Stonehearth Resource Requirements :(

Hi
I successfully installed the latest version of Stonehearth last night 30 August 2018, and was glad to see that it is now listed as Version 1 !!

I enjoy playing this game a lot however after around 2 hours of gameplay the game comes to almost a grinding halt with huge waiting periods between frames …

It seems one needs a very powerful processor (GPU) to play this one.

I have

Intel Core i7 - 7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz
8 GB Ram
Intel HD 620 integrated graphics :frowning:

One thing that might be causing your problems is enemies trying to path towards your hearthlings. If you don’t clean them up they make the game churn pretty hard. If you can’t get to them without loads of pain you can always use the debugtools to shift click > menu> destroy them.

First off a processor is a cpu (Central Processing Unit).
A gpu is for graphics :stuck_out_tongue:

But yes, stonehearth is a processor hog, specifically how fast one or two cores can go, as opposed to a bunch of cores. Beyond that it loves to eat your ram about as much as Firefox does for someone browsing multiple tabs :stuck_out_tongue:

From the integrated graphics I’m guessing you play on a laptop?

1 Like

Yup, i know about the Cpu vs Gpu i just talked about them together.
mmm I wonder if what Everest say could have been the cause since i got a lot of messages about enemies approaching but about 3 times they never reached me - i think they were spawned on a cliff somewhere and i could not even see them since i do not have any hearthlings up there …

Yeah enemies that spawn take up a bunch of power if they can’t reach you but still try, killing enemies is definitely usefull to improve game speed

1 Like

@Ian_Coetzer, please, if you have a savefile that’s lagging could you upload it so that devs can take a look?
We’re searching for those cases that seem related to enemies not being able to reach your town, because combat is one of the areas that haven’t had performance improvements yet. Any savefile that has lag is useful.

1. Find the save folder for the saves you wish to upload. By default, they are located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stonehearth\saved_games (assuming a default Steam install).
  2. Zip the folder.
  3. Right click the folder (should be a long set of numbers).
  4. Left click on Send to in the menu that appears.
  5. Left click on `Compressed (Zipped) folder).
  6. (Optional) Rename the folder to something different than the default set of numbers.
  7. Upload the save.
  8. If the zip is less than 10 MB, you can upload it directly. Either use the upload button or drag and drop it into the compose window,
  9. If larger than 10 MB, upload it to a cloud storage site like Dropbox, Google Drive, File Dropper, etc. and post the sharing link here.

Here’s one at the start where I’m at speed 2 and already the Entlings are causing lag.

Right before first battle. 1535461880168.zip (5.6 MB)

During first battle: 1535666050355.zip (4.4 MB)

1 Like

Thanks, Averest. The first savefile doesn’t seem the same town than the second one, and it’s in peaceful mode.

I couldn’t repro lag with the second savefile but I will try to reproduce that scenario. It is possible that the moat you were mining was causing them to stall.

Did you notice the lag before the entlings appeared, while they were running to the town, or during the combat/when the combat started?

Had to drop off the kid to college so I’m sorry it took so long for me to get back to you on this.

Sorry about grabbing the wrong save. Thought I’d grabbed the right ones.

I was digging the moat without lag and the lag seemed to start up once the Hearthlings noticed the entlings or the entlings noticed the Hearthlings, which I figure are two different things. They were definitely in range of one another.

I’ve had other scenarios where I’ve had moats and the lag begins when the enemies start circling around it during late game. No idea which of my saves would show this best as they’re kindof old.

@Averest let us know if you still notice lag with the enemies next time you play the game. Yesterday’s patch should have helped with that.

You too, @Ian_Coetzer, @Wouter_Sikkema.

1 Like

So far so good and I’m running a heavily modded game on a heavily shelved terrain with enemies unable to path. I haven’t dug any moats, however. I’ve had skellies and pebbles so far.

1 Like