[Res] FIX INSIDE: Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)

resolved

Howdy!

Last night when I exited Stonehearth I got the blue screen of death which I’m pretty sure had something to do with my graphics card being briefly enabled or disabled - there was a brief error message from windows which mentioned Nvidia just before the BSOD occured.

I saved, and shut down Stonehearth properly (it wasn’t an alt-Tab switch or task manager end program exit). This didn’t happen with previous beta versions - I downloaded the latest beta last night through Steam, and then the problem happened.

My specs:

Windows 8
CPU: Core i5-3210M 2.5GHz
GFX: Nvidia GeForce GT 635M
RAM: 6GB

Has this happened to anyone else? I thought I’d check before trying the game again, it was maybe a one off, or perhaps an issue in general with Nvidia cards.

Many thanks for reading, any advice muchly appreciated!

Haven’t had any issues with my GTX 780 here… I am wondering about your graphics card drivers though, which may cause problems.

http://discourse.stonehearth.net/category/support/active-bug

This category would suit the thread better.

(my apologies, I wasn’t sure where this topic should go),

My graphics drivers are up to date, so I don’t think that’s an issue.

Did you by any chance also have Google Chrome open? Cus I remember getting BSOD because of chrome, scared the heck out of me because there was a big smiley face and it said, He’s dead, Jim! Thought it was a hacker with a sense of humour, when apparently it was some “hilarious” google devs. XD Check it out here: Fix “Aw, Snap!” page crashes and other page loading errors - Computer - Google Chrome Help

Hmmm. I do use Chrome, it’s possible it was open. I’ll make sure everything is closed then try the game. Thanks for your replies everyone.

Gah, just tried the game again. It crashed soon after I saved. This time though, there was no BSOD, however Windows became frozen and nothing responded, although I could move the mouse, the clock also froze. So, I had to shut down by holding the power button and reboot.

Chrome, or any other application, wasn’t running in the background.

This sucks as I love this game. I guess I’ll have to wait for a future release - previous betas didn’t have this issue, so hopefully the next version will be ok.

:frowning:

That’s not good, you’re right you probably shouldn’t push your luck.

Providing more system information might be helpful to the developers though. Some thoughts:

• Maybe there is a system crash log, and/or game log you can provide that might help.
  • Can you estimate how long you were playing for, or if anything noteworthy happened before crashing in both instances?
  • Do similar crashes happen to you on occasion that require hard shut down?
  • How long has it been since you’ve had a fresh windows install?
  • Do you have a ton of installed applications & running processes and / or low hard drive space?

I’m not qualified to do anything with this information, mind you.

Thanks for the reply mash_harder.

It’s possible I found a solution. First of all, I deleted then reinstalled Stonehearth. Secondly, my Nvidia background monitoring software claimed that my graphics drivers were up to date - but I checked the NVidia site and the latest one was about 8 months more recent. So I installed the latest driver, tested the game, and I could save/exit with no BSOD or freezing.

If anyone else uses Nvidia Geforce Experience, I’d check at the actual Nvidia site for latest driver info.

Thanks everyone!

thanks for the tip! this is definitely good to know going forward…

paging @not_owen_wilson … just adding this to the litany of graphics questions you might pose… :wink: