Video Games That Have Disappointed You

Euro Truck Simulator 2 is actually really, really decent and fun. No, seriously. It doesn’t sound like fun, but if you watch a few videos, you’ll get that tingle that it could be fun. And once you try it (the demo’s free on Steam!) you’ll see why.

Also, that in multiplayer is hilarious, if only the community wasn’t composed of a bunch of stuck up realist idiots.

As for every other simulator, I don’t think there’s much hype going on. The only hype I feel for a simulator would be the 3000€ mark on Train Simulator 20xx, as in “when is it reached”. Of course, give me any decent train simulator (with appropriate maps and rollmaterial I can identify with) and I’ll be hyped like nothing.

And then probably disappointed. Lots of crying will ensue.

1 Like

Well I did said it’s subjective. Case in point here :wink:

And I won’t try to persuade you here, opinion arguments on the internet usually go nowhere and it would be way off-topic.

1 Like

So, um, yeah.

Wasn’t this thread about talking about Games that didn’t live up to the hype instead of talking about what’s the definition of a Game?

1 Like

When did I ever say that it failed to live up to the Hype? No really, when did I ever say that?

I was trying to say that Stonehearth needs some time to grow. I clearly said that.

Can I say that the stonehearth alpha didn’t live up to its hype (initial release)

1 Like

You could say Stonehearth hasn’t lived up to the hype yet, but when it finally does reach the final release, it will be a glorious game that will surely live up to the hype.

Here we have a nice example of a hype. Involving a hype. A meta-hype?

3 Likes

I know. That game was amazing. Loved blowing up squeelers and gangfights with police was cool. Did not liked that quests system of gangsters 2.

1 Like

I never said you did. My response was to both your comment in regards to the other games, and @tkh saying that Stonehearth hadn’t lived up to the hype.

I’m a little lost because of the last bunch of posts, and I’m sorry for starting/causing the game definition discussion. But in any way, @Geoffers747 has a very appropriate title for this discussion! :blush:

It can sound like a hype is a bad thing when I look at all the answer in this thread, but it doesn’t have to be as we all know. A hyped game that lives up to the expectations makes it worth all those who doesn’t :wink:

Hotline Miami 2 feels like it’s kind of hyped. At least I am hyping it myself! I really hope it will live up to it! Time will tell…

1 Like

Not about a particular game, but…

Considering all the recent reveals with E3, I’m fairly certain the word “hyped” can describe most of us now in some way or another. Here’s hoping that whatever games you may be interested in, be it on X-Box, Playstation, Nintendo, or computer, live up to your expectations.

On a related note, I feel a certain impending doom about the financial status of my wallet by the end of this year…

3 Likes

but it’s PART TWO!! and there’s an editor, and … it’s more Hotline Miami!!! :smile:

this hype was brought to you in part by the local Ad Council

3 Likes

You know, I’m going to edit the Post and Title because I would like to have the Thread not just be about games that we thought were overhyped, but also about games that just disappointed us, regardless of hype.

2 Likes

A few well timed updates and some DLC’s got it out- by a hair, might I mention- out of the gaming Pit of Doom.

…lived up to the hype…yet! :smiley:

1 Like

Good call.

Ha, totally, I genuinely find it interesting though how this essentially stems from one word ‘beta’, if from the outset it had been labelled ‘alpha’ or ‘early build access’ or something akin to that then I don’t think anyone would be saying anything :stuck_out_tongue:

It definitely feels like Alpha 4 will be taking massive steps forward.

As for games that have disappointed me:

Brink - it was heralded as this revolutionary FPS, and the ‘parkour’ element was fun but the entire game was just so disappointing. Really didn’t live up to its promise.

Assassin’s Creed III - The entire Assassin’s Creed franchise has become rather stale in my eyes, but coming out of the Ezio games into this was a major disappointment, mainly due to the abysmal main character, and suddenly instead of traversing large cities I’m running across fields and jumping across trees.

Deadlight - The game had promise, and by and large it was alright but the entire game just felt rather average. The narrative was odd, and yer … just didn’t get on with this one.

Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom - The Kingdom Under Fire series was this really cool RTS/RPG type hybrid and the first two on the original Xbox were really good games, Circle of Doom however … I don’t like to talk about Circle of Doom.

Naughty Bear - Sighs Why did I even play this?

Plus a few others that have already been mentioned: Omerta, Dragon Age 2 (though Dragon Age Inquisition looks amazing @DaniAngione it certainly looks like they’ve gone back to DA:O), Dead Island Riptide.

From Wikipedia:

“Naughty Bear is a third-person shooter action video game for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 consoles. Players control the eponymous bear as they use various things to earn Naughty Points, with extra points being given for random missions.”

“The game is set on a paradisal island where teddy bears live in harmony. The main character, Naughty Bear, is a shabby teddy bear who has a tendency to be mischievous, which earns him the dislike of the other bears. Like the other teddy bears, he does not speak but instead conveys his emotions through a variety of sounds and facial expressions. His actions are influenced by an unseen narrator with a demeanor reminiscent of that of a young children’s television show host.”

Wat. I-I don’t even…

Sounds like a game you would play, Geoffers.

5 Likes

Whelp, now I’ve seen a teaser for Dead Island 2. Because Riptide was Dead Island 1.34.

Still cant shake the feeling of hype building up…

I saw the trailers for the new LoZ games. So we’re getting a Zelda game that is open world where you can fight giant monsters and another where you get several different characters and fight against armies of mooks? Well hopefully they pan out, although the first one inherently makes my brain twitch towards skyrim thoughts.

Although Skyrim level of content and openworldness in a Zelda game may be one of the best games ever made.

1 Like

Yeah, I can agree with you there.

But still, I think that no matter how many good games come out for the Wii U, the Wii U will come in last in the console war. It’s going through what I call “The Gamecube Syndrome” in where no matter how many good games and work goes into the project, it has a pretty huge chance of flopping, much like the fate of the GCN.

Call me biased, but this is just my opinion.