[MOD] Water Mod

yeah cant get nothing to show up, it saying all true when i put commands in, but i cant find the water or source lol

Like @Relyss said, if you download the save, you should be able to run these commands:

call watermod:create_sinkhole 870 46 295 32
call watermod:create_spring 870 62 342 2 28 191 255
call watermod:create_spring 877 62 323 1 120 255 0

Anything else will create some spring or sinkhole somewhere else on the map. For example, you shouldn’t run the commands under the Console Commands header; those won’t work on the test world unless you change the coordinates. Make sure you run the commands under Example World Setup.

I was able to run those this morning and they worked fine. If you’re 100% sure you’re doing that, then there might be some weird graphical glitch on your particular computer. The rendering is pretty rough right now.

1 Like

It works just fine in test world, got it to recreate everything. The only problem I’m running into is knowing coordinates so when i try this on my map I dont just randomly place in the wrong spot lol

2 Likes

Hi!

Chessmaster, not to put a damper on the work you’ve put in here, but this is a bit of a no-no. As RP mentions, this mod basically:

1. Copies all of the hydrology service from the main Stonehearth mod
  2. Makes a few code changes
  3. Overrides the entire existing Stonehearth hydrology service with the modified one.

Great enthusiasm (really!), but this technique is utterly un-maintainable. It prevents the main Stonehearth mod, and anyone else, from enhancing the hydrology service.

Also (and this is just my personal thoughts on the matter), it would be great if you guys could restrain yourself from using the modding framework to reveal features that are obviously in development. The team has worked very hard on making an incredible, kick-ass water simulation, and stuff like this steals their thunder.

We haven’t revealed water for a reason, and would like to present it to you in all it’s glory, not as a half-implemented work-in-progress.

That said, the colored water enhancements are pretty neat. Once the hydrology service is complete it will be interesting to see how that sort of mod could be properly added to the game.

15 Likes

Hey!

Well, first the overwrites are temporary mostly so that I could learn how the hydrology service functions. Not ideal and not permanent but a necessity initially. In fact, even in the first version of my mod most of the overrides can be removed from the manifest and removed from the files. This will all be cleaned up in the future.

Second, do we have any guidelines on what work-in-progress features we should and should not touch in a mod? If you’re asking me to put the brakes on this mod I understand but would also like to have a more precise definition in the modding FAQ about this. I’ve in the past created several other mods along these lines as well (Taskmanager Mod and Ores Mod) so I didn’t think much on it this time :confused:

You guys are doing amazing work and I don’t intend to step on anyones toes or pull the rug out from under devs. Just very enthusiastic about this game and can’t stray away from a challenge. Please let me know how to proceed and keep up the fantastic work :smile:

3 Likes

That was the most polite “you’re in trouble” post I have ever seen… :blush:

5 Likes

Awesome for you to understand the whole “Stealing Thunder”.Thing :stuck_out_tongue: Always makes me happy to so good people on the internet! This continues to be one of the best communities in gaming.

3 Likes

:laughing:

I’ll second that… :+1:

3 Likes

Wait should I hold off on using this then??? :open_mouth:

1 Like

I think that might be for the best, yes…

2 Likes

I believe the modding community needs to know this in order to move on from this sad moment. While water is definitely not released, and therefore its folder should be left untouched, what about other WIP stuff that is an expansion of existing stuff and doesn’t have its own folder? How does one know whether or not a feature should or should be modified?

3 Likes

I think it’s pretty obvious that Tom’s saying that you shouldn’t touch anything of their that they haven’t released yet. Make your own mods, sure, but don’t touch anything of Radiant’s if it’s not already been shown.

1 Like

Yep, that’s the general consensus we’ve reached after talking with several Team Radiant folks. However, I am going to continue this mod but in the future I will be more careful about what I use/expose.

The next version of my mod contains actual game mechanics that I’ve come up with as well as a new item or two. I’ve also started removing some of the overrides but the remaining ones must stay for the time being in order for the coloring to work. If people don’t think that the coloring is useful then I can remove all of the overrides. Hopefully I’ll have my testing wrapped up here soon and I’ll push the update into the main post.

3 Likes

Did they give you express permission to carry on with this mod? Because as Tom said, it does kind of shit on their fun of showing off new features.

That said, if you do, I agree that although the colors are cool, I don’t see then having much practical use. Also, is it possible to make the water “creators” invisible?

3 Likes

I think this pretty much covers it right? Team R obviously have no intention on preventing modders from doing their thing, that would just be the antithesis of their intentions (in my mind anyway), but there is a difference between digging around and messing about with this stuff, and publishing it.

I think that’s probably all the guidelines we need for now - I’m sure something can/ will be written up in the future, but as a modder just be aware about what it is you’re doing. Don’t expose an unannounced/ unomplemented feature - the biggest issue with this is also like @tom said, it’s impossible to maintain, I imagine when features are implemented etc. they suddenly become a lot easier to toy with.

6 Likes

I have just released v0.2.0. This version is also still very incomplete but it’s better than v0.1.0 was :wink:

Changes

• Removed some of the overrides. What remains are needed to make coloring work and will be removed later
  • Added ‘Well’ item and functionality
  • Crafted by Mason using 1 wood and 1 stone
  • Holds up to 50 water
  • Continuously collects water from nearby water bodies (within 4 blocks in all directions)
  • Provides 2.5x more thirst quenching than open water bodies
  • Added ‘Thirst’ mechanic
  • Actions for finding water and drinking water
  • New hearthling attribute ‘hydration’ (min: -25, max: 75)
  • Observer for monitoring the hydration of the hearthling
  • Buff for indicating critical dehydration
  • Thought bubble for indicating need of water
  • Started on effects for Spring, Sinkhole, and Well (not yet working)
  • And probably more small things that I’m forgetting

Enjoy! :smiley:

2 Likes

IMO, the best thing to do is to mess around with the water code on your own if you feel you have to, but avoid releasing it to the public until water is officially released.

10 Likes

I would have to agree … we were all obviously very excited to see your work (and you’ve done an excellent job working with what the team provided!), but in light of @Tom’s post, I think it would be best to keep this work under wraps…

8 Likes

I guess that folder with the mp4 video of @Tom dancing in the studios shouldn’t be released either then?

3 Likes

Give me the s*** ^^ Youtube Charts Number 1 :smiley:

@SteveAdamo uppsss sry affect :smiley: