New building templates names not working?

I see a lot of people are having issues with the new builder. I am stumbling in many ways (although it is still AMAZING and I’m having a blast with it regardless of current bugs. Can’t wait for next release to smooth it out).

One issue I"m having regularly that I don’t see already reported is with the naming. The first two templates I created took names as I would expect (I typed in the text box next to the ‘pause’/‘build’ button and it saved them with those names when I hit the ‘save’ button. But after that, and for some time now, when I design a new building and try to type in that field it resets that text box back to a number. It seems it defaults to giving the template a number for a name (seems reasonable, to keep them unique), but my names keep disappearing and the number shows up.

I did find I can change this manually in the JSON of the template save file, but that’s a pretty painful work around. Also doesn’t take effect until I close and reload the game.
Finally, related to names, the saved name for these templates is a 32 long string of random hex (or random enough looking that it fooled me). That… doesn’t seem right. I would hope these saved names would match the names I give it (or even the number names it’s forcing on me).

Neat build tool though! High hopes for the future. Keep up the good work!

The display names are not enforced to be unique. You could make/download a dozen different templates all called “Carpenter’s House” and those would still need to be stored in your game folder somewhere.

Ok thanks, that explains that part of it… although if the names aren’t meaningful doesn’t that make it harder to sort/trade/share? Or is that all being done through a tool that handles it for you? I’m not currently trading templates, just making my own.

But the larger issue is still that if I were to make a dozen carepenter’s house templates, they would be named 1,2,3,…,12 because my names don’t take. Is anyone else having that issue?

I’m having the same issue. I can name a building, but as soon as I hit the Save-Button the name is replaced with the initially generated numeric value (and also saved with this value).

Is this really such a rare issue?

I had the same problem yesterday.

If I remember correctly, my problem was that I only typed in the name of the building but didn’t press enter (because if you klick somewhere else the name stays the same)

Maybe I remember it wrong but give it a try and consciously press the enter key before you save it as template.

2 Likes

this is my experience with it aswell (@max99x this is something ive noticed from day 1 of the new builder, could that be changed? (so it remembers the name instead of discarding changes when you click away from the name you were typing, making the actual enter-hitting less mandatory?))

@Moe2212 is right. You need to press enter when you finish typing. Otherwise the name is not saved and will revert to the original generic number upon saving the template.
The biggest problem is that it is not obvious that the name has not been saved and thus it is easy to forget about it. @max99x, Could something be done about this? Like the name being in red colour until it is properly saved? or not needing to press enter to save it?

Have fun, Kyth

1 Like

Thanks, that did the trick! :+1:

Adding to this, when I name a template it breaks thumbnail image. Is that known issue?

wait, what, how? my thumbnails work when i name them? any specific example names? (i dont use numbers in mine, just letters?)

Just letters here, It’s been like that for me the whole time.

Leads to very specific naming, haha

Prefix my names with letters to keep them grouped by tribe. For instance A is for Ascendancy, (ie) Acarpenter, Abunkhouse and so on. Nothing weird.

ah, yeah thats more organised than me. then again im on the longhouse MK XVIII by now…

1 Like

In the next release if you click off the building name field, it’ll save.

4 Likes

You didn’t actually press save. Renaming buildings can be done before/after you save the template, but somehow just by renaming it’s already saving it (without thumbnail, because the code for taking pictures is in the save template button). If you see a template without picture, try saving it again using the save template button.
If you rename it after saving it, it shouldn’t break the image.

1 Like

I thinks I understand what you are saying. Though I thought I was naming a saved building. Will investigate this evening. Thank you.

2 Likes