[A16/A17] The buildings my hearthlings will not build (round 2!)

I have a building under construction in my current save that builders cannot finish. They enter into an infinite loop while trying to build the walls.

Example GFY: Gfycat GIFs GIF | Create, Discover and Share on Gfycat

Link to the save: Dropbox - Link not found

1 Like

My people started building but couldnā€™t finish and one of my guys managed to trap himself in the interior of the structure. This one has an open interior.
One other thing. If the devs could build some sort of way to demolish buildings after theyā€™ve been built or are being built that would be awesome. Looking at half completed structures or structures I just no longer use gets to be annoying and I would like to use that space for something else.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, @Mateo245 :smiley:

Could you upload the template of your building?

Iā€™ve been impressed with how much better the building has become! I do have a tower which will not complete without help and all scaffolding is not taken down. A17B593 no version straddling and no lua errors. Toward the end I saved, reloaded and they took down almost all the scaffolding but did stop again at one point toward the end.

On the first floor usually a section of the roof is not completed and the design above where the doors will go do not complete.

The red circle is the design area they usually stop building and the yellow circle is some of the walls they usually get stuck on and also do not complete. The blue roof section directly above the circles on that same level usually is not finished. At this point with some help from ladders they are able to move on to the next section.

On the next section/floor they usually become stuck around the roof section again and the designs being built up are too confusing for them.

Once more ladders are built to help them along they usually are able to finish this as well. They are however confused about taking down scaffolding along the way and there are a few places where scaffolding/mainly ladders are stuck in walls.

This tower is part of a group of templates Iā€™ve been making for walls/castles and this particular template standing on itā€™s own has the most problems building. Usually if the other walls are at the entrances they do better.

This buildingā€™s template: cornertower.zip (40.9 KB)

Thanks again for all the hard work, np-complete problems huh? No one has proven those to be impossible to solve an algorithm for yet? Just solve it and become billionaires!

-Matthew
1 Like

Posting this on behalf of @Giant in this thread. Hereā€™s the template including a save.

Crash log:

release-593 (x64)[M]
stonehearth/lib/build_util.lua:566: assertion failed!
stack traceback:
[C]: ?
[C]: in function ā€˜assertā€™
stonehearth/lib/build_util.lua:566: in function ā€˜unpack_entity_tableā€™
stonehearth/components/floor/floor_component.lua:115: in function ā€˜load_from_templateā€™
stonehearth/lib/build_util.lua:117: in function ā€˜load_structure_from_templateā€™
stonehearth/lib/build_util.lua:125: in function ā€˜load_all_structures_from_templateā€™
stonehearth/lib/build_util.lua:129: in function ā€˜load_all_structures_from_templateā€™
stonehearth/lib/build_util.lua:455: in function ā€˜restore_templateā€™
stonehearth/services/server/build/build_service.lua:1567: in function ā€˜build_templateā€™
stonehearth/services/server/build/build_service.lua:1558: in function ā€˜cbā€™
stonehearth/services/server/build/build_service.lua:1533: in function ā€˜do_commandā€™
stonehearth/services/server/build/build_service.lua:1557: in function <stonehearth/services/server/build/build_service.lua:1555>

2 Likes

2 of my current buildings that wont build. Currently the hearthlings get pretty far along, then just stop forever. Iā€™ve done some work pausing, editing, and resuming, to see if anything I do makes my hearthlings continue to build. I think Iā€™ve possibly pinpointed a few issues, and can make some possible suggestions to help combat the theoretical problem Iā€™ve figured out: whenever there is an interior/exterior part of the building that requires scaffolding to be placed, it puts it up regardless of whether or not that scaffolding is being built in an area where another wall/object is supposed to go, and once construction reaches the area where scaffolding is now blocking further construction, my hearthlings stop building. (this works also if they build the building part first that now blocks paths of scaffolding) a way to visualize this complicated explanation - you build a first floor, and then you build a set of stairs on the second floor that connect to the third floor, and the stairs are along the edge of the second floor wall. These stairs are build first, but the scaffolding to build them is now in the place of where the second floor wall should be. the scaffolding is not taken down, and the hearthlings wont build the outside wall. This happened also on my other building, where they build a part of an exterior roof that blocked them from continuing to build a tower that connected to the roof upwards, since the roof now covered where the scaffolding was supposed to build.

Either way - I think I have a possible solution to solve this, and also a suggestion for simplifying building possibly. 1 - make the scaffolding work as a noclip with buildings. this way even as the hearthlings are constructing scaffolding, it will not be interfered with with any inside or outside construction. and the suggestion - make the scaffolding itself work like a giant ladder, and do away with ladders specified for building. it seems hearthlings can get confused with ladders/vs scaffolding, but I could be wrong. This entire post is probably useless as I know nothing about programming/coding, but maybe somewhere in my ignorance is a tidbit that could be construed as useful. :smiley: P.S apparently even though Iā€™ve uploaded broken buildings before Itā€™s now considering me a ā€œnew userā€ and saying I canā€™t upload attachments. I guess I can upload my zipā€¦later? also this was for alpha 17 release 593.

