A game of Risk, anyone?

oh me me !
I’m not sure i’m good, but wathever…
I’ll make an account now.

@Geoffers747

Will do @nekochan , just to confirm that everyone is wanting to play, and is aware that the game will likely last for days, maybe even a week or so?

We will each have 24 hours to take a turn, but obviously if we’re all on we can get through some turns quickly!

I’m not sure what happens if a player wishes to leave the game or doesn’t want to play anymore, which is why I want to make sure everybody is willing to play.

Alright nekochan is ready :dragon_face:

I play ‘go’ at ogs, it takes months to finish a game (like Chess by Post used to ^^).
The worst thing is (usually the new) players, who “disappear” after a few days or weeks…

Afaik in risk, you can miss your turns, so the game continues.

1 Like

It does, it just means we’ll all be waiting 24 hours to play :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s no trouble though!

Now we just need someone to set up a 9 player game!

Also we have a selection of maps, World extended or expanded looks pretty cool. Complicated but cool.

Alternatively we can play in the Tamriel map, that looks pretty awesome, I mean who doesn’t love the Elder Scrolls?

Or Westeros, for all those Game of Thrones fans amongst us!

Just choose something that seems normal enough for the map.

Here’s what I read about missing turns:

If a player misses two turns in a row then they are kicked out of the game and all of their territories turn in to grey neutral territories.

Ah, amazing stuff, we should be pretty covered then!

We could start with the standard world map, see how it goes, and then get a bit more adventurous from there?

What do people reckon?

Classic World map?

World Expanded?

Tamriel?

Westeros?

I can start a classic world map game? Expanded is just more countries and I’d say keep it simple for now as tam riel and westeros look more complex and larger.

Definitely, I was just unsure if 9 people on classic world would be a bit cramped? I’ve never played a 9 player game. I’m excited.

Set it up @Xavion :slight_smile: I trust you!

I never played the game so I don’t care. I would vote for the expanded as the classic seems to small for 9 and gives an advantage to players who played the game a lot. But whatever is fine for the first game, to get our feet wet so to speak

I really wouldn’t worry too much, I haven’t played it in years and have only played it with 2 or 3 people.

With 9 people it becomes a lot more tactical as it’s a lot harder to gain footholds etc.

Will be interesting.

@Xavion make sure you set a password so random people don’t join.

http://www.dominating12.com//index.php?cmd=game&sec=play&id=261901
I made it world expanded as apparently classic is 3-6 players. The password is “stonehearth”.

1 Like

The site doesn’t give a lot of info. I can guess why the map is color coded in a certain way but what of this:

Attack Phase
Now you get to use your armies to attack neighboring territories. Battle results are decided by dice rolls. Remember that one of your troops always stays back as the attacker, so if you attack with 3 troops you only get two dice.

Can I attack with more dices than the defender?
What’s important, the number on each dice or the total number?
Can I attack with 20 dices? (seems strange since it’s an RL boardgame initially)

Attackers can use up to 3 dice (as long as they are attacking with 4 or more units) and Defenders will defend with 2 dice (as long as they have 2 or more defending units)

So if you are attacking with 5 units, and the other person is defending with 3 people then attackers will roll 3 dice, defenders will roll 2.

One unit will need to be left behind, so if you are attacking with 3 units, you can only roll 2 dice.

Number on each dice, highest number wins, so if you roll a 5, 3, and 2 and the defender rolls a 4, and a 3. Your 5 beats the 4 so they lose a unit, but your 3 draws with their 3 so they win as they are defending.

At least that’s how I think it works …

No, max of 3 dice for attackers, 2 dice for defenders.

2 Likes

The map is color coded for various continents, controlling all the countries in a continent gives a bonus to the amount of armies you get a turn.

As for battle and dice, you must always leave at least one unit in a country so if you have 3 armies you can attack with 2, if you have 2 armies 1 and if you have 1 none. You can never attack with more than 3 armies at once. You can defend with all your armies in the attacked country to a maximum of 2. The actual process of attacking works like so. With an example of an attack of 3 against 2.

1. Both players roll an amount of dice equal to the number of armies they’re using.
    Attacker: 3 2 5
    Defender: 3 4
  2. Both players order the dice from highest to lowest.
    Att: 5 3 2
    Def: 4 3
  3. Discard dice if you have more than your opponent to the amount they have, you rolled extra to increase chance of high numbers.
    Att: 5 3
    Def: 4 3
  4. Compare the corresponding numbers (highest to highest, 2nd to 2nd). Higher number wins, defender wins ties.
    Att: 1 win (5v4), 1 loss (3v3)
    Def: 1 win (3v3), 1 loss (5v4)
  5. Lose armies equal to the amount of dice you lost.
    Both lose one army.

You get unlimited attacks per turn, if you manage to kill all the armies in a country then you take it over and get to move as many armies as you want from the one you attacked it with into it, you have to move the 1-3 surviving armies you attacked with as a minimum. Minimum of one army per country though at all times.

I hope that all makes sense.

Edit:
Clarified the minimum move on win requirement. Also @Geoffers747 your mod insta delete powers threw me off with your disappearing post.

3 Likes

Wait … what? What happened??

Alright, I get it :smile_cat:

So (if my math instinct isn’t too rusty) attacking is more advantageous than defending. That’s good, totally my (non existent) risk playstyle :smirk_cat:

I don’t know the exact maths behind it, but defenders have the bonus that any dice that are tied go in their favour, so it’s not completely in the attacking favour.

Only if we have 2vs2 dices or 1vs1 dices.
If I’m correct and I believe I am, the extra dice gives a small bonus to the attacker (nothing big, sth below 5-10% more win).
But that seems enough to me, basically if I have a 50soldiers army and my neighbour has a 50soldiers army, the first to attack will have the theoretical advantage (as long as he always attacks with 1 more dice than the defender).

Yer, the beauty with Risk is that you just never know.

Sometimes you will have a valiant 2 or 3 units and the die roll in your favour against an attacking army three or four times your size.

When that happens you can’t help but feel like a champion.

2 Likes

Yea, that’s stats and probability for you. The bonus the attacker has is only relevant in the long run anyway (like with 50+ armies).

It’s like holdem poker, you may have A&A but you’ll lose out half the time against sth stupid like 2&4 (that’s me^^)

1 Like