Regarding Vista no longer supported

With the new a20 out, and the game no longer being compatible for Vista, I was wondering if the modding community wouldn’t mind having a thread where people stuck with Vista as an OS could find mods that would work for them or for people who have already made mods to post their last a19 compatible version. I don’t know how much trouble it would be but I really do feel for people who purchased the game and now will be unable to upgrade to a20.

1 Like

I know we had a few people in the past submitting bug reports from Vista. I do wonder how many people are still on it, though.

I’ll do this in the most unscientific way possible by hoping anybody with Vista on here runs across this poll and hits that option. We don’t need to know how many people aren’t on Vista, really, but I had to add two choices to make Discourse accept this poll.

• Yes, I’m on Vista.
  • Don’t click this.

0 voters

Why can’t you upgrade to 7?

I feel the urge to click on “Don’t click on this”!!
Must… resist…

2 Likes

Honestly? I don’t know why anyone would still be running Vista. Perhaps that’s all they can afford. Not everyone’s got the spare money for a new OS.

Vista’s got more holes security wise than a sponge. If you’re able to run this beast of a game even somewhat properly and given my computer had a video card that could only run the game in low graphics prior to my upgrade and it was over 6 years old and ran 7 sp2, I don’t know how old or out of date a computer would have to be to still be running Vista.

But, believe it or not, there are people running into this problem on the Steam forums, so I thought I’d bring the subject up. I guess I just felt we were leaving some folks behind for a while at this point and I felt bad for them since dang they not only have a crappy OS now they can’t even attempt to play Stonehearth.

2 Likes

I didn’t mean any offense by my question. As for affording it, I mean…in an honest world, that’s true. In the actual world, someone knows someone who “has” or can “get” a copy of newer OS’s. But I’ll leave it at that, as I don’t want to offend anyone who’s against pirating.

This is true, but at the same time, when you’re running an OS that was only supported from 2006 to 2012 (even extended support ends April 2017), I would feel that they may be behind the cut off. I won’t stage a huge argument, but if Micro$oft isn’t supporting it anymore, I don’t see why anyone else should.

2 Likes

Oh gosh no offense taken. :merry:

I was just speaking that as a community we could throw them a bone since we’re awesome nice people and just have a legacy thread for them?

I wasn’t asking to support it, just take a freezeframe picture of what we have now, toss it up in a thread and label it so folks can find it since we’ll be moving on. The files aren’t huge for at least most of the mods.

3 Likes

I’ll be honest here (as a member of the community, not a moderator): I don’t see the need to support Vista in any way, shape, or form.

• Vista will be 10 years old come Monday.
  • The last major release (SP2) was over 7.5 years ago (May 2009).
  • Microsoft stopped providing patches (to non-enterprise users) over 4.5 years ago.

What about users on our Discourse:

• The last post that referenced Vista here on Discourse (before yesterday’s announcement) was in September of 2016.
  • Before that, the last references were April 2016, February 2016, and October 2015 (source).
  • To put that in perspective, we’ve had over 2,500 bug report topics since October of 2015. (This only counts new topics created, not posts, so it does not account for anyone who says “me too!”. It also does not consider users who posted more than one topic within that time, so that will inflate the number.)

That being said, the removal of Vista support was only announced yesterday. I think we need to give it some time to see if this is necessary. I could be wrong, but I do believe the devs can see usage of a branch on Steam - we might be able to get numbers from that.

3 Likes

Fair enough. I guess the Vista branch will be enough then. Cheers!

2 Likes