Thanks for putting this up. I had some fun with this game. Kind of addicting even with all it’s shortcomings. My take on the game: (Instead of my usual wall of text I’ll just put a few points up)
This game is quite a lot of fun to play but it frustrates me in several ways at the same time.
- Quick matches
- Very Quick to get a match with the matchmaker compared to games with much higher server populations.
- Matches are of close tier groups especially considering very low server populations compared to other FTP MMO FPS games. (unless you play at a time with very low population, but even then the tier spread is pretty small.
- Very good pace of progression, maybe even too quick
- Due to the nature of the game, you can upgrade your vehicle after pretty much every battle
I haven’t reached the highest levels of equipment, but after about 8 hours of play I’m almost 1/2 way there on most types of tech. Research goes quite quickly, it does take longer to earn the in game credits to keep up with your tech, but it’s still a quick progression.
- Vehicle editing is done completely wrong. They should look at the KSP vehicle editor, or even Lego Digital Designer (which is even better at it). RC uses minecraft style voxel editing which is very, very, very, cumbersome compared to a proper 3D module based object editor.
- Although the 3D engine seems quite capable the in game assets are of quite poor quality for the most part. (for example you can literally see the corners and edges of the sky box, so it looks like your playing inside this giant cube with very cheesy paint of different alien sky’s. The star’s on the sky box look horrible, like big blobs.)
- Due to the vehicle classification system it’s very easy to build a small vehicle with a few high level components that will be classed as tier 1. So a high level player can easily go Noob stomping with powerful weapons, which is not good for people just learning to play.
- There are no penalties, or scaling system for vehicle designs. The limits are linear. So you can spend all your available build points on a vehicle with say 40 guns on it.
I would suggest they should have some sort of scaling increase in design points for increasing numbers of the same type item (except chassis blocks). This would allow for extreme designs but make you sacrifice more of your available design points for them.
Well, a bit more of a WOT then I was thinking but hopefully it’s helpful for some. I guess I should put something like this on the Robocraft forums, but this is my favorite online discussion community so I like using the time I spend writing online here .
Edit I do realize this game is still in Alpha (strange when they are selling in game currency). Hopefully they improve on some of these shortcomings.