A Song of Ice and Fire

i actually wanted to ask the same qustion, it could be awesome to create your own custom maps there is endless possibilities for what you can do with it.

i think that this will be easier to balance then you think, for exemple King’s landing is in a relative safe bosition to winterfell but its people is disloyal so lets say that there is an high chance for rebellion or a stab in the back, and at winterfell the people are united so there is a less chance for them to run from a battle.
saing that, i dont think that this is the direction that @Froggy is goin for.

1 Like

I was thinking, an option to balance out the geographic downsides the North has would be to have the potential for a Targaryen invasion in the summer, coming from the South.

EDIT: To avoid a double post, I’ll just edit this

I kinda hate to see such a well of creative ideas suddenly go dry because it can’t be immediately realized; we might as well use these 6 months to brainstorm, and then clean them up when we actually see what can and can’t work with the tools at our disposal. Plus, we have some great minds in this community, in regards to Qubicle (@Froggy, @TobiasSabathius @voxel_pirate), coding (@bitassassin and voxel_pirate again), and just plain idea-men (@SteveAdamo, @Geoffers747). We might as well just make one massive, community-created gamemode. Plus, it’ll minimize the sting of having 6 months of waiting for the actual game…

Regarding world generation… if I am remembering right, it was stated that there will be no “world generator” at the beginning (not remembering how the devs called this tool exactly) and that someone could create one by himself. So if a random map creator is possible, I do not see why it should not be possible to create a pre-defined map.

@Paranundrox I agree with you. Probably we will never have enough 6 months time to think about future mods :smile:. I have a list for myself and am constantly working on detailing ideas. For sure, we do not know what feature will be in the game at the end and how it will be implemented. But having the ideas ready for items, NPCs, mechanics is half of the work already.

Yer they said there would be no ‘world editor’ at launch, i would view that as something different to having your own map, but they might be talking about that!

Agree, is something different. More of interest was the second statement that you can mod it in if you like. So if you can mod in a world editor, you can also mod in your own map. That was my way of thinking.

1 Like

I do have a small idea, if this is a mod for SH and not a whole new game by itself ( Which it totally deserves to be! ) maybe the bunny people/lagomorphs should be the children of the forest with bran being their hero, just my little idea that I would like to share! :smiley:

@Paranundrox can I be an idea guy too?

-Newf-

Anyone can be an idea guy, I was just giving a shoutout to our fantastic moderators, who have been throwing out some great ideas for other topics as well. That is by no means an exclusive list of people to work on this; if you have any ideas, Qubicle creations, or modding experience, I’d LOVE to see what you come up with!

Actually, it is an exclusive club, we have a club house and everything.

Granted we’ve stolen the local kids’ treehouse, and @SteveAdamo and I zoom around on the batbike, but it still counts.

We are gentlemen within the clubhouse and are drawing up some renovation plans to include a billiard table.

it won’t matter if he’s in the club or not though, because any idea someone else comes up with, you’ll magically think up too :wink:

And it better stay magically thought up, or I’m gonna know that somebody squealed my secret to the world.

Besides, as chief Invigilator of the Club Treehouse of Wondrous Ideas and Funtimes, I get to call dibs on everything. Now stop completely derailing this thread into a horrible fire mess, and talk about ASOIAF. NOW.

1 Like

wait… thats not how its works?

Geoffers do you work for apple? glares at Geoffers

-Newf-

1 Like

I dunno. I leave you crazy kids alone for two minutes! tsk tsk

4 Likes

See, this is why you HAVE to stay inside… :wink:

but back to GoT, so Geoffers doesn’t murder us…
What were you thinking in terms of balancing playing as the Lannisters in King’s Landing versus the Starks in Winterfell? Surely theres a geographic disadvantage inherent in being closer to danger?

@Paranundrox Here is another of my amazing, fantastic ideas ( @Geoffers747 that are not stolen ). Maybe the Walkers have longships (Don’t know what kind of boats they would sail but longships just seem to fit them to me :smiley:) so they could sail down to Kings Landing and Sunspear?

But … they’re called walkers … :wink2:

I imagine them to be this great unstoppable force destroying everything in their path … Who needs boats when you’re crazy powerful like that!

And maybe, maybe I work for apple … and by maybe. I mean perhaps.

1 Like

Multiplayer will have to be balanced differently to a single player experience. That is true. In single player I was thinking you just choose your location and you defend it or die.

With single player I’m in two minds of how to play the factions. If you are in winterfell defending, then you will lose too much of the building aspects of the game. If you are a small but growing village on the outskirts, you can still involve the building aspects of the game as have the faction heads as heroes in your land. The other option is the PvZ play style.

For multiplayer I was thinking along the lines of -

The north has fallen. The undead have breached the wall and the people of the north hurriedly migrate south to avoid the desolation! dramatic theme music

You are the leader of a small group heading south (say one of four). You realise that you are surrounded, and the only option is to dig in and defend. Imagine the film day after tomorrow, with the band around the equator is liveable, the rest is ice. That way the season mechanic still works, winter comes and goes, but never really leaves.

Edit: Sorry I cant go into too much detail - I’m studying for a network engineering exam, and can only use this as a distraction! Should give you something to think about and bounce ideas off of… or totally disagree! I’m open!

1 Like

GoT represents a huge universe of material to call upon… and the walkers are certainly integral and an obvious choice of enemies… but i just cant seem them as the menacing, horror inducing foe that they are in the series…

i mean, i look at the mutilated zombies that @Tom has masterfully created, and i want to bring them home and let them play with my kids… they look so d@mn cute!

still, would love to see someone’s attempt at creating them, and they would pose an immediate thread to the poor poor Starks… seems they would need some sort of “buff” to counter…

I really like this idea, because it allows for the GoT world and environment to exist, while still elegantly maintaining the feel of Stonehearth and keeping the issues of balance at a minimum.
Also, good luck with your exam!

1 Like

@SteveAdamo if your looking for a buff for the Starks then maybe when ever their hero ( Robb or Jon (unless the Night Watch is a faction in itself) ) has low health or just when fighting their direwolves help fight?

@Froggy can I still order pizza if im defending from Walkers Because what kind of threat does a Crisp Company pose? :wink: