Rebirth of Dinotopia

For sure this is a dinosaur :smile:. I think you are moving into the right direction, if you want to mod your dinosaurs into Stonehearth. It was a good decision to straighten the legs and this thing above his head (which I have no clue how it is called).

What I am a bit confused with is the pattern above his head. This looks to me like a second pair of eyes, no? I think you are also using still quite some voxels. Keep in mind that you can scale the beast up later on. The 8bit-design Stonehearth is looking for can be understood as “as less voxels as possible”. Not sure if you want to make them frightening. At the moment to me it looks more like a cute dino-puppy. Have you tried to play around a bit with exaggerating? E.g. you could make this stuff above his head much larger (which I think it is also in reality). You could extend his tail and make the legs a bit smaller but his head overall larger… stuff like that. Just some thoughts…

as @voxel_pirate mentioned, this is definitely an improvement! my initial feedback would be in regards to the horns…

you might want to try experimenting with the existing look used in the mammoth?

or take a look at the @Agon’s model here

These are some good tips my friend, and i’m glad you like the model. For the Frill (object on his head) I added a few “eye spots” to give him more coloration and make him more vivid instead of the main tan and green. I am still trying my best to get the least amount of voxels, and have me still agree with it. I will try and enlarge the frill and maybe improve the design of it as well. But as always, it is best to “Do one thing, at a time.”

I see here you come from my friend, now that I compare the mammoth tusks with Triceratops’s horns, I can see it is in need of improvement. I will try and fix this problem as soon as I can. Of course this is still just the model, and with your feedback I will do my best to improve the future models as well.

1 Like

As I begin repairs to the First member of our Saurian Dinotopian, I will like to make another announcement.

The Dinotopian Hatchery has been receiving new eggs, as we speak, and a new member has taken his first steps. Though he is still young he will no doubt, grow to be the greatest addition to our society, Please help me welcome our next young member of Dinotopia, The Skybax!
(formerly known as quetzalcoatlus)

1 Like

Here we are my friends, a new and improved Triceratops, completed with longer tail, Larger frill, and New Frill design!

Better style, or a few more lessons in Footprint class.

1 Like

definitely coming along … very solid design! i like the adjustment in the horns and frill… :+1:

Thank you for the feedback, and what do you think of the basic concept for the skybax, I feel like, I should try the other design used for the book in the video, instead of the duller version used in the movie…

i think you have the shape down, but it seems like you are using a massive amount of voxels… have you tried making ‘simpler’ versions of these dinos?

remember, you can scale the creatures up in game (as is the case with Cthulhu)… :wink:

I’m honestly trying, do not worry Steve, its simply a matter of practice and acceptance with how I create the models. sometimes when I see the model, I just get this weird feeling that it could look better, and it becomes slightly larger as a result.

Our skybax population has been on the uprising and the chicks have now been gaining there mature colorations, I now present the new and improved Skybax.

1 Like

My Fellow Dinotopians, Once again our City grows with Rapid Pace, Our newest member will be both the greatest saurian life partner, but also the largest help to the functionality of Dinotopia. The living bus has arrived. Please welcome our newest member Brachiosaurus!

Now done in the least amount of voxels, I have used so far. :smile:

2 Likes

Along with the arrival of our Brachiosaurs We have developed the required materials to create the carriage, needed for transportation.

Bus routes will be available soon.

1 Like

and he looks most similar to what we might see in SH! :smile:

well done!

My fellow Dinotopians, I bring news of the upmost importance, Our Skybax population has grown large enough, and strong enough today, to begin the Skybax Corp. Captain Oolu has begun training the first new recruits of the Skybax Riders. With that it is a pleasure to display the saddles our new riders will use.

I will begin work on improving past models, and introducing new ones as always.
Until then… “Breath Deep!” (ill let you finish it off ;))

1 Like

Just an observation but you’re able to split the different body parts into different matrices right? Because that’s going to need to happen if you plan on actually modding them into the game as it’s require for animation.

I believe you can, that’s how they made the wolf animation from what I believe.

Hello again my fellow Dinotopians, sorry for the wait, was off in the Dinotopian College for new recruits. I have just received word that a new member of Dinotopia has emerged from the Hatchery. Say hello to our friend Ankylosaurus!

1 Like

By using the Triceratops model as a reference, We should see a new dinosaur coming soon, The Chasmosaurus.

Tell me what should be changed before I begin on the real model…

You’ve definitely got a good base to work off with your models.

The best thing I could say to you is check out @voxel_pirate’s exceptionally helpful guides and tips.

Check out the model’s that we have seen in the livestreams for inspiration.

In regards to the triceratops … I’d say you definitely need some more colours in there for the … hide? … skin? … as at the moment it’s a rather large green block!

Keep at it though, perseverance is king!

1 Like