[2650] ATi Radeon 4800

I assume this is related to my ancient graphics card the Radeon 4850 (6 or 7 years old) because I suddenly realized, after watching other gameplay, that this:

doesn’t happen to others. Instead of getting a white outline, I get the entire object overshadowed by the white. Most of the time I just watch the streams and assume it’s some new game improvement that hasn’t been pushed yet, then it hit me that I’ve been having this problem since the high graphics got implemented and it’s probably just my card. I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I can’t play in high graphics since I get terrain cutoff and floating objects, thus I get this:

but the low graphics settings are off as well.

I can’t say I’d ask you to fix it. It’s an ancient card and probably shouldn’t be supported. It’s considered feature complete and they haven’t updated the drivers since 2013 and they’ve stated they won’t update it further. The card doesn’t even support DX11. But it should be a known issue. A new computer’s probably around the corner for me since this one’s pushing 8 years now. Just figured you should know.

2 Likes

Hmm. I think it is probably of some interest since the minimum requirements listed on the Steam page (for Radeon cards) is a Radeon HD 3450 512MB. That card doesn’t support DX11 either (only DX10.1) and should be a generation older than your card. Maybe @Albert will be interested in this.

5 Likes

let’s add @not_owen_wilson to the party as well… :smile: :+1:

4 Likes

You’ll get this when playing with low quality graphics. For example, my low-end laptop has the “Enable High Quality Graphics” unchecked and disabled by default, and I get that white shadow when hovering or selecting items. On the first alphas, I got the outline, but then this option was introduced and I’m not able to check it, so I’m stuck with that kind of selection.

But it’s better this way, if I’m not allowed it’s probably because my computer wouldn’t be able to handle it. I have integrated graphics and the computer is around 6 years old, too.

Anyway thanks for reporting. I’m also starting to doubt about the minimum requirements, given the latest builds… :sweat:

blush I just realized while reading this thread that I didn’t even know high quality graphics were available in the settings. I keep all my graphics options turned down as low as they will go for performance lol.

JUST turned high quality graphics on and turned on shadow detail because i had it set to zero and light number set to zero…sigh, I really should spend some tie learning more about this games inner workings :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: ok, I see why it was turned off. Instant frame rate drop to 5fps and the graphics are lower quality on high quality :P…it’s pretty much just the outlining that is better. Having to switch it back before it eats my Nvidia GT650M card :\

High quality graphics, high shadow detail, 5fps max

Low quality graphics, shadow detail off. Almost no difference but slightly less pixelation on my computer on low quality (ironic?) and a steady frame rate locked at 40. Only real difference beyond frame rate is the low quality doesn’t have a good outline feature.

As I said, I figure it’s really that my card’s at the end of its life. The white highlighting just makes it very difficult to build cool things and tell what color I have selected.

3 Likes

@Averest - The 4850 is still a respectable card. Did you try updating the drivers from this site?:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

or do you have to use custom drivers from a specific vendor?

2 Likes

I’ve had my drivers updated since they stopped supporting it 2 years ago. It’s over there in the right column.

After five years of active service, the ATI Radeon™ HD 4000, ATI Radeon™
HD 3000, and ATI Radeon™ HD 2000 Series products reached peak
performance optimization on October 15, 2013, and were transitioned to a
legacy support lifecycle. No additional driver releases are planned for these
products. It is important that PC gamers migrate to a modern AMD Radeon™
graphics card. Customers migrating to a modern GPU can benefit from
exciting new features, improved performance, lower power consumption
and broad compatibility with the latest PC games.

I’d be happy to throw up any sort of logging file if Stonehearth does that sort of thing or would you prefer a dxdiag log?

1 Like

Wow. I missed that. @not_owen_wilson might take a look, but to be honest, we’re not currently spending much time on rendering right now with so many other things that need to be done.

As I said. Probably not worth your time. :wink:

1 Like