Spoolicus' Adventures in Pixelmancing! (Or, "Seriously, What Does it Take to Get an Update Around Here?")

Pixelmancing. It’s what I call making pixel art. Pixel, being obvious. Mancing, meaning “A practitioner of something.” What I want to do is get better at this art form, and to do that I look to the community for help and inspiration. Plus, it’s always nice to get closer to the community, which I haven’t been lately. I know my absence has been heartrending, but fear not, as I plan to change that.

What I plan to do is, sometime during the day, I will come back to this post and see if anyone has requests for me. If not, I will work on something I decide and post the result the next day. If there are suggestions, I will work on those instead, a maximum of one or two a day, and post the results the next day. I will do this in order to get better at pixel art and get more involved with the Stonehearth community.

What I need from all of you is one thing (with many parts involved):
Suggestions!

Anything you think you want me to make, post it here! Want me to draw a building? An animal? A person? Tell me, and I’ll do my best to make it happen! Now, as an added bonus, I’m allowing you to set criteria for me to meet! Do you want me to draw something on a certain sized canvas? Is there a limit on the amount of colors I can use? Go crazy! Tell me any restrictions you might want me to work on, and I’ll do it! I only want to get better!

Here’s all the suggestions that I still need to work on:

Here’s the suggestions I’ve completed:

1. [quote=“Swift_Cube, post:2, topic:6220, full:true”]
    Draw yourself in full Pixelmancer robes of Greatness!
    [/quote]

This pixel art piece was made on a canvas of 24 x 24 pixels. Featuring 11(?) colors and a scantily clad version of myself (complete with strapping good looks), this piece took about half an hour to create. What can I learn from this piece? I was having a hard time figuring out how to convey an idea with such a small workspace. From the monitor to the painting in the background (which sadly does not exist in my home), I had trouble fitting in detail. What this piece taught me is that each pixel matters to the artwork. If one of the pixels was displaced, particularly in the hair section, the piece would be different. Pixel art requires the use of each particular placement of each pixel. In all it was a fun little challenge piece to work on. Thanks for making this possible, @Swift_Cube!

Here is the second piece of my pixelmancing adventures. This time, the canvase is made up of 96x96 pixels. I honestly had a lot of trouble with this one, as I hate mountains. You’ll notice the “mountains” are just a wall of brown. I will come back to this in the future, when I have more knowledge about how to actually shade natural landscapes. On to the rest of the piece! Hidden behind the logo is Hyrule Castle, which I also hated, so that was a nice little accident there. I initially chose The Legend of Zelda as my 80’s inspired piece for a few reasons. I grew up with the Legend of Zelda in the early 2000’s. A Link to the Past was one of the first games I ever played as a kid. Instead of drawing something from there, however, I though it would be fun to attempt an Ocarina of Time backdrop. In keeping with the 80’s idea, I was initially going to recreate the original LoZ Title Screen, however that changed. Not sure why. Anyway, the second reason why I chose The Legend of Zelda was that I knew the logo would be fun to draw. That’s really all there is to it. What can I learn from this piece? I need to work on my shadowing. If the mountains and the dithering are any indication, I really need to do better with all of that. I’ll keep practicing in my off time. Thanks for making this possible, @SteveAdamo!

Work that I’ve done on my own:

These two gents are things that I’ve mocked up recently as a sort of test for a palette.

Well, what are you waiting for? Suggest away!

6 Likes

Draw yourself in full Pixelmancer robes of Greatness! :smile:

1 Like

bust out some classic 80s era inspired pixel art:

• Zelda
  • MegaMan
  • PacMan
  • Mario Brothers

:+1:

1 Like

The requested piece has been completed! Thank you for your service! I still feel that it isn’t as good as it could be, though. I’ll keep looking at it tomorrow and see if I can do a better job. I don’t know, maybe it’s just the perfectionist in me talking. I feel like the gold is too green and I didn’t have to use so many colors. I guess it’s just something I’ll have to refine as I work on more pieces.

2 Likes

It’s really great! You look… er… Pixely in your robe!

Please recreate the Stonehearth Logo in Pixels.

1 Like

Make me in pixel form!!! (A dog, Just base it off my avatar)

Draw a stonehearth villager being promoted to any of the three jobs available. Carpenter, trapper or farmer.

1 Like

nicely done! I particularly liked your “lessons learned” expose… :smile:

A Female Dwarf please…

1 Like

@EpicDwarf like this one?

@SteveAdamo, your requested piece, [quote=“SteveAdamo, post:3, topic:6220”]
bust out some classic 80s era inspired pixel art
[/quote]

has been completed! Enjoy!

no no no… thank you for making this gorgeous pixel art! if you are truly just starting out on this adventure, you are clearly off to an impressive start my friend! :smile: :+1:

1 Like

Way better than mine already… :wink:

I don’t know what to say, other than to keep practicing! You’ll keep improving, keep working, keep getting better! Thanks for the huge compliment!

So I haven’t had much time today to do any sort of pixel art, so sorry about that. Instead, I spent about ten minutes drawing up a couple of mockup characters, which you can see at the bottom of my first post. As a sort of consolation, both @EpicDwarf and @Newf will be getting their art tomorrow! At the same time! Yay! Unless things prevent me from working again, in which case, I’ll just do a couple more mockups!

Don’t forget to keep suggesting pieces for me to work on! I feed off of your ideas! (and your souls)
-Spoolicus

@Newf is going to be in Pixels, not Voxels or Flesh and Bone?

DOES NOT COMPUTE

2 Likes

Oooh, I want a GLaDOS pixel art! (you could do potato GLaDOS if the alternate is too hard)

I just did something amazing! I Voxelized your Pixel art of you Pixelmancing!
Here are some pictures:

Download Link:
https://www.mediafire.com/?nfdru50t0cbabgg

1 Like

This has been a long time coming. I tend to be sporadic with anything I do because I tend to lose interest when I start feeling like I can actually enjoy myself for once. After I stated that both Newf and EpicDwarf’s requests would be completed, I got up the next day to realize that I had no time to work on anything, yet again. That led me into a great state of mind where I figured “I’ll just delay it to tomorrow since I can’t do it today” which turned in to “oh god its been a week i totally forgot i cant come back to these people I’m a quitter crap crap crap

Which leads me to where I am right now. Up at 12:30 in the morning nearly a month and a half later with a new piece of artwork that I had the urge to share. What happens if I stop again? What happens if, by some odd chance, I lose motivation? What will they think of me? I don’t care. I’m going to try my hardest to actually commit to this thing. I started it, I’m going to end it. Here’s the new piece.

[http://i.imgur.com/wY2QoIj.png][1]

This is me. I’m not quite as pixely or smiley in real life. This image is 17 pixels x 40 pixels, with a total of 9 colors. I figured I needed something other than that silly one of me wearing a skimpy bathrobe to represent me by. Also, I’m sick of that giraffe as my avatar. Let’s see how I do this time, folks. Sorry for letting you all down last time.

Cheers,
Spoolicus

P.S. (So, apparently, I’m a Leader. Not sure why, honestly. is it a length of time thing, or is it awarded by the mods?)
[1]: http://i.imgur.com/wY2QoIj.png