1 Like

New Alpha, new round of building improvements, new thread perhaps?

2 Likes

Hello,
I am having issues with my Hearthlings building this template in Alpha 17, release 610 build. I have copied the error to the pose below as it seems the Hearthlings cannot comprehend the structure of the template I have built. As soon as I said start building an error popped up and they were unable to build any of the structure. I would upload the zipped template but since I am a new user, I am not allowed so here is a screenshot instead.

release-610 (x64)
ā€¦ices/client/renderer/construction_render_tracker.lua:267: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
radiant/modules/common.lua:237: in function ā€˜report_tracebackā€™
radiant/modules/common.lua:248: in function <radiant/modules/common.lua:242>
ā€¦ices/client/renderer/construction_render_tracker.lua:267: in function ā€˜_update_cameraā€™
ā€¦ices/client/renderer/construction_render_tracker.lua:208: in function ā€˜fnā€™
radiant/modules/events.lua:224: in function <radiant/modules/events.lua:221>
[C]: in function ā€˜xpcallā€™
radiant/modules/common.lua:257: in function ā€˜xpcallā€™
radiant/modules/events.lua:221: in function ā€˜triggerā€™
radiant/modules/events.lua:262: in function ā€˜_fire_async_triggersā€™
radiant/modules/events.lua:337: in function ā€˜_updateā€™
radiant/client.lua:43: in function <radiant/client.lua:38>

I also cant even remove the glitched template from my world to try again. Please help meh.

Right now, Stonehearth has issues with designs like yours that have a divided base. The workaround working for me is to draw only one big foundation and then use the wall raising tool for the two or more main parts. After you connect both parts with a floor you can delete the surplus foundation with the eraser tool.
Canā€™t help you with the glitch, Iā€™m afraid. Save early save often applies here as well, hoping youā€™ve got an earlier save.
Edit: Connecting both parts with slabs only also works.

Will give that a try, thanks for the tip.

relatively simple building; i think itā€™s the pillars messing it up - they get about half way and then stop:

asdsd.zip (26.4 KB)

a17, 610

How far exactly is ā€œhalfwayā€ in this instance? A screenshot for comparison would be helpful.

Hello! I am a semi-new player, and have fallen in love with this game. I fear I may have gotten too ambitious with my builds. In an attempt to avoid the spreading out that I blame for the fall of my first village, I decided to build large, multi-room buildings. While my dining/sleeping/storage building using slabs to cordon off the rooms was a success, I decided I was not satisfied with that solution. So, for my next building, a crafting hub for the carpenter, weaver, and herbalist, I laid down 7 separate yet nearby floorplans, raising walls and roofs over all of them and connecting the gaps using slabs.

That was probably my mistake.

There were problems from the moment I started building the darned thing; something kept throwing an error I have forgotten, and I ended up saving the plans and console erasing the ghost plan that refused to vanish. After actually breaking ground on the placed template, 3 of my hearthlings got stuck in the walls and needed to be teleported out. After about 5 of the roofs were raised, they justā€¦stopped. No more progress was done on the building whether I paused it or not. Since I started on this abomination, I have recieved these errors on every load:

1: release-610 (x64)
ā€¦hearth/components/scaffolding/scaffolding_region.lua:652: attempt to index field ā€˜_owning_scaffoldingā€™ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
[C]: ?
ā€¦hearth/components/scaffolding/scaffolding_region.lua:652: in function ā€˜_start_erasingā€™
ā€¦hearth/components/scaffolding/scaffolding_region.lua:201: in function <ā€¦hearth/components/scaffolding/scaffolding_region.lua:194>

2:release-610 (x64)
c++ exception: lua runtime error
stack traceback:

the craftworks.zip (17.0 KB)

I figured this building would not work, given the nightmare it was planning the thing. I had sworn to try something different for my next construction, a similar hub for the mason, blacksmith, and potter. This time, along with using the standalone wall tool as walls between walls, I made it two stories, the bedrooms connected to the ā€œroofā€(actually a floor) by external stairs, as internal stairs had caused multiple major yet harmless glitches in my last village. Ultimately the upstairs bedrooms compiled as a separate building, for which I am thankful; if it was part of the lower floor, I doubt that would have constructed at all.

