Minecraft Server Help

Ok, Working on it. I have to do alot, but alfie do you have a steam name?

What is the diffrence between .jar and .exe?

.jar is available for all operating systems, and .exe is Windows only. I reccomend using .exe if you use Windows, it’s a lot easier.

I have everything set up…except one thing… go down to running the server here — Tutorials/Setting up a server – Official Minecraft Wiki I do not have all that on my command prompt, I don’t really get what it is asking me to do, please help.

What file are you running? .exe or .jar?

.exe I have a windows, 7- 64 bit… I already have the latest version of java.

If that’s the case, then you should be able to run the file and then all should be okay.

Yeah, but how? Is my I.P my IP number? How do you create a server name.

To find your IP, go to this webpage. If you want to get a named server, you need to purchase a domain name.

I THINK I have one more step… give me a few minuets, then test out my mc server. Then we will take it from there. Stay present,cause It is ALMOST done. oh, and thanks

1 Like

No problem! Tech support is kinda rewarding. I feel like a nice person now.

Don’t feel, Cause I am stuck, I honestly am clueless, can you make one?

Can I make a server? Yeah I can, but I’m not going to because I won’t be able to keep it up a lot.

very well, i will, but write a paragraph of detailed instructions step by step…please detailed

The instructions on this page are detailed enough for you to be running your server:

If you go to a Minecraft related forum you will find more resources that will help you.

1 Like

Geo. I went there, I got stuck, I don’t get it now, I did everything on the page, but I got stuck on one part

What bit did you get stuck on?

Everything BELOW Running a 1.7.2+ server

What @Geoffers747 said, @YoahLow. To be honest, if you can’t understand how to set up a server, even with those instructions, then it’s either going to take a long time, or you shouldn’t really set one up. If you are thinking of releasing the server to the public, it’ll take a lot of your time. Making a server isn’t a set-up-and-forget process. It requires lots of maintenance and monitoring.

Also, again if you’re releasing the server to the public, and want it to be on 24/7 or at least a lot of the time, it’ll require money, or you keeping your PC on all the time (which I really don’t recommend). Normally, people purchase servers from dedicated Minecraft server hosts, which costs money monthly. It’s also dependent on how powerful you want the server to be.

TL;DR - If you can’t understand how to set a simple server up using the official instructions, you shouldn’t set one up. It takes a lot of your time away.

1 Like

You are not using a Mac so you don’t need step 3.

You are not using Linux so you don’t need step 4.

you do not need steps 5, 6, and 8.

Watch some video tutorials at the bottom, or on Youtube.

Edit: What @Alfie said.