**Old post, had better idea, see new post!** Opinion needed Blacksmith fuel rework

Alright i once again need your opinion. ^^

I saw the post come by about the blacksmith not using coal and i it sparked an idea i already had for some tiem again.

I think that having to use one wood for every smelting is quite harsh. So i was think about making a fuel system that is quite simple and allows multiple sources as coal and wood to be used as fuel for the blacksmith smelting.

The system i have in mind is that the Blacksmith can craft fuel (forge fuel?) that is needed to smelt things. I was thinking about 2 wood for 3 fuel and 1 coal for 3 fuel. This makes it posible to use both coal and wood.

• I would want to use this system!
  • I would want to use this system but the ratio should be different!
  • I wound’t mind the system.
  • I dont like the system and would rather keep using the original stonehearth way.

0 voters

Thanks in advance! And if you have any other comments or suggestions just put it in the comment ^^

I also have been thinking about plainly make it so that the smelting can be done with either coal or wood but then the heartlings would choose the resourse and that can lead to unwanted situations.
Another option would be making a crafting recipe for all ingots with coal as fuel but that one already excists if am correct ^^

2 Likes

Crafting an extra fuel item before crafting the bar itself seems like it would cost a fair amount of time. I would just create a fuel resource that encompasses both wood and coal.

3 Likes

I can understand how this may work for some, but personally I feel it’s an unnecessary step. As I responded in that post, with the new seed mechanics there’s really no need anymore. RC has a very steady supply now that they can replant seeds.

Edit: Oops ya already saw that mod lol. Carry on :jubilant: As with everything, if you’re feeling your oats and feel it may be beneficial to some and something you wanna tackle by all means go for it! Just cause I personally wouldn’t use it, doesn’t mean a bazillion other folks would (kinda like facebook lol).

2 Likes

I was thinking about that but then the hearthlings choose the fuel type and you would not have control over it ^^

@Logo Yea i have read the post but personally i find the 1 wood a bar a bit to harsh so i am searching for a way to make it a bit more nature friendly ^^

Both thanks for the comments ^^

I was also thinking about maybe making the forge function with a refuel system similar to the repair on a turnip shooter. This would make it not cost any extra work for the player but the blacksmith will refuel the forge so every now and then with wood. I literally just got that idea xD

3 Likes

Now you’re forgin’ with coal…or whatever fuel ya use. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: That would be a nice idea. Maybe have the blacksmith pump the billows while he’s refueling the station.

1 Like

@moderators I want to remove my poll and replace it with a new one cause i want to iclude my second idea in it but i am unable to even edit my post since it contains a poll. I tried leaving the poll as it is and just post a seccond one below it but it would not let me edit it at all because it contains a poll xD

this should be the new post

Alright i once again need your opinion. ^^

I saw the post come by about the blacksmith not using coal and i it sparked an idea i already had for some tiem again.

I think that having to use one wood for every smelting is quite harsh. So i was think about making a fuel system that is quite simple and allows multiple sources as coal and wood to be used as fuel for the blacksmith smelting.

System 1 craft

The system i have in mind is that the Blacksmith can craft fuel (forge fuel?) that is needed to smelt things. I was thinking about 2 wood for 3 fuel and 1 coal for 3 fuel. This makes it posible to use both coal and wood.

System 2 refuel

Alright so another idea is to make the forge refillable. This would be similar to the engineer that repairs the traps. This system will remove the wood cost for smelting and instead the blacksmith will refuel the forge every now and then with wood (or maybe coal).

Multiple awnsers allowed!

[poll name=poll2 type=multiple min=1 max=2 public=true]
  • I would want to use this System 1 craft!
  • I would want to use this System 2 refuel!
  • I wound’t mind the system 1 craft.
  • I wound’t mind the system 2 refuel.
  • I dont like the systems and would rather keep using the original stonehearth way.
[/! [poll ]

Thanks in advance! And if you have any other comments or suggestions just put it in the comment ^^

I also have been thinking about plainly make it so that the smelting can be done with either coal or wood but then the heartlings would choose the resourse and that can lead to unwanted situations.
Another option would be making a crafting recipe for all ingots with coal as fuel but that one already excists if am correct ^^

Yea ofcourse ^^ that is why i ask the crowd and see what most people would want. Every vote counts and i love it that people let their voice be heard.

Altho i must say i even like my seccond idea more then my first so i would like to include that in the poll as well ^^

I was thinking about adding this to my Already excisting mod so i am actually seraching for a way which everyone at least wouldnt mind ^^
And i personally think the seccond one would be better then since it would not require any more effort of the player and i myself like that as well xD

1 Like

I had a similar though while playing Rayya :slight_smile:

1 Like

I liked this idea at first. Then I remembered that recipes that use “any resource of the kind” are a pain in the butt when you want to use a particular resource.
However, I also don’t like the “craft coal into abstract fuel” system. I thought about a recipe to turn wood into charcoal (hi Minecraft) and make all recipes use coal/charcoal interchangeably, then thought it is the same “any resource of the kind” situation.
On one hand, a dedicated fuel resource adds excessive complexity (and another source of XP for blacksmith). On the other hand, it gives us more control over what fuel we use.

All and all, I tend to stick to vanilla system. Wood isn’t that hard to find with the new seed/traders system.

3 Likes

Oops i saw i accidently closed the poll its open again but i actually want to change it since i have a new idea i describe a few post back.

I qctually like that sytem better but discourse wont let you edit posts with a poll

1 Like

@Yangzhoui I tried to edit your post, but on the right side the new poll didn’t look formatted, so I didn’t try to confirm the changes either.

Perhaps we need to close the old poll before trying to make a new one :thinking:

If things go wrong, we could try reverting to the previous post, but I doubt that it would save the poll results :confused:

@jomaxro do you know if admins can edit posts with a poll?

I have tried to close the poll and edit but that does not work either.

The wrong format is because you can not post a poll within a

details

you can not post a poll here

When you try to do that the actual post will have an [/! [poll] instead of [/poll].
When you go into edit mode the code will show the right poll but the actuall post will have have that small change.

For now i created a new post and i got it running so its fine now but that is a good thing to know for future cases.

I know one thing for sure and that is if you post a poll you wont be able to edit the post after that.

1 Like

Admins should be able to edit posts with polls, not 100% certain.

Perhaps it is the best to take a page out of minecrafts book, and have a place where you order fuel to be dropped off in the foundry, and let it last for as long as indicated by the code. Basically creating a new system, instead of trying to botch your old system to work with this feature.

I know that is a lot of work, but I have the experience from Peg Planning Mod that trying to botch in mechanics is not a good idea for (in my case) user experience and (I can see in your case) balance of the games systems. Luckily I found a way to do it legitimally.

(The piece of experience in question was a batch of pegs, made from one resource. I needed a recipe to craft a batch, which then had to be dissassembled by the player via pile mechanics. It worked, but it was confusiong to players, who found no recipe for the pegs altogether, yet expected to find it.)

I would like to see the blacksmith use Coal and the Carpenter have a charcoal kiln to produce “Coal” (charcoal and coal are very different, but hey videogame) That way having limited trees is not an issue, as you can just rely on mining coal.

This would give the carpenter a later game resource to produce. At the moment the carpenter is only used to make things on demand, with no other resource being refined by them.

tbh, it would help the ungodly problem of blacksmiths taking years to craft unnecessary items just to finally level up to craft tools, shields, etc

I have been thinking about adding this indd.

This was my idea in the new topic i created.

@Maethendias Thats is indd true. The lvling takes long and that would be a great way to increase the epx gain.

2 Likes