Stonehearth Mod List

Not really. There has been some interest in maintaining the list. The biggest problem is that we know TR will eventually have some sort of mod manager in-game, and it’s quite a chore to maintain the list.

For a short term solution, if you post on the threads for the individual mods, the author (or community) can usually tell you if it’s working or not.

i can help you about textures and graphics.

Seeing as this is pinned and stuff, will this be updated?

If @Alfie wakes up from slumber…
We should really have a consensus about naming the mod’s threads with a prefix and the compatible versions…

Usually those that start by [Mod] contain a downloadable mod or a wip mod.
http://discourse.stonehearth.net/search?q=[Mod]%20%20category%3A2

There are other mod list threads out there. Eventually we’ll have something to manage this. There’s the fan made mod manager Praise but it doesn’t have all the mods available. There was also an effect editor that allowed you to decide which mods to load from the ones you had installed.

For the moment there’s no official, auto-updated list of mods, since people can upload them wherever they like (here, Steam, external fan websites, etc). It takes time to keep your mods up-to-date. Especially when on a new Alpha they change entirely some feature that affects your mod.

2 Likes

like [MOD-491]? and wip doenst help because until stonehearth is finished every mod needs still work :wink:

2 Likes

I’d usually consider the [WIP] tag to mean it is not ready to be used, or not even available yet. But that’s just how I see it, no real definition for it.

I made a suggestion of a version tag like [A13] or [A13-A14] to be added after [MOD] to show the compatible version a couple days ago. I’m still finding mods that I didn’t know still worked/existed due to the lack of something like that to find them.

Hopefully Praise is used by more modders soon as it really is the best option at the moment despite so few mods being available through it at the moment.

4 Likes

and it looks like soon version2 of the app will be released :wink:

2 Likes

Some good news app v2 is coming along nicely, I have noticed a problem though, the file naming, something that Wiese and Kurohito discussed early on with praise.

This was a problem as I was automatically renaming the files but this messed with the details in the manifest so we decided to stick with whatever name was uploaded, however this has a problem now as when it uploads it overwrites anything with the same name, if we can decide upon a name convention, like 489-modname.smod this would help so it is more unique for each version.

The praisev2 app as it is currently (in my quarter finished state) does have functioning update detection as it has date detection among other checks but if the file name was unique to each mod this (in my limited but tried and tested) knowledge and experience would fix most problems for the future IMHO.

2 Likes

I think having an updated mod list would be a very good idea but the only problem is that only one person can edit it and as we can see here the OP is not around.

If there was some way multiple people could have access to editing a post. It could be sorted a lot faster and more accurately. Maintaining a mod list is quite a stressful task even in the early days.

We need tags, but there is also another problem with tags.

[WIP] - Mods which are not available for download and the OP is just showing a preview.
[Mods] - Mods which are available for download.

EndPieces survived through a lot of alphas. I stopped playing sometime last year and then came back around Christmas time. Somethings had broke but the features were all there in a playable state. So if we left the tagging to the mod author and the mod Arthor leaves, then what?

We would need two sub forums for the Modding forum itself.

• [r123] Mods
  • [r122] and Earlier Mods

Let’s just say [r123] has just been released. This is what would happen to all mods.

All mods would have been working for [r122] and be in the [r122] and Earlier Mods sub forum. When the author logs in he will receive an automated message asking a multiple choice question.

Is ‘[Mod][r122] EndPieces 1.06 - (Fixed Collisions, Regions etc…)’ updated for [r123]’

• Yes
  • No

If the author replies yes the mod is moved to the [r123] Mods and the title branch release is automatically update to [r123] from [r122].

If the author replies no or doesn’t reply at all. The mod stays with the older version tag.

That would be my implementation, but that will take some work.

1 Like

Moderators can edit titles and posts if needed, but as you say, it’s not an easy task.

@Jomaxro, maybe this would be a good example for the wiki tests.

1 Like

I don’t think that much would be necessary, but subforums covering ‘Released Mods’, ‘WIP Mods’ and ‘Mod Requests’ should exist if possible, currently all three are jumbled in together and it’s a little disheartening to see “Awesome Mod!” as a title and find out it’s someone with no intention of creating it due to lack of skills or whatever, just asking for someone else to make it.

