[NaB] Can't get the Carpenter to do Carpenter stuff

Hi All,

This is with the brand new build of the game. I built a workbench and the carpenter built some basic tools and some beds early on (like day 1-2). Fought some undead attacking at night then qued a bunch of items for the carpenter to make and put down the layout for a large home.

Carpetner spent their entire time building the home (not making doors or windows). Once home was done, the carpenter just sat by the fire, restocked the supply or was idle the entire time. No matter what I do they won’t go back to work and make items. I’ve tried switching out jobs with someone else, tried moving the workbench, basically everything I can think of but the carpenter just isn’t doing anything. I’ve tried opening and closing the shop numerous times as well.

Anyone with a similar problem? Also after posting this in General I just realized perhaps this wasn’t the best forum to put this…so I apologize in advance :smile:

• Edit - Currently have a few items in the que, going to see if I have stone to make the item on the very top of the que and maybe that is causing the issue? I just assumed the carpenter would go to the next item on the list they could make with the materials available…
1 Like

Unfortunately, they don’t go to the next item on the queue if the first item can’t be made due to lack of materials yet. Presumably it’s something they’ll add later. They have been talking about providing better feedback when problems like this arrive.

3 Likes

Ok cool that makes sense at least now!

Thanks for the reply!!!

If you do end up having the stone, or get it and the carpenter still doesn’t do anything, it’s possible he’s prioritizing the building instead of crafting the items to make the building. I’ve run into similar problems before so now I make sure my crafters are always finished crafting before I begin a new project.

Welcome to the community, @kellian1 :smiley:

You could be experiencing this, instead of a lack of resources, so if you notice something wrong, please answer here. I’m going to tag the report as ‘not a bug’ for the moment, but I’ll leave it open for your feedback.

^^ Same issue I think which I reported. Plenty of resources available but just refuses to do their actual work.

2 Likes

Turns out after review, I didn’t have stone to make the top item on the list. So the carpenter didn’t know what to do so therefore did nothing.

Here’s hoping for some sort of notification in the future if you are missing parts, make the item not “craftable” if you are missing components OR have the carpenter move on to the next craftable item on the list that can be made. At the very least some sort of notification…I was wracking my brain trying to figure it out :blush:

2 Likes

well that exact thought has been suggested many times before, lets hope TR does do such a thing!

1 Like

It would also be nice if the crafter could automatically repioritize items depending on in they have the materials or not. Such as if a carpenter doesn’t have a stone to make a mason’s hammer 'n chisel, he/she will automatically move that item to the bottom of the list in the workshop, or have it appeared grayed out in the workshop to show that the materials needed cannot be found.

On a side note, it could be cool if when a crafter is going to try and find an item that you currently do not have, he/she will go to the stockpile(s) that would normally have it, look around, then walk back to his/her workbench with a thought bubble above his/her head with a picture of the item needed.

2 Likes

To that effect, it would be nice to see what resources you have next to the resources needed. For example: wood 1/20 where 1 is the quantity needed and 20 is the quantity you have. That way, you could easily see if you are missing materials by seeing something like 1/0

Probably would be better for it to be 20/1 instead of 1/20

A post was merged into an existing topic: Carpenter Bug - wont build