Optimizations Soon?

Why is it that one thread is working at 100% 4.6Ghz none stop even when game is paused?
It’s very strange behaviour for it to work that crazy

Even main menu runs 1 thread 100% if you don’t lock fps with for example VSYNC

I’m at 13 hearthlings and game is totally unresponsive on 6 core 12 thread cpu.
After save and load it went kinda back to normal responsive still not same as A23 tho.
Running at 30fps atm which used be at at least 90 this far into the game.

I lost more than 50% of my performance since A24
My previous start of a new town used to be 120-150fps now its 50-60
Feels to be like Performance got a serious degrade with A24 compared to A23.

Game needs to get some serious optimizations because it can’t be that this game should require a beast pc
I think customers that look at this game would think that you could even play it on a low medium end machine but that’s far from true. I know this is early access of course but wondering if we will see some big optimizations in the long run.

Are we seeing performance improvements anytime soon?
How have performance degraded for everyone else since A24 came with the New Weather and Updates?

2 Likes

Yes, we have just started a major performance pass.

My previous start of a new town used to be 120-150fps now its 50-60

Framerate is a poor measurement of performance in this case for 2 reasons:

• FPS Versus Frame Time - the difference in computation time is not linear to FPS. Additionally, while we’d like to get the game to a more stable 60 FPS, refresh rates higher than that are not a goal for us.
  • Stonehearth runs as 2 separate parts - a server which runs the game simulation, and a client that renders the world and allows you to interact with it (yes, this is true even in single player mode). FPS reflects client performance, which is affected by server performance, but is certainly separate from it. We are currently focused on improving server performance because that’s particularly bad, and that’s what limits town size and player count. Later on we plan to do a client/graphics performance pass as well, but that isn’t starting just yet.
12 Likes

Totally agree, this performance downgrade can surely make many players stay in Alpha 23 or Alpha 21 because their PCs “can’t run the game” anymore.
All this new features are great and all, but it’s necessary that people can actually use them.

60 fps sounds great as long as it’s aimed for mid range pc hardware or lower which means more people can enjoy at least stable 60 fps :slight_smile:
Great to see that you guys are working on it and looking forward to see it in the future :blush:

1 Like

i can confirm that the fps doesnt show the games performance - i have 30-60 fps, cpu with 40% (8core) and ram of 70% (16gb) usage - but at 12 hearthlings the ai and ui just start lagging because it cant process it anymore :wink: mostly the downbar shows the game is stacked with 95% lua xD

1 Like

well to be fair its not so much FPS as “hearhtlings that keep moving fluidly.” even in multi now my fps stays great, even if we hit like 55 hearhtlings. its just that the gameplay aspect just stops after a while… :stuck_out_tongue:
(im one of the lucky ones where my processor just says “screw the extra 3 cores, MAKE ONE HAVE THE POWER OF THE GOOOOODS” which totally helps in stonehearth performance ;’)

3 Likes

Downbar for me most time says 90% idle

Game uses most time 20-30% cpu, 60% gpu and 28% memory for me

Same with the UI here. After playing for a while, the UI becomes increasingly unresponsive. If I want to open the crafting menu after a click, it takes up to 6 seconds for the window to appear which didn’t take that long before.
I played for so long that the UI literally froze in the end. The game was still running and all hearthlings were still moving, but I couldn’t do anything because of the UI being dead. Restarting the UI didn’t help either. I couldn’t even open up the menu to quit and had to force-close Stonehearth because of it.

I also want to add that there are no more invader notifications, making enemies very unpredictable. Before you notice them approaching, they’re already attacking the hearthlings.

1 Like

Praise Be to the Bunny Gods!

Just curious, will this (or part of it) land in Alpha 24? Just wondering since I know Steph said before that performance was the main focus of Alpha 25 at some point.

1 Like

These optimizations will go directly into the weekly unstable releases. Some will be included in this week’s release.

8 Likes

I’m feeling a bit confused with Stonehearth atm.

Brother PC
My brother runs a i7 3820 @ 3.6ghz 4 core 8 thread with 16 GB DDR3 and Nvidia GTX 680 2GB

My PC
I run a i7 3930k @ 4.5Ghz 6 core 12 thread with 32 GB DDR3 and AMD 7950 OC 1000/1350

For him the game runs pretty normal and his cpu usage is lower than mine even tho my CPU is a stronger CPU + running it overclocked makes it even more powerful than his even tho my last thread works 100% 24/7 in Stonehearth from launching the game while his works at around 60-80% which makes no sense to me since my cpu is way stronger than his.

Our GPU’s are different but my 7950 is very close to the GTX 680 performance when i run it overclocked and has more VRAM.

For some reason his GPU workload is often higher like 70%+ to 100% while mine atm sits at 40-50% a bit into the game and probably related to that one thread running 100% for me while his 60-80% which has headroom.

To me it feels like something changed with my workload since the new weather system with the alpha 24 came out. Maybe something is not very optimized for AMD GPU atm which causes these issues for my CPU?

Next week i get a new GTX 1060 6GB tho so gonna see if my CPU load goes down then or not.

a bit a shame when total % of usage of cpu is 18% and gpu is 40% and not getting more fps or using hardware better.

CPU All Threads Usage 3930k 4.5Ghz

Total CPU
bild

Total GPU
bild

Trying to figure out why this is happening because to me there is no logic in this

30 Hearts 35 FPS on 1080TI and 4790K with 16GB ram on SSD and its feels like an old train.
But ther is mutch more possible!

1 Like

are you running the latest Windows 10 1803 or are you running older Windows 10?
Because i know my brothers Windows 10 is not as up to date as mine which runs 1803 and before 1709. I think my brother runs 16xx something

Last Version 1803.

it’s kinda interesting because in a MP world where my brother is host and together we have 50 hearthlings his game still runs smooth somewhere around 60fps

61% in 1080 TI all on in Grafics for this game and only 35 FPS in full speed but paused 127 FPS ?! I think the game needs mutch Optimizing.

1 Like