A few things about Rayya's Children

I for one am a huge fan of the Rayya’s Children, as I just super love the whole aesthetic of the buildings and the land. My grandmother grew up in New Mexico, so I’ve been surrounded by this sort of stuff my whole life, I just love it. Tangent aside though, I have one or two gripes about the whole thing. Nothing major, just, y’know, little small things.

The first is mainly just a ui issue I think, I can’t find another way to word it. The issue I have is with the clay chairs, in that, unless I’m just missing something here, it is impossible to tell which side of the chair is the front. I have two ideas that might fix this, one probably being easier than the other, but I wouldn’t know, I know nothing about coding. The first and likely most simple idea would be to add an arrow when placing the chair that shows which side is the front. The second idea would be to let the Hearthling sit on the chair in any direction, but always face the table when available, if that is even possible. I don’t really know, I’m just throwing ideas out there.

My second suggestion is to add farm-able chili peppers to the Rayya’s Children. My grandmothers house is absolutely filled with the things, real and artificial. Plus, they are just super good in food. Since the Rayya’s Children only have four farm-able things right now as it compared to the nine(?) the Ascendancy(spelling???) have, which does make sense in all honesty geographically, peppers grow very well in desert climates, so that might be an idea I guess?

My last suggestion is purely aesthetic really, and that would be adding turquoise to the game, maybe that the mason could make art and decorations out of. New Mexico is pretty famous for its turquoise mines, so that would be pretty cool. I know that I’m sort of picking too much of a small area of influence for the kingdom, I just really love the aesthetic it brings, y’know what I mean?

9 Likes

I actually like all of these ideas.

Regarding the chair: I think it may just be easier to add a small back, like a lip on the back. That would let everyone know which way is front without changing the aesthetic significantly, right?

Chili Peppers is a +1 idea, as a huge fan of the things. Other desert-y things that may be of future interest: Incense, Cotton, Cinnamon.

Turqoise is another +1, but I think it may be better implemented as a series of Potter/Smith items instead of an actual crafting material (just so you don’t have more random rocks sitting around in storage :sweat: ). I think if Glass ever becomes a crafting material, maybe Rayya’s Children could craft things like Turqoise Vase using Unfinished Clay Pot + Glass + certain plants or ores.

5 Likes

[quote=“Sickjin, post:2, topic:18738”]
Regarding the chair: I think it may just be easier to add a small back, like a lip on the back. That would let everyone know which way is front without changing the aesthetic significantly, right?
[/quote]or even just add a simple pattern so that you can tell which way is forward…

3 Likes

I’ll be honest, Id kind of appreciate some more directional cues in the ui maybe on a lot of items, symmetrical or no. Even with the regular beds, I have a lot of trouble picking out the differences sometimes :sweat:

3 Likes

I’ll be honest, Id kind of appreciate some more directional cues in the ui maybe on a lot of items, symmetrical or no. Even with the regular beds, I have a lot of trouble picking out the differences sometimes :sweat:

Ditto, I have to zoom in pretty far to see which way chests are facing as well. Some more obvious indication of which way items are facing would be really nice!

@sheepasaurusrex I have yet to really play Rayya’s Children but I like your suggestions. More desert-like food items would be pretty awesome for both versatility in cooking and the unique theme of RC. The decor suggestion is also a great idea as far as supporting the theme and providing visual interest. That would be a really neat thing to see incorporated in the game.

3 Likes

Oh, I thought of another thing possibly, for the weaver. There are some really cool woven fabrics that you can look at that come from New Mexico, but there are also these woven baskets and bowls and things as well. I want to say that this might be more Native American in origin, but I’m not really certain. Grass weaving could be an interesting addition for decorative items I think. I’m fairly certain that the fabric weaving patterns I am thinking of are Native American in origin as well. They have these really interesting patterns, with lots of triangles and blocks of color. I can’t really describe things too well and I’m hesitant to post a link to a google search, so if you look up new mexican weaving you will see what I mean. I think that that might be an interesting path to go down for the Rayya’s Children weaver

3 Likes

A lot of good thoughts here. I remember having huge issues when my hearthlings sat on the ground around the campfire ignoring the seating when I’d placed stone benches on all four sides of the thing. It was very annoying. Having them sit facing away from the table would be just as bad.

On a different note . . . Sure I would love more decorative items but I’d also like for them to do something. Perhaps something as simple as having my hearthlings comment on the pleasant scenery in the Journal would be a nice start.

Ideally I’d like to see them eventually complain about hard beds out in the open, shared bedrooms after a decent period of time, poor lighting, lack of heat, etc . . . Early on it’s great if they don’t care about things being a camp, or rustic, or whatever but give me some reason to build and decorate please! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’m commenting here and following this post for mystery reasons. Keep the ideas flowing. XD

I did a thing.

3 Likes