Qubicle: Tips & Tricks for beginners

@EpicDwarf If you open Qubicle, you are in a mode which is called “Model”. Here you cannot edit, just look, resize, etc. If you want to adjust an existing model, you need to change first to the mode called “Matrix”. You see an indication of the mode in which you are on the left side of your screen, just below this cube (with lables like “Front”, “Right”, “Top”). Changing works either by clicking on the mode or double click your model with the left mouse button.

Once you are in the Matrix-Mode, you can select a color from the color map on the bottom left. If the color you want is not present, just click on the very bottom, very left… there are two squares, one colored black and one white (st the beginning). If you do this, a selection tool will pop-up.

The last thing you need now is to select the “Pencil Tool”, which you can find also on the left side of your screen in the section called “Tools”. It is the second tool from the top in the left column.

Now you should be able to change the colors.

not that you need more help after @voxel_pirate’s excellent response, but in the event you want to see someone walk through most of the tools, this is a great getting started tutorial

@voxel_pirate

I tried changing the mode, but it won’t let me.

Also, I have the free version of Quibicle.

Do you have a blank screen, as you start Qubicle, or have you created / loaded a model already? If you do not have one, start by creating with “Create:Box” on top right (6th icon from the right on the very top). This will create a matrix with the dimensions you are selecting. Afterwards you should be able to adjust it as described above.

@voxel_pirate

I am currently making a model of a sword.

In other words, I have created a model.

Be sure to chose the right tool also. If you have the “Add Cube”-tool selected instead of the “Pencil Tool”, you will try to add another cube, which might not work as your matrix could be limited and you try to add outside the boundries.

Maybe you can make a screenshot where you are stucked?

@voxel_pirate

Well, I downloaded the free version of Quibicle, so the program won’t allow me to use the Pencil Tool.

The free version is not limiting the use of the pencil tool. It is simply grayed out if:

1. You do not have a model created yet in the tool itself (which is not the case as you have created a model).
  2. You are not in “Matrix”-Mode.

Somehow you must be stucked in “Model”-Mode. Can you ensure that you are in the right mode by double clicking on the Matrix of the model you have opened?

@voxel_pirate

For some reason, it won’t let me switch fom the Move Tool to the Pencil Tool

Unfortunately I have to leave now… take a look on this video. It should explain how to switch to the right mode. I assume that there is just a simple step missing. Would be the first time that I hear about such a bug otherwise and as mentioned, the free version is not limiting manipulation on a model.

@voxel_pirate

Nothing is working! I even tried re-downloading the program!

Edit: Yes!!! I finally got it to work!

Btw. in one of the videos I have created to explain the animation process, you will find an introduction to Qubicle. As this seems to be a popular topic and there are not that many videos on Qubicle available, I was just thinking to create one or two next week. Let’s see if this works out.

1 Like

which seems very odd… these would certainly be very welcome though! :smiley:

Just uploaded a beginners tutorial / introduction into Qubicle Constructor. Maybe of interest for someone who just decided to start working with it…

3 Likes

wow, 40 minute beginner video… thanks for putting that together! :+1:

i’m sure i have some extra internet points floating around here somewhere…

1 Like

In the last week working with Qubicle I came across some additional “lessons learned” I want to offer to share. In case someone is interested…

3 Likes

as always, i love the accent… i realize that’s not the selling point of the video, but i find im forced to pay attention! :smile:

importing that text was very slick, and seeing those shortcuts in action makes me want to fire up qubicle again (only to be disappointed in my efforts, most likely)… still, thanks for putting this together…

very helpful indeed! :+1:

nice, I just learned that there is a texture set button. I saw it earlier but never knew what it did. :+1:

So it was already worth it to upload the video :wink:.

Excellent work!
I’m Going to be making a video tutorial fregarding the same topic tonight on youtube. If it’s alright with you, can i add this as the “written” tutorial?

1 Like