Building problem due to scaffolding

Here is another case where the hearthlings create the scaffolding in a strange way. A 2 story building with a hole in the 2nd level floor so the hearthlings can get up to it. They build the scaffolding all the way up the outside of the 1st level, but then insist on switching to the inside for the entire second floor.

@Tuhalu, could they end this building?

I tend to agree with Frederico. I kind of feel, at this point, that maybe a partial solution (from a dev perspective) is to simply cheat. Increase the ā€œreachā€ of the Hearthlings while building, requiring less scaffolding.

Or just give them the ability to treat ALL walls/pillars as if they were ladders while they are building. So they donā€™t need scaffolding at all. They just scale the walls.

Yes. Just pointing out this example since there is very little reason for them to decide to work on the inside when the outside was perfectly fine.

I also tried making a building where it was exactly the same but the upper floor was 1 tile smaller all around. For the upper floor, they decided to put the scaffolding on the inside to the north and south, but on the outside to the east and west while they were building the walls.

Perhaps are they calculating there is less scaffolding inside than outside? These guys are becoming lazy it seemsā€¦ :sweat_smile:
Seriously, only Chris could tell us about the logic behind the last change he did on the topic because actually itā€™s odd indeedā€¦

I just had a building built (it looks like itā€™s about to complete as theyā€™re on the roof portion now), but to do the roof they built scaffolding around 3 of the walls, inside and out, and outside on the 4th wall because it had a higher top part. That kinda seems like over kill to me. Plus there were several ladders as well, some unnecessary. Slows down the building, temporarily takes up extra logs.

Tried to upload an image but Iā€™m too new :smile:

edit: Latest dev build

The Hearthlings building scaffoldings on the inside seems to be a bug, atleast when all four sides of the structure are completely free of obstructions. Iā€™ve noticed that whenever building something in this new release, they will make three scaffoldings on the inside and one on the outside. Then, once theyā€™re finished with the walls, theyā€™ll tear down the scaffoldings inside the building and put them up on the outside. Iā€™m not sure what caused this bug, but Iā€™m always noticing pathfinding taking up 30+% of the engine when something is being built.

I havenā€™t forget about this topic!

So with the brand new 2650 and so new pathfinder and new AI, it was time to redo a test and see if our hearthlings have gain some agility.

Deception! As soon as I tried to add walls I got this error:

develop-2650 (x64)...arth/components/fabricator/fabricator_component.luac:148: building color to material map has no entry for color 10464176stack traceback:
	[C]: ?
	[C]: in function 'error'
	radiant/modules/common.luac:118: in function 'error'
	...arth/components/fabricator/fabricator_component.luac:148: in function '_tag_to_material'
	...arth/components/fabricator/fabricator_component.luac:128: in function '_create_material_proxies'
	...arth/components/fabricator/fabricator_component.luac:360: in function 'update_blueprint_region'
	...arth/components/fabricator/fabricator_component.luac:363: in function '_trace_blueprint_and_project'
	...arth/components/fabricator/fabricator_component.luac:102: in function '_initialize_fabricator'
	...arth/components/fabricator/fabricator_component.luac:80: in function 'start_project'
	stonehearth/services/server/build/build_service.luac:116: in function 'add_fabricator'
	stonehearth/services/server/build/build_service.luac:123: in function '_create_blueprint'
	stonehearth/services/server/build/build_service.luac:227: in function '_fetch_blueprint_at_point'
	stonehearth/services/server/build/build_service.luac:230: in function '_fetch_column_at_point'
	stonehearth/services/server/build/build_service.luac:231: in function '_add_wall_span'
	stonehearth/services/server/build/build_service.luac:199: in function 'visitor_fn'
	stonehearth/lib/build_util.luac:264: in function 'grow_walls_around'
	stonehearth/services/server/build/build_service.luac:199: in function 'grow_walls'
	stonehearth/services/server/build/build_service.luac:189: in function 'cb'
	stonehearth/services/server/build/build_service.luac:304: in function 'do_command'
	stonehearth/services/server/build/build_service.luac:189: in function <stonehearth/services/server/build/build_service.luac:188>

And then, no way to add the walls anymore, the ground get a nice red cross pointerā€¦

(sorry for the screen, this is the french versionā€¦ :flushed:)

2 Likes

Hey @sdee, @ponder, and @not_owen_wilson (and @Albert as he has responded in other building threads) : while I cannot replicate this error (from version 2650) in release 472, I can confirm that one cannot fully build walls when there is terrain within 2 blocks of the top of a wall. It seems the AI requires the Hearthling to be standing at the level they wish to build on, but this does not allow for buildings to be build ā€œunderā€ stuff. Would be nice to allow building in a similar method as mining, allowing for some ā€œreachā€ above their current level.

Still an issue in A15 @not_owen_wilson, dug out a 12 wide by 12 long by 6 tall mine, tried building foundation plus walls in that area, Hearthlings would not complete it.