[A 24.10.6] Very clear example of building-won't-complete bug

Didn’t explain this well in the earlier instance, but everything lined up well to show visually this time. I have a building that is stuck on its last placed item. As you can see below:

• The builder thinks it’s missing a red lattice window.
  • The stockpile clearly has two of them.
  • No other tasks are active. Hearthlings are standing around idle.
  • The ghost-placeholder of the window is present, but there is a translucent red block marker of some kind.
  • I don’t see anything that would prevent a hearthling from reaching this spot (and they placed the other two just fine). If nothing else, they could place it from the outside.
  • The ladders and scaffolding and whatnot don’t seem to be covering the window, but I’m not sure how I could delete them manually.
  • Cancelling the placement task briefly makes the red cube go away. The ghost placeholder comes back without it - but 20ish seconds later, the red cube is back as well.
  • No combination of pausing or restarting construction, cancelling the place task, making more windows manually because why not, etc. and so forth, have any effect.

Net result: building is eternally waiting on a red lattice window it thinks it does not have, when two are available in storage.

Save attached: 1528245543385.7z (3.0 MB)

make any stockpile to keep it.
also check if those items are yours and not half stolen by any goblin.
it that doesn’t work then good luck :stuck_out_tongue: hahaha
edis: remove the stockpile idea

Both windows are in my stockpile, and one of them is selected, as shown in the first screenshot. With big red boxes around them. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

mmm don’t know if it will work but try to reset or teleport them…
or make 100 more…
if that also doesn’t work then i would add some by debugtools to check if the issue has to do with those specific windows or if its the builder

and as i said before, Good Luck :wink:
edit 4312314213: ohh you can try to add a ladder to that spot both inside the building and outside of it, maybe they forgot to add the ladder for that…

If you put a ladder in front of that red block they will build it, have had that exact thing happen.

Thanks all for the workarounds - placing a ladder manually does indeed allow completion, however my goal is to let the team know since on release most players don’t visit forums and am hoping this helps them track down the root cause to fix it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

WTF? never saw that red block… :sweat:
@spacefiddle why then not calling them now that we know the problem and how to fix it?.. hmmm, we might end bothering too much :thinking:

I did make a report that had to do with this very thing. It seems often when they build a ladder the scaffold does not come out far enough away from the ladder for the 'Lings to path on to reach blocks.

This should be fixed for future buildings in the next release, but it won’t retroactively fix in-progress buildings in existing saves.

3 Likes

Glad to hear it. Thanks!