About UI and Gameplay Lag

Hello team SH, I love your game I bought it recently and I was hooked. I played every day, but there is a problem with the UI. After a while my UI responses really late so I have to restart the game and the big problem is I don’t want to lose my save so I have to sit through like 3-5 minutes of unresponsiveness, unfortunately.

Here are the mods that I use:

-Piles Plus
-Clear Skies
-Lodewell Lights(Continuation)
-Yangz Yingz
-Obligation/Timer Tracker
-LostEms
-UnitFramePlus
-Workshop Inventory Display
-Kai Monkey’s “a few more landmarks” - Version 0.1
-Extended Buff Durations
-7 Starting Hearthlings
-Furniture Expansion(Continuation)
-Animalot
-White Cliffs Biome
-High Class
-Patrol Points
-Herthlings of Many Faces
-Stonehearth Doorways
-Super Mod 12(Cheat mod)
-Dense Fields
-Fortify v0.6
-Sacred Grove Biome
-Specialized Loadouts
-Glassworks
-Box Command Tool
-Signery
-Brewery Mod
-Rivers
-Dani’s Core Mod
-Primitive Armory
-Lorkis Biome
-Home Sweet Home
-Finery
-Ballista Turret
-Canyon Biome
-Archipelago Biome
-Stonehearth Cafe
-Miner Profession
-Better Storage
-Auto Harvest
-Smart Crafter
-Armis Maximus
-Settlement Decor

Phew, that’s a lot of mods. I use “some” downloaded templates from steam workshop and other sites. But I don’t think templates impact on the game shouldn’t be that much. If I have to say when I start a new game I have a lot of FPS like 200 or so but after 4-5 hours and 5-6 houses later the game starts to lag so much, FPS drops to 20-40 and UI becomes unresponsive. This is killing my gameplay and I don’t want to start a new game every time this happens.

Thanks for your replies.

That’s a lot of mods! Beyond whatever memory/performance leaks of the base game, some of those mods may very well be reducing performance over time. You may also be running into general performance limits due to lots of hearthlings, lots of enemies, or lots of items. One thing you can try is pressing F5 to refresh the UI when it starts getting slow, but that will only help the UI getting slow, not the actual game.

The bad thing is I’m used to using these mods. Now sadly I can’t play without them… I will try refreshing the UI when it gets slower. Thanks for the response.

I’m just saying it’s hard to tell with all those mods what the sources of your performance issues are. Though many of them are either biomes (in which case only one should be active) or more assets (which could slightly slow down the game overall, but shouldn’t result in slowdown over time).

That’s what I always been thinking too. If it’s a mod problem then the game should slow down from the start. Not just sometime later. That’s how it always goes when I play other games with mods…

Really depends on what you use. Anything, that has an active component, may produce leaks. For instance, when I had a similar problem, it was caused by “Town Monitor” – displaying the total number of some item in stock doesn’t sound like it can cause gradual slow-downs, but there it was.

In my case the slow-down occurred over each session and was temporarily fixable by restarting the game, or just the UI (F5).

I’m kind of curious how you achieve 200 fps though. I was never able to reach 40 fps, even on a new game. And I’m running it on a gaming laptop (Acer VX15, quadcore version with GTX 1050 Ti), which should provide plenty of performance. Instead, for Stonehearth, it didn’t outperform my old Thinkpad (slightly slower quadcore, but much weaker GT740M) in no noticable manner.

As paulthegreat mentioned, any mods that touch the UI could potentially have memory leaks or become less performant as your town grows, especially if any of them use any type of inventory tracking (once you have a lot of items, they can become extremely performance intensive).

Could you send over a save where the lag starts to happen? This would be useful for us to look at when working on UI performance.

1 Like

@Yurippie here are some instructions to send a savefile:

1. Find the save folder for the saves you wish to upload. By default, they are located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stonehearth\saved_games (assuming a default Steam install).
  2. Zip the folder.
  3. Right click the folder (should be a long set of numbers).
  4. Left click on Send to in the menu that appears.
  5. Left click on `Compressed (Zipped) folder).
  6. (Optional) Rename the folder to something different than the default set of numbers.
  7. Upload the save.
  8. If the zip is less than 10 MB, you can upload it directly. Either use the upload button or drag and drop it into the compose window,
  9. If larger than 10 MB, upload it to a cloud storage site like Dropbox, Google Drive, File Dropper, etc. and post the sharing link here.

Does the lag go away if you restart the game and load that savefile?