Desktop Tuesday: Re-Embarkation

Honestly, this should just be an option placed in the Town Overview UI. There’s plenty of real estate at the bottom of the box. It should be greyed out until it’s an option. The NPC should show up to let us know that it’s an option and where to find it. It should wait there patiently so if/when someone is ready to re-embark they can. If they don’t care, it’s not a bother. We don’t need an alarm to remind us it’s an option.

screenshot%202018_05_03__20_54_13

Graphic design is obviously not my passion, lol.

13 Likes

Speaking of which, if we’re judging based on what’s currently going on in the stream, seasons are 100% confirmed.

2 Likes

I’ll just be watching. I’m aware it isn’t over yet. I’ll just not be playing or posting.

1 Like

I find this solution adequate and elegant. And your graphic design isn’t bad! :smiley:

9 Likes

Heh, thanks. I figured it was an unobtrusive way to display it prominently without havin’ it plastered all over the game session, or forcing the player to hit the snooze button every 10 minutes.

2 Likes

That actually is an amazing idea @Logo! This idea could also be expanded for the Town Teir as well, showing the “goals” to get to the next level.

7 Likes

That’s an even better idea! Instead of constantly having the town tier quest in the notification tab it moves to this spot, and changes upon tier until it ends at the Re-embark button. That darn notification always has me checking even though I know it’s there lol.

7 Likes

I fully support moving more stuff into the Town Overview instead of the ever-present 1️⃣ notification.

Oh, Cid. I just realized those notifications are the equivalent of a Discord @everyone you can’t get rid of. That showed up as a mentionable group to me, so I’m not typing it just in case it actually does work the same way here. Now I hate them even more.

Slightly off-topic: I’d also like there to be a way to see a reduced overview of other towns in multi-player.

3 Likes

It’s in the notification settings. Screenshot of my phone as I’m not at my computer.

No point posting here any more

4 Likes

I like the feverish run, it’s what inspired me to take up modding, there seems to be progress and not a game that seemed to have been simmering in the pot for a year or longer :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

2 Likes

Oh, I intend to do a great many of things. But first, I shall drink my coffee, and then spend the rest of the day being puzzled about this question. (Sometime during this, I will work some on my little pet project which pretends to be a “novel”. Of which I hope one day will make me super rich so I can spend the rest of my days killing myself with alcohol. Yes, yes, one can only dream…)

So what does it matter what I intend to do?

I’m just one of many, a random person on the internet. A delusional fool who is getting overly philosophical over a random question. It likely won’t matter much what I reply to this question, in the grand scope of things that is. The sun will rise and set, and we, as a whole, will continue to drift across space on this giant roundish rock (or disc, it’s up to your belief). All the things we did, do, or will do, will eventually be forgotten.

Over the past years I followed Stonehearth with eager interest. A little sproutling, an awesome foundation which could become a magical place (like Tahiti). It became this so far. Whether it is a magical place or not is a decision to be left for each individual to decide for themselves. For me, it’s almost.

It’s easy to say that we, the little nameless people, don’t matter much. Right here, we all did matter, really. We bought the game and supported Team Radiant in their quest to make Stonehearth. Others went out of their way and created some most awesome mods, tore apart the game to little bits of pieces and with their findings helped TR fix things, expand things, make things awesome. I admire and, in a way, envy these people deeply. I don’t have much talent when it comes to anything, so, for me, the idea of modding and tearing apart the game was off the table. (Well, I did try, but it ended in a ragequit, and so never again.)

Some people have irresistible urge to change things. To contribute. To shape things, the way things go, the world. I am one of these people. And though I failed modding, over the years I did the best I could to be of use by throwing my voice into the soup, provide feedback and make suggestions. Many of us did.

Many of us had different ideas indeed. Often conflicting even. In the end the feedback we, the nameless people, provided mattered, our suggestions often came true. We shaped things. It’s easy to think we don’t matter at all, that we are ignored. But in the end, our collective voice shaped the game. I am glad I was, and am, part of this noisy voice, working hard to deafen all of TR, which all of us together form.

Even if the unlocking of things (forced re-embark) remains without an alternative path to follow, I shall continue to play from time to time. I will just force myself through the questline several times, and in the end extract that one file which holds my dream team. I will make backups and hold it as precious as a gemstone I’ve taken from a dragon’s hoard. After, I will be finally allowed to play as I like. In a way this is a sort of goal, is it not?

Many of us will leave, many of us have already left. Onto other journeys, each to their own. Others will take their places, add their own voices to our collective voice. Some will make mods and make things even better. Someone out there will eventually fix the whole re-embark fiasco with a mod everyone will love.

In the end, life will carry on, because life is far too stubborn to leave things be.

6 Likes

Our next release to stable will be Alpha 24/25, because BOTH the builder AND multiplayer landed at the same time. Woo!

At a high level, I was referring to the many undefined features that people had in their respective imaginations for Stonehearth, so it would be hard to list them. However, I’d say there are a number of people who were hoping for infinite exploration, a kingdom-building metagame, very large cities, AI cities on the horizon and, in general, a larger scope for the game than what the current playable version entails.

5 Likes

Just so its 100% clear in general

So:

-NO infinite exploration
-NO kingdom building
-NO large cities
-NO AI cities
-Limited game area to the current size

is this about the jist of it?

2 Likes

Correct. “Large” Cities is a squishy term so to be even more clear: from a performance perspective, we’d like to have 20-50 hearthlings running around without stuttering, depending on the beefiness of your computer.

6 Likes

We’ll find out together–it depends how many bugs everyone flushes out of the woodwork now that both features are out in the wild .

But u guys will improve that performance or is a Lua’s issue?

This sounds so great, i am looking forward to have 50 hearthlings! :slight_smile:

3 Likes