[Dev Blog] Stonehearth Music Update

Hey,

Wanted to link the devblog update I made in the discourse. If anyone wanted to comment, or ask questions, we can start a conversation here.

http://stonehearth.net/2014/04/10/stonehearth-music-update/

10 Likes

Whoa, 2 posts on the Dev Blog in a week? Weā€™re getting spoiled rotten! :wink:

My favorite track by far was ā€œIn the Pantry of the Mountain Kingā€. I love how you adapted Griegā€™s work, itā€™s truly beautiful. Now I can play your tracks and pretend to be classy :D!

6 Likes

@Swift_Cube couldnā€™t agree more :wink: I feel like Raj knew that I had a soft spot for In the Hall of the Mountain King while creating that track. Heā€™s a sneaky guy.

5 Likes

thanks @Doug! time to peruseā€¦ :+1:

you missed the golden ā€œfirstā€ opportunityā€¦ for shameā€¦

4 Likes

ā€œHow can we make each season sound unique, and different??ā€

I have very little experience in composing music, and this might just throw off everything, but maybe you could includeā€¦ Non conventional sounds for music? Like put season related bits into music?

Examples: For a winter track, you could put heavy snowshoes crunching snow, for summer, @SteveAdamo slurping from a glass of lemonade :wink:, for fall, raking leavesā€¦

I dunno, just an idea?

It was my first time, and I was flusteredā€¦ I will try better next time, I promise! :frowning:

6 Likes

Oh @Doug youā€™re easily in my top 6 favourite people in Team R.

Itā€™s always a welcome to get a glimpse as to what is happening with everyone this week, and the music at the bottom is glorious - @Raj, I might just have to start a fan club up.

As for some of the questions you posed:

• How can we make each season sound unique, and different??

I think @Raj nails this himself in the blog:

ā€œdifferent instruments and styles for different seasons. Plucky strings and orchestras for Spring, warm summer guitars and flutes for Summer, somber & peaceful piano led music for Autumn and horns and shakers for Winter.ā€

I also think @Swift_Cube had a good idea there, couple the difference in tone, instrument, and style with seasonal sound effects and youā€™re on to a winner - as long as you can convey what each season feels like (no biggy right?) then youā€™re golden :slight_smile:

Also perhaps transitional pieces would be good? So not just Spring > Summer > Autumn > Winter, but pieces that almost flow into each other, transitional pieces that are an amalgamation of the two seasons.

Iā€™m sure Iā€™m full of more grand ideas, Iā€™ll probably update this in a bit!

Edit:

So, to answer the other questions you posed @Doug :

• What are your guys thoughts on the tone that has been established in the Alpha music?

The music so far has been great, itā€™s really captured the tone of the game nicely and adds a hell of a lot to the experience, it automatically makes the world and game feel more vibrant, alive, and exciting. Game music is incredibly important, and so far from what weā€™ve seen, youā€™re ticking all the boxes!

@Raj yet again summarises nicely at the end there:

ā€œWhen composing the soundtrack for Mario Galaxy, Koji Kondo warned his musicians not to make the music ā€˜cuteā€™ but to make it ā€˜coolā€™ and take it seriously and what an amazing soundtrack we got for it. For that reason, I want to stay away from chiptunes and bit music but still maybe dabble here and there to help mix in with the voxel-throwback style. What do you think?ā€

Yes yes and yes. I think youā€™re bang on the money.

In regards to dynamic music:

• What are some other ideas you can think of??

• Death of a settler - an announcement followed by sombre mournful music? If you lost a settler during a battle then this could perhaps play after the battle, I suppose similar to what you said in regards to being attacked.

• Fire - Erratic and panicky to reflect the extra warmth around the place.

• If/when weather is introduced - Should a storm be approaching then play some ominous music.

The list goes on I suppose!

5 Likes

What about Mister Wombat? :frowning: [quote=ā€œGeoffers747, post:6, topic:5842ā€]
transitional pieces
[/quote]
Hadnā€™t thought of thatā€¦ it would be cool! Maybe you could (later in the game) have specialized tracks for different parts of a season (Mid-Autumn, Early Spring, etc.) However, that all depends how long seasons are gonna be.

Edit:

Just an idea, but maybe you could make a song influenced by ā€œTapsā€ to play whenever a settler (or maybe someone in the military) dies.

