Modding Stonehearth: first steps

Still not working for me. I will try again after the game gets an update. For now I will work on something else.

@Skull24 Can you upload the .qb-file you have created? Also if you can explain step by step what you are doing, we might be able to find the point where everything breaks.

1 Like

Before the new build.

I do the following

Mods -> stonehearth -> entities -> humans -> female_1, female_2, female_3 I change them all with these steps.

I edit female_1, 2, 3.json files and change the names of file (head_1.qb) and (body.qb) to this file (fiannahead.qb) and (fiannabody.qb).

I also remove these files head_1.qb and body.qb with these files fiannabody.qb and fiannahead.qb.

The fiannabody.qb and fiannahead.qb models share the same space and loaction. As the stock files.

I then zip the file and run the game ans the results were always the same. Headless towns people or the stock body and my custom body share the same space. But as a result they can not move or do anything.

Thanks for the help @voxel_pirate and everyone else. I really do thank you guys.

fiannahead.qb (35.8 KB)
fiannabody.qb (35.8 KB)

I am having trouble with the game opening after I have done as instructed by the steps posted from the link at the top of this thread. I do the steps listed but when I attempt to run the game, it doesnā€™t run. I really want to get into modding and would like help.

Whatā€™s stonehearth.log say? Itā€™s in the folder with stonehearth.exe. It should helpfully tell us whatā€™s wrong.

Error looking for manifest in stonehearth: invalid file path ā€˜stone hearth/manifest.jsonā€™.

Ok, the format for all mods include the default ones need to be either a folder containing everything or a .smod with the same name containing that folder. What youā€™ve probably got is a stonehearth folder containing a stonehearth folder which contains everything. Move the inner one out as you need only the one.

2 Likes

Thanks! I saw that happening but thought that was what was supposed to happen. Iā€™ll fix it next time I can and see if it works.

@Skull24 I could imagine that your problem is that you have not named the limbs appropriately. Your matrix for the head does not have a name, i.e. it is labled with the default from QC like ā€œMatrix_0ā€. Make sure that if you alter body parts, you also adopt the related name. Try to change the name of the matrix to ā€œheadā€ (F2)ā€¦ that should do the trick.

In case it works, I assume that the animations will not look properly as you have also changed the size of the matrix. Try to align it back to the size which is used by the standard matrix to prevent some offsets.

2 Likes

So while Iā€™ve been playing around with the ui I produced a .psd that splits all the parts of the crafting ui into separate layers. Itā€™s not particularly good and Iā€™ll probably improve it later but I figure it might be useful if anyone wants to reskin it for a mod. Here it is, I might split it up a bit more later so that it auto recolors stripes and such but itā€™s fine for now.

3 Likes

Now itā€™s coming up with an error message whenever I press new game. ā€œheader.compression == COMPRESSION_NONEā€

I havenā€™t seen that one before unfortunately, Iā€™d suggest making sure you donā€™t have any corrupted .smodā€™s or anything. @RepeatPan do you know what would be causing it?

Iā€™ve also updated the .psd base however dropbox seems to be having issues so itā€™s not up yet. The new thing is that I moved all the stripes and shadows into overlays so itā€™s now super easy to recolour everything. Just look for the files labelled " - EDIT" to know which ones determine the colour. For example my first recolour is here, itā€™s just a combo of dark grey and bone white, it still needs work but as a first look at an alternative crafting ui.

4 Likes

compression level sounds a bit odd, but then again this could mean so much nowadays. Itā€™s likely not the smod files (trying to 7z instead of zip them simply crashes the game, no message, compression level ultra or store donā€™t do anything either). What I can say with some confidence is that he sees a (failed) assert, the game assumes the compression (of something) to beā€¦ none, which is not the case.

However, so many things are compressed. Is Stonehearth expecting uncompressed PNG? Are QB in some way compressed? Thereā€™s too many possibilities to make a decent guess; the best way would be to diff the directory/smod against the original files.

I did and this is what happened.

Youā€™ve changed the body-files for only one variant of the femal settler, right? To me this looks like Stonehearth is not finding the files / limbsā€¦ which again I think is either due to:

• wrong naming of the files
  • wrong naming / position of the limbs

ā€¦ maybe check all the small details and make them as close to the initial files as possible (also check for things like the right file format, .qb vs. qmoā€¦ I know, but I would really check everything :wink:).

2 Likes

Okay, I will try that and let you know whatā€™s up.

@HSTF I had the same issue at first. When exporting the .qb file from Qubicle Constructor, make sure compression is clicked ā€œoff.ā€ Itā€™s on by default.

Thanks! I was wondering why the originals were at 32mb but the edited versions were at 5mb.

I keep getting the same results. I will wait till the next build and see what happens.

Side Note

Iā€™ve been busy working on a story and will show it to you guys soon. Hereā€™s the thing I want to make it an animated story. I will need everyoneā€™s help to make it happen. Well, if you guys want to and if you like it, lol.

excellent! would love to participateā€¦ what other details can you provide? :smiley: