Plant-seeds mechanic: How do they work?

Can someone summarize how seeds work, or point me to an existing summary?

When planting seeds with the “Place” tool, I noticed that

• Some seeds will regrow once the plant is harvested (e.g. Hearthbud).
  • Some seeds don’t regrow (e.g. trees, fox lily).
  • The amount of seeds obtain when harvesting varies by plant.

E.g. when harvesting trees, I end up with less seeds than trees, thus requiring farmers to produce saplings in order to have sufficient tree growth, though this works only for plants native to the current culture.

Supposedly [it is possible to learn new seeds for farming by clicking them], though I have not yet been able to reproduce this (read it only just now and all my seeds are tucked away in urns).

Another issue would be, if it is possible to make my hearthlings auto-replant trees after they have been harvested; Replanting dozens of trees isn’t the most fun task Hearthstone has to offer, after all.

Everything regrows except trees. Foxlilly and sunflower are exceptions because they are quest items.
Seeds are random, sometimes you can end with 4 seeds from a single cut tree, sometimes you cut 10 trees and no seeds drop. Seeds decay overtime and disappear if not used.

The farmer seeds are different. It is a little crate with the plant draw on its face. You have to place it in the world like other decorations, and once placed click on it. It will have a button on its ui to use it, and once used your farmer will have that plant as a crop.
These seed crates are only obtainable through traders, they ask for other plants in return. For example, 8 brightbells for 1 watermelon seed.

Thanks for the explanation ^^

By any chance, is it possible to plant trees in a manner such that they will be automatically replanted after harvesting? (e.g. by creating a building that includes tree-saplings).

No idea, never tested. I know in the past this worked with potions, you could have a building with potions in it and when used they disappeared, but the build thought it was missing and request a new one to be placed

1 Like

That would explain, why for me Tumbleweed always dies out (since I rarely plant the seeds).

This doesn’t match my experience; When harvesting trees and replanting them instantly from seeds, I always had them die out within a few generations, until the farmers produced saplings.

ah, i can help you there: every “tick” you do on a tree has a chance to spawn either wood, or a seed, with a percentage chance. the LARGER the tree, is, the more ticks or rather “chops” with the axe it needs to be gone.

to get the most out of your wood, plant your trees in such a way that they dont overlap in their largest form, so they can grow that large. so when you only chop down what you need a bit at a time, and always plant new seeds when you get them, your trees will have enough time to grow large. that way you can actually GAIN forest, as opposed to losing it.

TLDR if you ahve 50 wood or more in your inventory on average, you have cut down too many trees, too quickly. (now if you cut it down for a big build that NEEDS that wood, thats another matter)

Don’t worry, I was just exaggerating. From the code, big oak trees will have an average of 1.36 seeds per tree

I have an average of 200 for Raiya’s children, 400 for the Ascendency, because I don’t want to constantly change my forest layouts :slight_smile:

It is still puzzling. The less seeds I have, the less dense I plant the trees, so eventually I should have been harvesting only fully grown trees.

Combined with the (for me) unexpected decay of seeds, that might explain why I’m depending on saplings so much though. Since the seeds can’t be replanted, before the hearthlings have collected them, I may end up replanting only some of the seeds in each generation, without even noticing seeds collected later, which just decay.

Turns out, saplings are not available in the build tool. Makes sense I guess.

Tree farming in some form is something that is being looked into in ACE.

1 Like