Stockpiles and AI

This has probably has been said before but I was just wondering about the AI behavior around stockpiles. For example, lets say I have a black smith and a carpenter in houses next to each other. Their own stock piles are in the right corner of their own house. What keeps the black smith from going over to the carpenter’s house to drop off a couple of swords where there should be carpenter items?

I believe you assign the types of materials allowed for each stockpile. If you set a stockpile for wood, only wood can be stored there. This is the plan at least, I don’t think they have implemented this yet.

I’m just curious because if that is the case, then you assign black smith stockpiles or do you have to check off every item that you want in that stockpile?

@Crobo you correct good sir! This is how the Devs have said they plan to do it, though it might have been confusing because in the Pre-Alpha builds this functionality had not been added yet :tongue:

You will be able to assign a stockpile to a crafter. In the latest live stream Tom said these will be like ‘out boxes’ for when your crafter has crafted something. These out boxes will be in your crafter’s workshop.

AH! Brilliant brilliant! Sounds good to me lol.

@Crobo has the right of it… and this was the only official nugget i could locate…

Fitting doors and windows?

“Our current thinking (subject 100% to change) is that the carpenter
builds the door or window, and puts it in a stockpile designated to
hold furnishings. The workers are responsible for taking the door and
fitting it into the house.”

Jenkies! Another clue! Thanks :smile_cat:

1 Like

Also, something overarching for the whole game, is they don’t want you to really have to get down to the nitty gritty of everything:

You should think of us as the orchestrator, so in relation to the whole stockpile thing, it’s likely you’ll designate a specific stockpile with the items you want in there, but you won’t have to physically say yes or no to each item.

1 Like

Very similar to the way Gnomoria works.
btw there is a free demo of Gnomoria available to pass the time while waiting for Stonehearth to be released.

thanks, i might give this another go… i just couldnt get into it the first time around… im not entirely sure why either… :disappointed:

failing that, i’ll be playing some Torchlight this weekend… couldnt pass up the free version GoG was offering earlier this week… :+1:

I actually wrote a quick tutorial for new players on the Gnomoria forum. I think it is all you need to play the demo:
Ondaderthad Gnomoria Demo tutorial

2 Likes

brilliant! that will definitely help me get out of the gates! :+1:

back OT, i didnt see it in your guide, but im guessing your drag out an area to designate where specific raw materials are to be placed? are they resource specific, or one spot fits all?

In Stonehearth I don’t know for sure but I guess it will be like Gnomoria stockpiles. You drag a rectangle and designate any item that will be stored there. ie. One type only or multiple types in any combination.
It’s a powerful game mechanic that lets you decide the traffic flow of your people.

sorry, i was referring to gnomoria, not SH… although that is the general understanding for SH as well (specific stockpiles for specific resources)…

hehe… probably the reason why I compared the two games. Same scope, same systems.

The Gnomoria stockpile system lets you open a check list of all possible items to store. You tick or untick any of them.
ie. you can store pine planks but untick applewood planks. and store any logs at the same time.
This allows you to divide the storage in any part of your city where you need the products.
For example (to keep similar to what we know of SH) you have a carpenter specializing in making applewood furniture but not using any other planks. You designate a stockpile near him/her to store only applewood planks. While the other carpenter making generic items will have a stockpile nearby storing any sort of planks.

Easier to do in game than explain on a post. :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree:

haha… no, i understood your explanation… :smile:

and the concept is intriguing… it seems to be fairly micro in nature though, so it might not get than granular in SH…

Judging from what @Tom and @Ponder have touched on, we may see something like that though. and I don’t think its that micro, considering its something you decide and do once, rather than something you have to be constantly monitoring.

oh, absolutely… im not ruling anything out… :wink:

im just not sure how much fun (or worthwhile) it will be to have individual stock piles for pine vs. oak vs. fir raw materials… then again, once they have material specific stockpiles in place (raw lumber vs. tools vs. cloth, etc.), i suppose its not much of a stretch to take it that one step further…

Well, that and the fact that its not something you HAVE to do. If you just want a “wood” stockpile, fine. If you want to go more basic and do a “building materials” stockpile, fine. If you want to be super focused and have it separated by wood type, that’s fine too. Plus, it fits with the farming idea of choosing how deep you want to get into something. Are you fine with accepting the minimum/“easy way out” for somethings? If not, you can go as complex as you want.

1 Like