PvP, which Alpha build do you think it'll be in?

@xcomvic This WONT be another Minecraft or Terraria… The play-style is different. The main part of this game is, quote on quote: Stonehearth is mainly gonna be about the building and crafting aspects.

2 Likes

@Prof_Crafter I am pretty sure that he is asking why they would make it to be another MC or Terraria, not saying that it should be another version of that game.

Umm… I personally get WHAT he is saying. Still not clear as to the WHY.

“Why be another Minecraft or Terraria” doesn’t make sense in any context as regards to Stonehearth.

2 Likes

well, i cant speak for the devs (even though i like to pretend i do), but one thing is for sure… they would just hate to be another minecraft… imagine having to roll around in all that money, day in and day out…

perish the thought! :smile:

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t think we’ll see co-op for a while let alone PvP. I don’t think that’s coming into play until late in the development phase, maybe July next year if they’re aiming for early September 2014.

As for the Minecraft/Terraria comparison I don’t understand please elaborate.

We could always attempt to brutalize pvp into being once we get saving and combat. Just import the city from the save and set it as an enemy faction and see what happens.

1 Like

I’d have a hard time imagining that any PvP would be in the game until very late in the development. It would be difficult to see any competition spawning out of this until the main game has been more or less completed, and balanced. The latter is exceptionally important, as RTSs tend to have a lot of balance issues early on. Alpha, Beta etc. versions are going to be prone to many trials and tribulations, therefore making any reasonable competition pretty demanding. I could see co-op working fairly early on, but anything outside of “hey, look at us populating the same map!” seems to be rather unbelievable. Be it my skepticism or not, this is how I’d see it. And even in the latter case, resource management needs to be ironed out! You don’t want two people to decimate the landscape in a maelstrom of neoliberal mayhem. This is obviously assuming that you’d take locations close to each other, and not simply fly to opposite ends of the map, never to see each other again. Some cooperation would be therefore expected. What is in store in regards to this though, I cannot [obviously] say. :smile:

1 Like

I don’t think you really can compare the games. The only thing they have in common is the graphical theme. What you can compare Stonehearth to is timber and stone. I am getting more concerned every day that Stonehearth is going to be a rip-off of timber and stone, with a somewhat more easy-on-the-eyes graphical engine.

If you don’t know what timber and stone is, it can be found here:
http://www.timberandstonegame.com/?page_id=13

Dwarf Fortress? Gnomoria? Towns? Castle Story?

We’ve had this discussion before, whilst I can see where the comparisons are with Timber and Stone, there are substantial differences.

For one thing Timber and Stone is a lot more micro than Stonehearth is aiming for.

@SteveAdamo is one of the head honcho’s over there so he’ll be able to inform you more than I can.

Edit:

Taken from the Reddit AMA:

Q: What do you see as your competitors? Minecraft? Cube World? Castle Story? Timber and Stone?

A: I don’t think in terms of competitors, because this is a brand new genre and there’s room for multiple games.

First, even though we use voxels, we don’t play like Minecraft or Cube World at all. Castle Story, Timber and Stone, Towns, and Gnomoria are all better comparisons.

But all these games have their own spin on the “city management with building and crafting” genre that’s developed, which is great! For Stonehearth, we’re 100% focused on building the kind of game that we want to play.

See also:

Dragging it all up tonight aren’t we!

1 Like

Don’t go getting all upset with me QQ

Say what now? :wink:

Just because they’re voxel based…their styles are very different. Tom is an obvious artist, his models all sharing small themes. They have much cleaner textures than MC, with the wood blocks in MC for example looking pretty nasty, with ridiculous shading everywhere, whereas SH has a nice clean look, with some shading but a far more limited palette and far larger pools of identical colours together. I find it odd how so many compare this graphically to MC just because it’s voxelly…is that all that you see in it? :stuck_out_tongue:

As for T&S, they are of the same genre. It is going to be similar to T&S. And Dwarf Fortress. And Towns. And Gnomoria. And the devs have already stated this. Of course, the specifics of gameplay won’t necessarily be anything like similar. I’m sadly no expert on T&S and haven’t actually played any of the games I listed above. However I’m doubtful that they’ll all share the same class system, crafting system, building system, combat system (although this is being reworked currently so we can’t actually compare this as we don’t know what it’s like) etc.

It’s to be similar to T&S, but undoubtedly different. :wink:

1 Like

Don’t make me cry! :smile:

Edited my post to give you some more discussion to read into :slight_smile:

1 Like

and doing an admirable job of it too!

but yes, we’ve been down this road a handful of times… will there be similarities between all the titles mentioned? of course… can they each, in their own way, bring something unique to the table? absolutely…

group hug + :rainbow: = :dancer:

2 Likes

i believe it shall be in alpha 1.5

Am i the only one thinking that they wont be done soon enough for the release in september? :c

Well we’re on Alpha 3 so …

It is looking likely that they’ll still be working on the game after September, but the game we will be playing in September will be a significant improvement on what we had in December.

It’s not like the earth will shatter if they don’t have everything completed by September, let’s just take it month by month and see where things are.

I see what you mean but for those who pre-ordered the full release on september, they are expecting something big. if not every classes are done till then they will most likely be very mad and will desire some sort of compenssassion.

Better that than do what EA do…

1 Like

Did you see Stonehearth: Free to Play Edition? That was a blast :smile:!

There’s no reason why the version that is released in September isn’t significantly fleshed out. Will it contain everything? Probably not, but it should still be very playable.

It’s not like they are abandoning ship come September, everything will be there eventually.