Mod authors taking it upon themselves to tag at least the latest confirmed working version would be all that is needed to get basic version info, I see you’ve put [All Versions] in your EndPieces title which is good for quick scanning through topics but when it comes to someone searching say [A13] for the latest version it probably won’t show up. Having a bit at the end of your topics initial post would enhance search as it currently is if you were to add each individual version in some way as the search function seems to check text inside topics as well as titles, but odds are that people will mostly look for the latest 2 versions and having…

[Mod] [A12-A13] EndPieces 1.06 - (Fixed Collisions, Regions etc…)

…that would be enough to cover that. You could also specify the revision numbers but from what I’ve seen there’s no real need to be that specific as the revisions in each alpha don’t seem to change enough to cause a mod to stop working (please correct me if I’m wrong there, I probably am).

@Shizuyori Would storing the files in a sub-folder named using the mod version not be enough to solve it overwriting a mods other versions? Or is that something not easily done with how you currently do it?

Or, you could pre-fix a number which is unique and stored in the database, then have it remove that prefix after the file is downloaded into the games mod folder.

1 Like

Great idea! Done! I have made the first post a wiki topic, which means everyone should be able to edit it. If I remember correctly new users (TL0) will not be able to edit it, but considering how quick and easy it is to reach TL1 I don’t think this will be a big deal.

I like the idea of some mod subcategories (I tend to be a fan of organization), but I am going to take this discussion behind the curtain for a bit (talk with mods and TR) and will fill you in after!

4 Likes

ok the wikifunction works ^^ but its looks like every change will be taken by “alfie” xD i have add my mods (and others) and get the info that alfie has mentioned me xD

2 Likes

Glad to hear that you got it working!

I noticed that when I made an edit as well. The good news is that the edit log does maintain the correct editor, but it does seem like the notifications come from the wrong user. I will file a bug report with Discourse tomorrow…

1 Like

Sorry for the lengthy and a little long winded somewhat technical description below, the more input i have from everyone though the better Praise can be for us all :wink:

Yea both really good suggestions, the first option of having individual sub folders requires quite a bit of work which was why i suggested renaming the files :wink: heh…, it requires changing the make mod page, edit pages and then various areas of the app but is also the cleanest approach i think.

the second option (which i’ll probably go with to try anyway) should be much less work, it also means its backwards compatible with the older app.

both of these do have two problems though it means you can only have one version of the mod installed, ie when it downloads the file (and with option 2 here renaming the file) it will overwrite the file in place, i guess thats ok as you only need one file of the mod in place and the most recent one that works i suppose so maybe thats ok? any thoughts? would overwriting the file be ok?

I also thought that any mods on praise are WIP however if a file is added (what i call a version) then it is essentially released but definitely not final, i guess my suggestion for WIP/MOD on the Praise website is that if its WIP (you don’t want anyone to test or download it) don’t create a version, any mod without a version attached won’t be listed in the app.

The new app has two areas:
One for Browsing Mods (which is a list from the praisedb but filters for only mods with versions and then only lists the most recent version, i have now also added the option to only show mods that are compatible (it cross references the stonehearth.exe build version against the stonehearth build version users associate with a version.

The second area is a “My Mods” area which scans the mods directory for any mods, compares them against the praisedb and then lists them (so it doesn’t list stonehearth.smod etc) it also checks the date which is where it determines if an update is available, this has a bug associated with it though as any mod that is updated on the same day that a user installs it (i read the file creation date) isn’t recognised as having an update, this only affects mods where the praisedb mods version version hasn’t changed though as my comparison also checks the version, i will add a time value too to fix that too but this will all be sorted for the first release.

3 Likes

@Wiese2007, forgot to mention that the bug has been reported and the devs agree the current system is not good. Current timeline on a fix is this week, so hopefully this will be resolved soon!

1 Like

Your are missing a mod:
http://discourse.stonehearth.net/t/mod-slabs-with-terrain-colors-updated-for-a14/14957

very very very usefulllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

@groms, feel free to add it to the first post yourself! The post is a “wiki-post”, so anyone can edit it.

2 Likes

Well this is a blast from the past. I was thinking about old communities and decided to hop back online, and this is still active! I thought it would have been replaced, but it seems the @moderators have been keeping it up to date and all that.

I have a lot to catch up on.

5 Likes

Welcome back @Alfie!

Well, we can’t really take the credit for keeping this topic up-to date…@demonsage mentioned it was outdated, and after some discussion we made the post a “wiki”, so everyone can edit it. Multiple users (like @Wiese2007, @The_M, and @BrunoSupremo helped update it.

4 Likes