Performance, game is not playable (2820)

Good morning,

after the last update i cant play the game, everything is lagging, freazing.
so, there is no fun to play that game. :cry:

I was just about to start a thread saying the exact opposite and how great the game is running … :smiley:
Does the game behave like that right from the beginning? I mean right after starting a new game.

2 Likes

I have the feeling the unstable right now is in way of performance worse than the one before.
But as its unstable, that just means what it means. After all, i think performance is good on my PC.
And that means much as its an more old one. You schould Post you PC stats so we might get an idea how
good your PC is.

My is:
AMD Athlon X250 Dual Core (3GHZ)
4 GB Ram
Radeon R7 240

So its a very cheap setup and surely not up to date, still i could play up to 8 hearthlings without lag in the
last unstable. So…its real good especially if you think about my pc and that its an alpha.

Also what you could do when you have an old pc, like me, minimize all option at at graphic.

That description almost makes mine seem like it is mid range computer…

Intel B960 dual core (2.2ghz)
4gb ram
Intel HD integrated card (Most likely the 3000 series, as it doesn’t show which one.)

In the A13 version I was able to handle up to 15 and that is where things started to degrade.
In A14 it is able to handle at least 12, and sure even more likely the full 20; or close to it.

Of course like you I have to minimize a lot of the options; exception is light count, which really only affects nighttime play. Right now been having that at minimum, just so I can playtest things. Still trying to see how many hearthlings my computer can handle in the current unstable version. Haven’t played long enough to reach what I have in A13. I am slow when comes to increasing population. Don’t always add hearthlings when that pops up. :slight_smile:

Still good to see improvements which by comparison is quite a improvement from A13 to A14. :smiley:

Hey there @kanalgrufti, in the game that is “lagging, freazing” did you start a new game, or load a save from a previous version. Also, could you upload (or copy and paste) your stonehearth.log for us? Possible there is something in the log that would indicate what is going on.

i have load a savegame.

here is the file.

And here is my dxdiag

What i can add to that is that i tested out the Version now a little more.
And it has really some lag now, even with a fresh started city.
I have the feeling that this lag has nothing to do with overall performance
but with something that just happens all 3-5 seconds.

Did not happen with 2807, couldnt test 2818 and only 2820
so i cannot say wich of these versions implemented that bug.

I’ll agree performance seems to have taken a hit in 2820 and I had my first total game freeze (had to kill from task manager) last night trying a brand new game, not loading one of my older ones prior to 2820 as there were old bugs in those saves.

Goog i am not alone with this problem. Now we need a performance update.

Sounds like a incompatibility issue with your guys’ computers. The guy asked for a .log file.

I cannot say what the issue is. Yes, I did ask for a stonehearth.log file, as it usually contains useful information. I personally had an issue when the game update from dev-2807 to dev-2818 that was easy to identify from the logs, and had a nice clear solution, which is why I asked.

That being said, @kanalgrufti is not the only one to report performance related issues in the most recent dev build (dev-2820), so the log might not reveal anything at all.

1 Like

here it is

stonehearth.log (115.2 KB)

@kanalgrufti, from a quick look at your log, it would appear that similar to my issue updating from dev-2807 to dev-2818, some files did not update properly, as you log has a large number of references to “missing files”. Additionally, the logs note that modules may have been modified. My recommendation would be to open the mods folder, delete the stonehearth.smod, radiant.smod, rayyas_children.smod, and rayyas_children_ui.smod files. Once you have done that, open Steam, right click on Stonehearth, select the local files tab, then click Verify Integrity of Game Cache. After loading, it should inform you that 4 files have issues (they’re missing) and prompt you to redownload. Once complete, you should be all set to resume playing.

While I cannot guarantee this will fix the performance issues, it is a good first step. Let me know what happens.

1 Like

Sorry but it is not really better.

In the first moment it is some more faster, but then the hearthlings are getting slower. An exaple, the farmer goes to his field, … … … … … … … … he work with the field, … … … … … … … … then he do the next one. between every action there is a breake. And the game is still lagging.

I have uploaded the logfile again.
stonehearth.log (198.2 KB)

Alright, not sure what is going on. Will need to wait for @albert or @Ponder to take a look…still seeing some missing files in the logs, but this might be related to the hair/hat changes in the recent versions as you are loading an older save.

Selected section of log for devs:

renderer.render_info | could not load qubicle file: invalid file path '/stonehearth/entities/humans/female_2/head_2.qb'.
renderer.render_info | could not load qubicle file: invalid file path '/stonehearth/entities/humans/male_1/body.qb'.
renderer.render_info | could not load qubicle file: invalid file path '/stonehearth/entities/humans/male_3/body.qb'.
renderer.render_info | could not load qubicle file: invalid file path '/stonehearth/entities/humans/male_2/head_1.qb'.
renderer.render_info | could not load qubicle file: invalid file path '/stonehearth/entities/humans/female_2/head_1_sandy.qb'.
renderer.render_info | could not load qubicle file: invalid file path '/stonehearth/entities/humans/female_3/head_2.qb'.
renderer.render_info | could not load qubicle file: invalid file path '/stonehearth/entities/humans/female_3/head_2.qb'.
renderer.render_info | could not load qubicle file: invalid file path '/stonehearth/entities/humans/female_3/head_1.qb'.
renderer.render_info | could not load qubicle file: invalid file path '/stonehearth/entities/humans/male_3/body.qb'.
renderer.render_info | could not load qubicle file: invalid file path '/stonehearth/entities/humans/female_3/head_3.qb'.
renderer.render_info | could not load qubicle file: invalid file path '/stonehearth/entities/humans/female_1/head_3_blonde.qb'.

ok,
i will soon try it with a new game.

thank you for your help

Hi,

If you continue to see this problem in a new game, could you please let us know what seems to be spending most of the time in your task manager? That’s the little bar in the bottom right corner of the screen. It’s usually dominated by blue, yellow, or brown. If you click the bar, it will give you more information about where the time is going. If you could describe how the bar is moving (e.g. mostly blue, but sometimes mostly yellow) and/or post a screenshot, it would really help.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Also, I’m looking at the log and there are some references to slow objects which don’t appear in the save. It would be very helpful if you could try this:

1. Run the game for a few minutes when it’s laggy.
  2. Manually save the game (this part’s very important. don’t use auto save!)
  3. Copy the stonehearth.log and save game to Google Drive so we can download
  4. Post the links here!

Sorry the game is running slowly for you. Hopefully this information will help us speed it up again.

Here is the log file after manuel saving

stonehearth.log (125.8 KB)

Here is the manuel save file

Thanks for your help

3 Likes