[Con] Trapper stuck placing trap

Title: Trapper stuck placing trap

Summary: I made a trapper region on higher ground relative to my starting area. The trapper had placed one trap in it, and was apparently attempting to place another one, but was stuck and visibly glitching. The debugging tool in the bottom right seemed to be pulsating in unison with the glitching. I would think it might have something to do with the trapper’s path back to town being blocked with the building I was building close to the ladder down, but it wasn’t built yet when the glitching started so it probably shouldn’t block anything, and anyway, the trapper probably wouldn’t be trying to get back to town yet if he was indeed still trying to place a trap (although he’s hungry, so maybe he actually does mean to go home).

Removing the trapper region released him.

Steps to reproduce: Not too sure the cause, but feel free to check the video.

Attachments:
First noticed at 4:43. With debug info at 6:55. The precise nature of the glitch had changed slightly by 9:17. Sleep did override all this at 10:13, but upon waking at 10:54, the problem continued. Trapper region removed at 11:58.

Versions and mods: No mods, latest release version in Steam at the time of writing, version 0.1.0 (release 118) according to the title screen.

System information:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
DirectX-version: DirectX 11
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

I’ve been getting this bug too… tends to happen more often in my “meat farms”:

My stockpile is well within reach, so I don’t think its an issue with the path.

In that case I think it’s probably to do with hunger. In which case it’s reminiscent of this bug, except the task may be less sensitive to cancelation? When it happens for you, does it show the hunger icon above your trapper?

I haven’t noticed him having a hunger icon when he gets stuck, but I’ll look out for it. I’ve also been trying to catch him as it happens, but I’m too easily distracted!

1 Like

An alternative might be tired—see this bug.

Alright so I started a new game, made a new meat farm – 12 3x3 hunting zones placed next to each other. The trapper was doing just fine until I noticed him having problems placing traps.

|1| |2| |3|
|4| |x| |6|
|7| |8| |9|
|10| |11| |12|

Let’s say zone X is the one at which he freezes. He’ll start off at zone X and place a trap. Nothing gets placed. He’ll then turn to an adjacent zone, pick up a trap, return to zone X and try to place another trap. Again, no trap was placed. This happened about 6-8 times, at which point he got stuck trying to place yet another trap in zone X.

He wasn’t hungry and immediately finished placing his other traps when I removed zone X.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

I get the same problem all the time as well.

I notice this happens more often if you do more then one trapping zone.

1 Like

You mean the frequency increases more than linearly/proportionally with the number of traps placed? Because if it was just a chance per trap you would also expect it to happen more often with multiple zones, as each zone gets at least one trap (which was the basis of @phector2004’s meat farm).

The Bug also occured to me after walling my settlement in and having the trapping zone outside of the walls. Trapper got stuck in it’s animation of setting up the trap.

This was a tough one to find. Thanks for all the information, and particularly to @phector2004’s meat farm for which I was able to get a reliable repro. This fix will also correct a number of other stuck worker problems.

4 Likes

I’ve found that if I wait for the trapper to get hungry or sleepy after the bug occurs, he becomes unstuck. Dunno why.

Well, as you can see in my video, that didn’t seem to happen in my case. That is, he was already hungry from the start I think, but he certainly got tired and went to sleep, only to just continue again right after waking up.

Anyway, it sounds like the bug was already resolved, so that being the case, we’re good either way :smiley:

I have a similar bug, I think. Not entirely sure what caused it, but it happened shortly after a new carpenter arrived and caused the following error message:

A video showing the bugging trapper can be seen below:
(EDIT: or it would be if I could figure out how to embed videos here)
(EDIT: Ok, I’ll just link the video instead)

1 Like