Toilets, Outhouses, Holes in the Ground, Anything?

@SteveAdamo @Smokestacks: Like I said, it could be kept as an idle animation. It wouldn’t be a need that gets higher and higher priority until they have to go. It should never interrupt their work. The game just checks if a villager has access to either nature or a toilet. If they do then there is a chance that they use it if they don’t have anything better to do. If they don’t have access to it then there is a higher risk that they will get sick, which will make them work slower / sleep more / stay in bed / need medicine to get better / possibly die.

It could be treated as a part of the sleep period, so instead of some of the time spent in bed they go to the toilet, but it still counts as sleep so they don’t need to stay away from work longer just because they do both. By connecting it to the bed time it could also make it easier to check if they have access or not. Instead of constantly checking if a villager have access to either nature or a toilet you just check if the bed that he use is close enough to one of them. And the toilet wouldn’t have to be in the same house as the bed. A toilet could have a radius of effect of maybe 50 meters.

2 Likes

constipation- Slows down work speed and other basic procedures.

2 Likes

I have mentioned this in another idea thread, so I will hazard sounding like a broken record to say that while I think this is good mod material and, by the support you have already gotten, would have a bit of a following. However, this might be a bit much for vanilla, considering we will already have to deal with health, hunger, and sleep. While they might not seem like much, just those three can be a bit of a hassle to deal with. But perhaps this is coming from my trouble with the Sims. :smile:

The issue I see with this idea, even as an idle animation, is that it doesn’t fit with the very clean aesthetic of Stonehearth. Combat is bloodless, new workers are purchased, not born (last I heard, at least), and in general it seems like these guys don’t have normal bodily functions beyond sleeping and eating. Where would toilet humor fit in a game like that?

1 Like

Hmmmm…a point most valid indeed.

Sit back I shall, and wait for others to respond.

as in, the idea doesnt fit with the target audience?

i think a silly idle animation like walking to an outhouse (my preferred waste disposal unit of choice), would be perfectly within reason… flying a kite, playing with a kitten, walking into a small rectangular building… all very wholesome… :wink:

i dont think im in favor of this idea affecting a unit adversely in some way though…

And because you all care terribly for my opinion I’ll wade in …

I’m not keen on the overall idea - it should definitely not negatively impact your settlers if such a system is not maintained.

I don’t mind the idea of perhaps waste management/ sewerage, so that your city has to be maintained in that way to prevent disease - I think that aspect would fit nicely with a game ending plague - but as @MrKrazy said, from what we’ve seen so far the images are relatively clean, so how would you portray the dirt and mess effectively?

Also do you feel that this is stepping into more of a Sim City style management perhaps? Or adding a layer of city management that is perhaps just a bit unneeded? Especially if this sort of thing costs a certain amount of resources and is needed?

An idle animation I can perhaps get behind a bit more - but in relation to those other idle animations you mentioned, my understanding is that you wouldn’t have to build/create those? Your villager might just pull out a kite - what would actually be awesome is if there were a load of idle animations that culminated in the creation and flying of the kite.

Ultimately from what we’ve heard, idle animations won’t be intrusive, that is, you won’t need to have dedicated items/ buildings for animations to occur. Or at the very least, idle animations might occur if you do have a building, but that building has a purpose for the settlement as a whole, rather than just being an outhouse you’ve used resources to construct.

so, you would have had to have the requisite resources (string, fabric, etc.) and it would be available., or you would want to see a unit “build” the kite, etc.

either way, i think that would be fun as well… a progressive idle animation, if you will… :smile:

true… what if we took a very simple approach, and simply had an idle animation of the…

ahem

the… well, the “pee-pee dance”? you know what i’m talking about… :smile:

so, you have your idle unit, and he runs through the gamut of available actions… one of which could be “dance around nervously for a few seconds”… it would certainly be a noticeable and humorous thing to see, with one of your units hopping from one foot to the other…

no other actions or requirements… just a simple dance idle…

Maybe yes, maybe no, it could just be one of those things you see a settler idling in or around the carpenters workshop, then near the weaver etc. Progressive idle animations! That would be great.

Of all your suggestions, this is by far the worst

Haha, I could go with that over having to have toilets, but I just prefer to think that my little settlers don’t ever need the toilet ever. :angel:

1 Like

I am in favor of it being something usefull. I rather have my villagers do usefull stuff then idle animations. I actually dont see the need for idle animations other then eye candy. So I rather have my villagers have more things to do then they can handle. Makes planning that more important and therefor decisionmaking and strategy improves imo.