2 Likes

Maybe the different sounds (or tunes or whatever) could be related on what that role the unfortunate civilian was. A settler? Generic Funeral Music. A soldier? Trumpets ā€˜nā€™ stuff.

5 Likes

bahā€¦ work stepped in, and got all ā€œworkyā€ on meā€¦ so much to absorb and listen to now!

I love @Geoffers747ā€™s and @Swift_Cubeā€™s comments so farā€¦ will give everything a nice relaxing play through and try to add some intelligent comments of my own in a bitā€¦

try being the highly operative wordā€¦ :smile:

7 Likes

@Geoffers747

Also perhaps transitional pieces would be good? So not just Spring > Summer > Autumn > Winter, but pieces that almost flow into each other, transitional pieces that are an amalgamation of the two seasons.

Youā€™re on the money with this one sir. Transitional pieces are very important, and commonly are a better choice than a simple fade in/out. Great idea!

The music so far has been great, itā€™s really captured the tone of the game nicely and adds a hell of a lot to the experience, it automatically makes the world and game feel more vibrant, alive, and exciting. Game music is incredibly important, and so far from what weā€™ve seen, youā€™re ticking all the boxes!

Iā€™m glad you agree. We were very fortunate that @Raj was able to set a nice tone from the get go.

Death of a settler - an announcement followed by sombre mournful music? If you lost a settler during a battle then this could perhaps play after the battle, I suppose similar to what you said in regards to being attacked.

Fire - Erratic and panicky to reflect the extra warmth around the place.

If/when weather is introduced - Should a storm be approaching then play some ominous music.

I actually love the idea of music playing for the death of a settler, fantastic idea that I havenā€™t actually thought of yet, thank you :slight_smile: I think it might be best to use those situations with 1-3 second music stingers. Youā€™ll notice I use some 1-3 second music stingers currently for things like promoting someone, or when you plant your flag at the start of the game. It might be nice to have one of these stingers play anytime someone dies.

@Swift_Cube

Just an idea, but maybe you could make a song influenced by ā€œTapsā€ to play whenever a settler (or maybe someone in the military) dies.

Man, I love that idea :smile:

@Alfie

Maybe the different sounds (or tunes or whatever) could be related on what that role the unfortunate civilian was. A settler? Generic Funeral Music. A soldier? Trumpets ā€˜nā€™ stuff.

See look at us! What a team. @Geoffers747 throws out a great idea, and @Swift_Cube and @Alfie expand on it. Loving all of this, thank you :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Weā€™re a music makinā€™ machine! Geoffers is the raw materials, Alfie and I are the refineries, and you and @Rajā€¦ are the Executive Producers I guess? :wink:

3 Likes

@Geoffers747 is the Easel, You and @Alfie are the different colors of paint, and @Raj is the paint brush. Iā€™m the lucky guy who gets to sit back and watch :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Ooh! I wanna be orange! :wink:

Thatā€™s a somewhat poetic way of saying it, also.

3 Likes

I think this is accurate.

7 Likes

haha, I love this so much.

3 Likes

loving thisā€¦ those ā€œstingersā€ are working very nicely so far! question though: if we miss the demise of a unit (weā€™re focused clear across town) would we hear a muffled version of the stinger? would it play at all? this might transition into your discussion point about camera controls and audioā€¦

on a related note (pun mostly intended), what about having some somber positional audio play near the gravestone of a fallen unit (if adequately zoomed in on, like the existing sleeping lullaby)?

2 Likes

Music ties people together with strings! Get it? Strings on an instrument? Iā€™ll leave now.

How about a very loud FATALITY.

5 Likes

loving thisā€¦ those ā€œstingersā€ are working very nicely so far! question though: if we miss the demise of a unit (weā€™re focused clear across town) would we hear a muffled version of the stinger? would it play at all? this might transition into your discussion point about camera controls and audioā€¦

Really great question. I personally think these stingers have to play stereo (non positional) for situations like this. Having a death-stringer play in the foreground no matter where you are looking at that moment will give you that feeling of ā€œOh no!! what? how did this happen?!ā€ and will probably entice players to zoom around the map trying to find their fallen comrade.

Iā€™d hug you if you were here at my desk for this suggestion. Iā€™ll definitely be using this idea.

3 Likes

What about internet points? Theyā€™re a thing you can give. :wink:

1 Like

Doug hugs are worth much more than Internet Points, I assure you.

3 Likes