What are you looking forward to in Stonehearth?

for me its three short phases that give me the most joy. I haven’t seen any of the world gens work yet (as it probs doesnt exist yet,) but in minecraft i love seeing a unique bit of land and going, “i could do this and that and maybe a pool over there…” this part is mostly potential and what ifs

latter half way through you can see it all coming together, solving problems you didnt see at first and coming up with something to fix it. this is the nitty gritty hands on submersed in your work.

and lastly reflection on everything u have done. looking at this wondrous creation that you have made from a section of dirt. Now in stonehearth i have a feeling the people will be as much of a part of that as the city will be.

So, what are you most excited about Stonehearth? :smile:

The game…

[This response was originally in a topic titled “What are you most excited about Stonehearth”, so my reply doesn’t QUITE fit here, but it’s close enough]

First, I’m most excited to play a sandbox strategy game in general. It’s a game that I can just pick up and play for a while, make progress, and then close out when I’m done or have to go somewhere else. But unlike most games in that category which are just grindfests, in a strategy game, I actually have to think about what’s next, and I love thinking. Radiant really seems to know what they’re doing, too, and they’re implicitly promising a strong sense of progression - compare to Minecraft, for example, where there’s really no practical point in building a huge castle when a small shack and a workshop will do just fine.

Second, I’m excited about the “modules” component - the scripted, sometimes adventure-oriented quests that occur randomly in an otherwise procedural world. I’ve never seen that done before in a game, and I think it can do a lot to mitigate the usual monotony of procedural sandbox games.

And of course, there’s the absolutely adorable art style, the co-op multiplayer, and the promise of even more content after release.

1 Like

Modability and the freedom to create what I want.

2 Likes

Creating my massive city and defending it!

1 Like

correct - i figured this thread was close enough for a merge… :wink:

The favorite phase for me in these types of games is always the first few hours.

Scouting out your starting location by trying to ensure you have all the resources you’ll need nearby, getting to work with your first few settlers on the starting infrastructure, etc.

I am most excited for the mysteries and surprises. I hate a game in wich I know everything that will happen, that’s why these kinds of games are fun. You don’t know when you will be attacked, by who, and where.

1 Like

i’m excited for making my village i don’t want to make a city because then its going to get attack more often besides i like making villages more i cant wait till beta (:

there could be any number of triggers for an enemy attack… general “wealth”, proximity to some specific resources, having attacked some poor goblin merchant, etc.

Honestly, it may not apply to Stonehearth but playing Civ 3, I always loved mid-game. Things are set up and you can start to actually do things. End-game’s kinda sad coz you know it’s coming to an end and even if gameplay allows it to continue infinitely (anybody know if it does or not?) I get the urge to start afresh.

For me it’s the early-to-mid stages of a game that are always the most compelling. It’s the initial establishment of something that I find to be of the most interest.

-Will

There is no way to win the game, but you can lose, be it a plague or an invasion it will happen, and then it’s game over. So yes it goes infinitely until you lose, (You know your about to lose when they get over your walls).

1 Like

Your city might fall at the sight of some puny goblins scaling your walls, but my city (name pending, ask @Xavion I’m really good with names) … my city laughs in the faces of these foul beast and will slay them back from whence they came. * makes swooshy noises whilst swinging a stick around *

No I was talking of his settlers. And I don’t mean scaling the walls, I mean your walls are a pile of burnt rubble and bones that surrounds the slowly melting order of those rookie troops you just commissioned to replace the veterans that are now pin cushions scattered around your use-to-be front gates… sorry got a little carried away there.

Oh and who said anything about goblins :smiling_imp:.

Oh it’s on. It’s on like Donkey Kong.

I’m gonna build a really bad building, screenshot it, and pretend it’s yours.

1 Like

Yours will just be a hole.

But that hole will look fabulous right?