UI Lockup - Camera still functional

Summary:
My town is fairly self-sufficient at this point and can run without user input for quite a while without issue. All Hearthlings prioritize, path-find, and perform their normal duties. The minute I begin interacting the game, specifically I have a hunch things become problematic when opening menus that display items (placement, vendor buying/selling), the game’s UI becomes completely unresponsive within a few minutes. I can’t click any buttons, and it even gets to the point where I’m unable to press Escape to open the menu, save or quit. I’m forced to ALT+F4 to close the game.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Load my save file https://nofile.io/f/V2ZPKso5Axf/UI+Lockup.7z (Unable to upload files as I’m a new user)
  2. Don’t interact with the game at all and see how well things work without interaction (Camera interaction is okay, and remains functional even when the UI locks up)
  3. Start doing “things” - issue commands, open menus, place items, buy/sell things from vendors

Expected Results:
The game continues to run and menus function correctly

Actual Results:
Within several minutes the game’s UI will slow down and eventually lock up completely. The rest of the game will continue running without issue (camera navigation, Hearthling duties/movement, etc…), but you’ll be unable to click on or interact with anything.

Notes:
Item count is below 5000

Attachments:
https://nofile.io/f/V2ZPKso5Axf/UI+Lockup.7z

Version Number and Mods in use:
Version: Beta R864

Mods:
Vasedro - Basic Template Pack (No buildings used in this save)
Lorkis Biome (Chosen map for this game)
Autoharvest Mod (Not currently turned on for any items in the save)
Miner Profession (Currently assigned Hearthling)
Canyon Biome (Not used in this game)
Archipelago Biome (Not used in this game)
Box Command Tool (Used a few times during the first few days of this game, but haven’t utilized it in ages)

System Information:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
RAM: 64GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (Driver v23.21.13.9135)

I attempted to reembark from this town: I chose my 3 people, 10 items, then pressed “Depart” - my people disappeared from town (though my Hearthling count remained), and nothing happened.

My alert for reembarkation is gone, and nothing has changed.

I haven’t actually done reembarkation before, but my understanding is that this is how it is supposed to work. Then when you start a new game, you’ll have the option of starting with that selection of hearthlings and items (and accumulated banner bonuses).

Does pressing F5 to reload the UI make a difference in responsiveness after it gets sluggish?

Pressing F5 will fix this long enough for you to save. You might have to press a few times or hold it down :).

Paul is right about re-embarkation, and both he and Jade are right about F5 reloading the UI which will reset UI performance. That said, we are currently investigating UI performance including this very bug, so thanks for the report and save. That should help us narrow it down.

1 Like

First time I’ve been able to play since I posted and you’re all correct! F5 does definitely help (unfortunately only for about 5-ish minutes though before I have to reload it again). And Reembarkation also works when loading a new save. Thank you all for the help, and best of luck fixing the bug!

1 Like

Just as a note I am still getting these lockups after 20 hearthlings, usually closer to 30 but 20 when on speed 3 after a few minutes of gameplay regardless of builds or items. I am on Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit sp1 and my PC is 16GB ram and an i7.

This should be fixed in the next release. @Jade_Elizabeth, thanks for posting the video reproducing this bug on Steam a while ago. It was the key to finding the cause of this issue.

1 Like

Oh that’s awesome!! I was really hoping it would help but not sure how! :smiley: