Stonehearth goes 1.0!

Yeah, Northern Alliance, Buns, Titan, and Geomancer had been in progress from the content team (Luke, Max, Allie, Malley) since January, but were waiting for final touches behind MP/Builder/Performance.

The release schedule is a bit wonky because it couldn’t be beta till the main systems were done, but we can’t push out the release date any more because people have made commitments to new teams/life adventures, etc. I’m pretty sure that the content is stable enough to land successfully, but it’s a bit weird to get the equivalent of 5 alphas all in a month (seasons would be the last one).

8 Likes

Oh, drats. Something I missed in my first response;

Engineer: Currently available.

Does that mean the existing class is going away?
Or just nothing new for it?

1 Like

Just nothing new, it was a kickstarter promise and was fulfilled :merry:

1 Like

Okay, excellent. I was afraid it was going to disappear and I’d lose any chance at the mod idea I keep kicking around (and not pursuing yet :sweat: )

1 Like

I’ve been gone for a while now, as my concerns were always met with, “Let’s wait and see” whenever I talked about how this game was coming to an end. And then I see this news article on my Steam today and had to return.

Honestly, I could rant about so many things at this point, but it doesn’t really matter. I know what I said vs what’s happened. That said, a few questions I was hoping would be answered but I haven’t read yet;

1. With the game crashing to an end, and all the devs leaving in less than a year’s time, will the engine become open-source with release 1.1 for others to create community fixes and additions in 2019 and the future?

2. With the Kickstarter pet backers (mod), will there be some sort of protection on its use, or will it just be another steam workshop mod that everyone, whether they backed or not, can use?

3. Will the “Not Implemented” Job abilities be finished or was that “Cut From The Game” as well?

I had more, but have forgotten them at this point. Also just noticed the submitting your name for the thank you on Kickstarter and see that I’m 5 days too late. Sorry to be egotistical about it, but hope I can still get on that list.

5 Likes
  1. that was somehow answered over here i think:
    A Message to the Devs and the Community - #46 by Jay_Carr
    from Max:

On the point of open-sourcing the C++ engine. We have certainly discussed this, and the decision not to do it is not final. However, if you look at the practical aspects, it does not provide much beyond what is possible with Lua,

2 and 3 calling @sdee maybe

3 Likes

Wow…time sure does fly by fast!!! I remember seeing y’all on kickstarter and begging my dad to let me back y’all. Of course he said no, but from that day on I have been constantly watching the game grow and I have been telling my friends about y’all and informing the world what an amazing game y’all built. 5 years later I’m going off to college with a tear in my eye that that part of my life is over. But Congratulations to y’all!!! Y’all accomplished what yall set out to do.

Though I must say that this is not exactly what I assumed would happen when y’all finished the game. I was expecting 1.0 to release, and then like minecraft or many other games for the next few years every few months a new update(like the alphas). Though I guess we cant get everything we want.

On the note of good bye, could you tell us what everyone on the team is moving onto and a dedicated page for the social media accounts so we can keep up with the team( and constantly beg them to come back XD!!!) Saying goodbye is hard, but when you know you have a way to stay connected, the goodbye is much easier.

Again Congrats!!!

6 Likes

Your third question I really want to know. I have been literally waiting years for those to be implemented(I think XD).

2 Likes

Even if the game isn’t everything I wanted it to be it still hit close to the mark. And the 246 hours I put into really show that I got every cent out of those $20 I spent on it. And I know that many others of y’all had hundreds of more hours from it. I paid 8 cents for every hour I played. Money well spent.

3 Likes

Also in the spirit of remembering, is there anyway to access a download for every alpha published so that we can see again how the game grew and progressed.

5 Likes

Would it be possible if we got some statistics on how many people have bought Stonehearth on steam and such, and maybe if possible how many hours total have been spent total playing stonehearth.

4 Likes

As a very old fan (from three days after the kick starter closed unfortunately), I have to say this came as a shock and led to more than a bit of disappointment. What saddens me in particular is the lack of other planes, however I understand that they would have been difficult to implement.
What I would like to suggest is potentially either a radiant/ex-radiant or leading modder supported list of mods, similar to the community update or the amazing JFDLC for civ 5. I personally think that this t\is he best way of keeping the game alive in perpetuity after it has been, if not abandoned then, hastily finished. I understand the enormous amount of work this would require, but I would love for this game to thrive long into the future.

However, I would also like to thank Team Radiant, in particular @sdee, for being so transparent with and so supporting of the community, you guys have been an inspiration for how to manage a community. My tuesdays will be just that bit more empty.

8 Likes

Radiant said that mod will be available from Kickstarter backer’s page. So, technically speaking, it has no protection (anyone who got it can upload it to torrents), but it’s not exactly “in the open”.
Speaking of question 3, I second that. “Not implemented” job abilities are a long-expected feature.

As for your “rantings”, that’s what we love and remember you for - for speaking up your mind, even if it doesn’t please everyone.

4 Likes

Is there going to be anything available for the community to keep existing and building on the game even though it’s being killed off ?

Approximately 30-45 percent of the 6-lvl abilities have the signature that they are not implemented. Will we see them in the release?

8 Likes

Hello, Please help me, I don’t know how to do the first quest for the rabbit clan

1 Like

Half the stuff we’re still expecting won’t be coming. Modders won’t get access to source codes and we will be left with a dead game.

4 Likes

Shared as a torrent and passed around on pirate sites is one thing, as that calls someone’s morals (for lack of a better word) into play. But just a single file that next year will be uploaded to Steam when the devs leave feels like one more kick to the side for backers, who most (from my memory) have already felt down about what they backed vs what we’re getting.

A good chunk of what we backed was “Cut From The Game”, and going a step further, the pet’s tiers from Kickstarter cost more than the game by itself does today. I personally backed $30 for the cat, as I’m a cat guy, so when myself and others dished out MORE than the game costs, and someone who either only backed the minimum or bought it tomorrow for $20 gets the same “reward” as I do, to put it lightly, it bothers me.

To keep it short, before they completely leave, I’d like to see some love for the backers that didn’t get what we were promised. Getting the same pets at T3 is fine with me, as that means someone has to play / work to get it, but don’t make it so easy for Little Timmy to just come along, click a button on Steam, and get what I paid extra for.

Get out of here with that negativity

1 Like

It’s truthful, deal with it.