found a post here, where we were discussing the old blog post/imagesā€¦ :smile:

2 Likes

I am excited that we can grow silkweed. When will the sheep make their entrance into the game, idk why thatā€™s important to me, id just like to see them about.

Iā€™m hoping for a checklist of options for producing new equipment.

• Send to Squadā€“We already mentioned this, but again, itā€™ll be a nice feature. Just select a group, and done.

• Upgrade Closestā€“Probably the default setting, compared to the squad setting? Calls the closest unit that can use the upgrade, gradually spreading outward from the Weaverā€™s station (there could also be some way to limit the range of this). This could be good later on for a general item most troops can use, like an accessory (anti-poison, faster speed, etc.).

• Upgrade Strongest/Leaderā€“Tailor-made for the Brutus McHamfists out there. Keeps those epic units stocked and alive so you can boast about them that much longer. (Inversely, you could set it to Upgrade Weakest instead)

These could then be switched on and off, such as Upgrade Closest and Strongest, so if you have one decent military hero in town and a legendary hero unit somewhere halfway across the world, you wonā€™t call the latter back by mistake!

2 Likes

does that mean we get the shield back 2?