Screen freeze at first night fall

Hi there,

I keep coming across an issue where the screen freezes during the initiation of night fall on the first day. I hear the music and sound effects, as if the game is still running, but the image is frozen. I have waited awhile to see if it is a slow refresh period, but I can hear the game go back to the morning cycle with no refresh of the screen.

Could someone please provide any assistance?

Thanks,

Holdie

1 Like

Same here, game freezes up shortly after the first day. Took off every single mod in hopes of fixing the problem, no luck there (and I kept the essential ones like radiant, rayyas, stonehearth, and debug tools) Problems persists whether on Rayya or Ascendancy. I know it isn’t my computer because I recently got a new gaming computer. Verified game integrity in Steam, did nothing.

…I may have fixed it, a friend suggested I delete the essential mods, then use steam game integrity. Have to play more to see if the freeze problem comes back but I’m heading to bed.

Since it happens at nightfall, it is probably the number of lights in your town. You could try turning down that number in the game settings to see if it helps.

The freeze issue came back when I put mods back on. And my freezes have nothing to do with lights since I build nothing just let them walk around chopping trees (because it’s easier to see a game freeze if they are actually moving).

Actually it might have have everything to do with lights since it freezes when they light the base hearth. =_=

Upon increasing my max lights and shadows it works fine (for now…).

1 Like

What are your system specs? The freeze (even some sort of black screen) at night / firepit has been common for a long while, although I have only seen it when I had a low-end pc rig. Shouldn’t happen that badly nowadays, I think.

Increasing or decreasing? :thinking:
One thing that somehow helped was pointing your camera so that the firepit wasn’t in sight when they light it.
Though doesn’t seem that it would help in your case :confused:

Definitely, lowering the shadows / lights in the settings should help.

I definitely increased my max lights and upped all my settings.

My boyfriend also plays stonehearth and he wasn’t having any issues at all. At first I thought it was my mods because generally, when I have game problems it’s because I’ve downloaded too many mods and one of them does not work correctly (either with the game or just the other mods in general). After Golden mentioning it might be my lights, which I at first rejected because I had NO other lights than the hearth, I then noticed that the freezing happens exactly when they light the fire.

In any case, when comparing my game settings to his, mine were much lower. My boyfriend thought that maybe my settings were too low that the game didn’t know how to display the lights at nightfall or something (guessing in the dark after like 2-3 days of me test running stonehearth, which by the way I would think the problem was fixed if my hearthlings started with no wood and speeded through the first couple of days without lighting the campfire).

Since I have a new computer I turned all the settings to max, loaded the game just before nightfall, watched the hearthling grab the wood and start to light the fire and viola! It didn’t freeze ^_^.

1 Like

I’m not sure exactly what information you wanted but this is my computer specs.

MyCompSpecs

And these were (I believe) the lower settings I was using when I was having the freezing issue.

This is what I upped the Graphics Settings to-

I hope that helps.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, @HiddenSmileInMyEyes :slightly_smiling_face:

What about you, @Holdie? Does it still freeze for you?

Are you sure it’s an issue with lighting? To me it crashes on the first night of the game, yet the game runs smoothly, just like Holdie. I even tried increasing the number of lights but it still freezes on the first night… Could it really be my PC not being good enough? @Relyss @Golden

Specs:
Muh%20Speccs

Does it crash the moment they try to light the firepit? Do you have any lamps placed before that happens?

Does the stonehearth.log say anything useful when that happens? It should be inside C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stonehearth.

Have you tried with the graphic settings at the minimum and disabling the high quality graphics option?
Which graphic card do you have? Have you tried updating its drivers from its manufacturer’s website?

Are you using any mods?

They could be trying to light the firepit, it happened to me the second it went to midnight, but I had literally 0 lamps, again my first night. I saw this in the log but I don’t know what it means, This is my first time on this pc where I have issues like this.

2016-09-27 00:34:03.250104 | server | 2 | simulation.core | game loop exhausted before any jobs processed!
2016-09-27 00:34:04.865196 | server | 2 | simulation.core | game loop exhausted before any jobs processed!
2016-09-27 00:34:05.589238 | server | 2 | simulation.core | game loop exhausted before any jobs processed!
2016-09-27 00:34:06.358282 | server | 2 | simulation.core | game loop exhausted before any jobs processed!
2016-09-27 00:34:07.851367 | server | 2 | simulation.core | game loop exhausted before any jobs processed!
2016-09-27 00:34:08.174386 | server | 2 | simulation.core | game loop exhausted before any jobs processed!
2016-09-27 00:34:09.385455 | server | 2 | simulation.core | game loop exhausted before any jobs processed!
2016-09-27 00:34:09.758476 | server | 2 | simulation.core | game loop exhausted before any jobs processed!
2016-09-27 00:34:10.260505 | server | 2 | simulation.core | game loop exhausted before any jobs processed!
2016-09-27 00:34:10.509519 | server | 2 | simulation.core | game loop exhausted before any jobs processed!
2016-09-27 00:34:12.261619 | server | 2 | simulation.core | game loop exhausted before any jobs processed!
2016-09-27 00:34:13.543693 | server | 2 | simulation.core | game loop exhausted before any jobs processed!

I have also set the settings to minimum, such as shadows and max number of lights and it actually worked. I have no mods installed, and I sent this picture of my graphic card specs, I’m also in the process of updating the drivers…
raddleone