S.M.O.M - Stonehearth Music Overhaul Mod

Actually there is more than the title screen, right? We know that there will be some kind of “Options” or “Settings” where you can:

• Assign names to your settlers
  • Activate/deactivate Kickstarter-Pets
  • Influence the terrain building
  • etc.

While we do not know that all of this (and more) will be bundled in one location I guess it would make sense to have this kind of settings at one place at the beginning. So the theme would probably continue to play while the player is browsing through the settings.

2 Likes

Indeed you are right. There are many assumptions that are safe or unsafe to make:

• It is safe to say there will be a title screen.
  • It isn’t safe, however, to assume what will be on it.

I hope you like the final version of my next track @voxel_pirate :slight_smile:

Getting there for sure :wink:. That is somehow what I have had in my mind. It is still not “overexcited” but with the additional instruments gains a bit over time and somehow “develops”. Like it for sure more now. At the end I will hire you to compose a short piece for my future modding & playing videos :stuck_out_tongue:.

Btw. @SteveAdamo & @tyrcian … if you post the URL (not the share-link), it should work as “widget” (just don’t get confused by the preview which shows only the related screenshot):

https://soundcloud.com/tyrcian/grass-biome-1-preview

2 Likes

Thanks! If you do you will be the first person to ever hire me :stuck_out_tongue:

yup, thats what threw me… i knew we had posted these before though… :smile:

@tyrcian … i am really enjoying the grasslands track… and while the introduction of new instruments is always nice, i was perfectly content with the music up to the 00:51 mark… could have heard that looping (quietly) in the background for some time… :wink:

p.s. i edited your original post, with the embedded link to SC… hope you dont mind!

That’s great thanks for sorting it. I did think “Oh maybe it should just come up like the youtube videos do?” but when I copied the link it didn’t work. Obviously the tiny url format was what threw it.

And I’m addressing that issue in the music Steve. I’d like to thank the few of you who’ve commented, even if it doesn’t make it as a mod, it’s helped me already as a musician.

1 Like

You fairly obviously know what you’re doing, and if you own Cubase then that kind of proves it. Do you actually do anything with music? Or is it just a hobby?

As for making it as a mod, it may well do. What I’m really hoping for is with such an easy-to-mod game, somebody will make a generic music altering mod and release it. I don’t think it would be hard to do, they’re making everything as mods anyway so music should be made as one, hopefully it might be as simple as you can access where it runs each track’s file and from there you can remove or add music. I would love if Radiant would make it that easy, it would be awesome.

Of course to actually code in the music at certain points would almost certainly require some work. My way only works for tracks just randomly playing. Whether Radiant would go for randomised tracks, or whether they’ll do it your way, I don’t know. They may have said it, but I don’t remember.

Technically you could say it’s still a hobby as I’ve never ever been paid for work, mostly for lack of knowing where to find it. I decided to study Music Production at a conservatoire here in the UK to help me get started on my career path.

I’m sure they mentioned that scripted events would happen somewhere, but as these would already be coded in to play music it should be as simple as swapping the files.

What may be problematic is if they have a cutscene that you’re forced to watch for example when a goblin horde appears. Even if this is the case, I simply have to stop scoring for an infinite amount of time and score for a scripted amount of time. Kind of like scoring a trailer I guess.

Quick update: I’ve created a truly magical melody for the grasslands biome. It’s rare that I’m this impressed with my own work :smiley:

1 Like

is it the same sound cloud link? i have to hop onto an off network machine to listen… shhh! :speak_no_evil:

No preview this time :stuck_out_tongue: you’ll hear it when it’s done!

Edit: Sorry for the lack of updates, been busy pretty much all week but next week I have a lot of free time so you should definitely see another track by then.

2 Likes

Finally finished the grasslands biome piece. Hope people enjoy it :slight_smile:

1 Like

well, my non-musically inclined ears couldnt pick up whatever changes you incorporated… however, i still thoroughly enjoyed it! :smile:

1 Like

I quite like it. Not sure if it doesn’t build up too much at the end before it all calms down again, it sorta has me imagining a grand kingdom at that point, but a very pleasant and calm piece none-the-less, very fitting. :smile:

Thanks! Any preference as to what track I should do next? I was thinking about either some battle music or finishing the races pieces.

to be honest, im good with any new tracks… :smiley:

we have, however, seen mostly the “peaceful” variety from other musicians…

I’d better get the taiko drums out then…

Say the swamp piece Steve!

If you were getting sick of grasslands, I’d see this as a really good change, composing (probably) in a minor key? Or other than that, I’m seriously eager to hear Dwarves or Glacier. Can’t quite think how they’d sound :smile:

1 Like

Funnily enough I usually write most of my pieces in minor, so this has been a good exercise :slight_smile:

1 Like

Of my unbelievably limited experience with composition, I’ve yet to actually enter the scary world of minor…:scream:

I enjoyed the grasslands piece itself, it’s obviously difficult to frame such things in a Stonehearthian (TM pending) way to see if the feeling marries up with the gameplay.

Having said that it definitely gave that impression of a peacefulness … it kinda reminded me of Banjo Kazooie a little bit … just a little bit though.

1 Like