The construction went great, if resource-intensive, until it got to the ā€œroofā€. It built only a third of the roof before my hearthlings gave up. Another portion constructed when I started on the bedroom annex, but a significant portion of the ceiling is still unbuilt, never mind the 3 doors in a row required to go between rooms. The bedrooms, by the way, built without a hitch, although 2 doors were never put in place.

the stoneworks.zip (7.1 KB)

I am fairly forgiving of this game, it being an alpha build, but I am disappointed by these constructions, which now sit as unfinished eyesores, their plans visible in certain modes taunting me with what should have been. I hope this information helps make this game even better.

1 Like

A18 D3085

Decided to give @not_owen_wilsonā€™s latest algorithm a test against border conflicts. I hollowed out a hole in the side of a hill exactly 9 wide, 8 tall and 10 deep, which is the exact dimensions of the Little Clay House standard building template (minus the roof beam nubs that stick out the front).

This means that the beam nubs that stick out the back create an otherwise-empty one block gap in the back, but the front wall sits flush with the cliff face.

Amazingly, the algorithm got everything done correctly save for the roof, which it magicā€™d into place, and the back wall has a latticed window in it which the algorithm wants to have built from the outside. This is because, as mentioned above, there is technically space to put a ladder up on the outside of the building. Unfortunately, Hearthlings cannot path to that ladder location because there is no room to walk around the outside of the building.

Itā€™s actually quite possible to place the frame from inside the house, it just chose to use the outside of the building when it wasnā€™t pathable, and so that part of the build stalls.

Screenshots:
Worker fell asleep back there. Was worried for a minute they might entomb him, but he woke up in time:

Interior shot showing the stalled ladder and window:

Finished front view:

4 Likes

town floor.zip (49.9 KB)

Hey Team Radiant!,

This custom template is one that is comprised of a small town, along with its pathways. These are small buildings, all complete with doors, windows, and no furniture or decoration.

The error Iā€™m having is that when I instantly build, or have my Hearthlings build this template, only two of the buildings, and always the same ones, will be fitted with doors and windows. The rest of the buildings however, although still having the ā€˜ghostā€™ version of a door and or window, will not be filled.

As well, when the Hearthlings are ordered to physically build the template, all of the doors, windows, what have you, do not go directly into the Carpenterā€™s crafting order listā€¦ thing.

If it matters, this town was created before the final release of Alpha 18, the template was created / saved after the release, and currently, Iā€™m playing on Alpha 18 Release-610 (x64).

Hope that helps. Thanks guys!,
-Surly

1 Like

1471179133546.zip (5.1 MB)

Alpha 18 [latest] And jet again a Building wont be finishedā€¦ reason is now very clear:

The ROOF that sticks out INTO the WALL next to it. So Heartlings find it rather annoying to dig out the holes and than build the roof into them.
I can imagine, that this is a Problem that wonā€™t be solved so soon.

Also again my Heartlings dug out one Block all together at once like ā€œDIEEEE YOU BLOCK!!!ā€, but it was already long gone xD

I have a good one for your Alpha 18 Name: Wreck it Heartling (Like in ā€œWreck it Ralphā€)

1 Like

Iā€™m cursed. My settlement is just cursed. After my previous buildings failed to construct, I decided to build something simple: a big, public staircase(mostly so my hearthlings would stop climbing the scaffolding of my failed building to get to the next hill where the mine was.

the grand stair.zip (1.9 KB)

All things considered, this one actually got to a functional state; however, most of the right side railing failed to build. I blame my usage of slabs, as apparently you can only build one size and color of stairs per construction(whether that is a bug or a feature is unknown to me), and perhaps some botched mining in an attempt to make construction easier.

1 Like

Hmm this is listed as Alpha 17 on the main menu and build 610 (64 bit version)

Hmm not quite sure what is going on with my building though I will admit my Hearthlings have gotten stuck often on it while building and then reached a certain point they just stopped building it. I have the resources to build it.
The scaffolding seems to have been built all the way to where it is needed with no translucent ladders showing that more needed built. the way it was built struck me as odd too. they moved onto the higher levels in the back while ignoring the front for some reason.I have tried coaxing them to continue by building ladders to the points the left off on and by toggling construction of the building on and off and even reloading the save but they really do not want to continue.

Where they stopped:

Template: hagia cidna.zip (50.1 KB)

1 Like

CanĀ“t finish Building:

Notes b239a10c-6212-11e6-8f6b-94de80623114
This error Pops up everytime i enter the game, i designed a house and started building it and my workers somehow just stopped and never finished it and now this error is coming

release-610 (x64)
stonehearth/components/scaffolding/scaffolding.lua:127: attempt to call method ā€˜get_blueprint_regionā€™ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'get_blueprint_regionā€™
stonehearth/components/scaffolding/scaffolding.lua:127: in function '_add_region_traceā€™
stonehearth/components/scaffolding/scaffolding.lua:112: in function <stonehearth/components/scaffolding/scaffolding.lua:99>:

Version Number and Mods in use: release-610 (x64) no mods in use.

System Information: