The Modding Requests: Discussion Thread

My request: Easy access to visual effects. Modder-usable z-fighting fix (preferably allowing multiple layers), glows, and transparencies.

Right now I’m making horses. I have a set of markings made to apply to them. Now, I could go and for every color of horse (black, brown, gray…) make a set of twenty different marked heads, which is a little time consuming, very inelegant, and unnecessarily resource-intensive, but easy enough. OR I could make one head for each color, and add on a markings mesh to function like a decal. For this to work I’d need to have access to that z-fighting fix that was mentioned in one of the developer blogs, so that I could make the markings always cover the face underneath. (Note: The same kind of thing could be used to add tattoos, face paints, five-o-clock shadows, blushes, makeup, complexions, and other lovely details to settlers.)

It would be even better if I could have multi-layer z-priorities. Some horses have more than one set of markings mixed together - a stripe along their back, for instance, together with white spots. Being able to layer these in a particular order (first base coat, then dorsal stripe, then white patches) would be great; it would allow me to achieve many unique combinations with relatively few inputs.

Next on my list, transparencies and glows. I know glows are already in the game (the particles of the fire mesh are glowy, for instance) and I’d be willing to bet transparencies are on their way (we’re told water is coming). I’d love to be able to use these in models. I’ve got an idea for jellyfish critters that really won’t look right until they can have bioluminescent markings and translucent bells.